Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

peppercorn sauce

does anyone have a foolproof recipe?

The last time i tried making it from scratch it wasnt very nice :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I usually just use ground peppercorns, bit of stock such as an oxo cube and cream, very simple but very tastey.
    I'm sure there are much more detailed and flavoured recipes about but I like this one.
  • Options
    What are you cooking Suze to go with the sauce ?
  • Options
    steak

Its not for today, I was just wanting a recipe in general as I used to use the one asda did in the tubs, but theye changed the recipe and i dont like it as much.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I usually just use ground peppercorns, bit of stock such as an oxo cube and cream, very simple but very tastey.
    I'm sure there are much more detailed and flavoured recipes about but I like this one.
    I also sometimes chops some onions up very small and fry them with the peppercorns first for added flavour and texture. I also add salt.
    Sorry forgot about these bits!
  • Options
    Right then. If you're frying the steak.

Fry the steak in butter and put in a small, peeled onion cut into quarters.

When your steak is to your liking. Rest it in a warm place and take out the onion, but leave any sticky caramelised bits in the frying pan. They add to flavour and colour. Pour off most of the fat from the pan.

Add about 1/2 pint of stock to the pan and as much cracked pepper as you desire. You can replace some of the stock with a glass of red wine and/or a shot of brandy. Boil rapidly until reduced by half or until of a thickness you like (ooo err) :)

Take off the heat and add some cream to your liking. Single cream is ok, but double is less likely to split/curdle. Return to a gentle heat and stir until heated through.

If you're not cooking steak but want the sauce, just fry some onions up first and carry on as before.
  • Options
    Oh and if you want to make it extra special. Add a glass (about a sherry glass's worth) of Madeira. Madeira goes really well with steak, or so i'm told.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    All I ever do is rub crushed pepper corns into both sides. Chuck it into a red hot pan and seal both sides quickly. I then add a little dry sherry, flash it up (beware of the flames) and then add a little cream. Jobs a good 'un.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    saving this thread, thankyou all :heart:
  • Options
    I use powder that you mix with half a pint of milk by a brand beginning with "s" that I can never spell. It's nice if you don't want to make some from scratch. It says it serves 4 but I have it all on my meal :lol:
  • Options
    schwartz?

Ive had that. Its ok, but you can tell its out of a packet.
  • Options
    any creamy sauce has to be made with a roux...
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    All I ever do is rub crushed pepper corns into both sides. Chuck it into a red hot pan and seal both sides quickly. I then add a little dry sherry, flash it up (beware of the flames) and then add a little cream. Jobs a good 'un.
    That's kinda how I do it too, minus the sherry though.
  • Options
    any creamy sauce has to be made with a roux...

No it doesn't.
  • Options
    My mate gf has a gooden! I'll get it tomorrow.