Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The super-rich who don't pay any tax

1235»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Territt wrote: »
    and maybe some people should have to pay more for milk because they can aford to?

A relevant arguement if there was aloophole which meant that you get it free.

Jomery has a point, his paying more tax wouldn't mean that we get better services, the tax burden on us all would remain the same. We just wouldn't necessarily pay as much as individuals...
    Jomery wrote: »
    I take a taxi to work cos I can't stand digusting London public transport. And yes before you start, taxis use roads which are funded by taxes. But the bottom line is, if ANYONE had the choice of paying £20k tax a year or £50k tax a year on the same salary, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY would choose to pay £20k. I wouldn't mind having to pay the full £50k but whilst this loophole is in place why should I lose an extra £30k of my money and not directly see the result of where it's going (when everything costs billions)? As the article in this thread says, most of the richest pay next to no tax..and the country's functioning OK, poorer people can get themselves to work etc. Sure the country may be noticeably better if every rich person paid income tax (or maybe Labour would just send a few more air missles to Iraq) but don't hate the player hate the game, if these loopholes weren't so easy to exploit people wouldn't exploit them. In the same way most people would choose to download an mp3 for free rather than pay 80p for each one if they're just as easy to download as each other. Sure it's 'selfish' but then again Aladdin how much do you give to charity? Bet you could give a lot more, but instead you selfishly choose to spend it more on yourself on things you could live without.
    I give a fair amount of charity. I could perhaps give more, but then again I choose to pay my full taxes and I am both glad and proud to do so. And as a foreign national I could have looked at some dastardly scheme like yours. But I don't want to.

You're justifying something that is morally repulisive.. Simple as.
    Jomery wrote: »
    so focus on closing the loopholes rather than suggesting the game-players are at fault!
    I love the way you keep describing tax dodgers and cheats as 'game-players' :D
    I haven't read the entire thread but I have noticed two separate debates going on. One on the practicabilities and the other on the moral issue and the distinction has blurred, which I don't think is helpful.

Oh and I agree with Aladdin's love of Jomery's use of the phrase "game-players". Bang on the money. Everyone's playing the game,regardless of whether they wish to, and subsequently use the rules for maximum benefit.