Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

trying out drugs for the first time when older

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in my mid-twenties and never really had that experimental phase where you try stuff out. Never been a smoker, or liked being around cigarette smoke. The only drug I've really used is alcohol. Part of me wishes I'd tried out some things, particularly cannabis. I had quite a protected upbringing and so was very wary of the dangers of drugs, and I guess I still am. So part of me is curious to try (which wasn't the case when I was younger) and part of me is still quite nervous about the idea. You often hear about the big risks of drugs for people who started using them in their teens and so on, and it's that sort of age that I think people start to try things. Are these risks any different if you start later on? (Obviously they still exist to some extent.)

Also, I have a girlfriend who (before I knew her) used to do quite a lot of weed and also cocaine. I'm a bit uncomfortable about it, which maybe gives you an idea of my insecurities about drug use, although I don't judge her at all because of it. I know she quite misses weed and would be up for using it again sometimes. If I was going to try something out then I'd probably do it with her. I guess cannabis is something I'd like to try, and I think sometimes it's good to do things which you wouldn't normally do, to try out new experiences. But at the same time I think I'd be scared of liking it too much, ending up doing it a lot and being at risk from some of the health dangers. Anyone else have similar feelings? Did any of you, or people you know, start taking drugs only when you were a bit older?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    -kenny- wrote: »
    Dont bother you've lasted this long without them

I'm not sure about that.

Tacs, whether or not you should try drugs is not an answer any one of us should give you. The decision is yours.

Certainly though if your intrested enough in trying a little weed, you have a perfect opertunity to do it with someone you love and trust, who's done it before - your girlriend.

In my experience drugs liek cannabis an ecstasy tend not to be abused by older more responsible users, though I know plenty of older people l with a problem with cocaine.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    From experiences of people that I know who started taking drugs when older, they were far more able to control their amounts consumed.

When you are young, you feel that you are indestructible and do not heed the warnings or advice on taking too many drugs. Older people, for intance, will turn down an E if they have had too many in the previous weeks or, if they feel that the weed is clouding their minds for a successful day at work, will lay off the stuff for a week or two.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Teagan wrote: »
    From experiences of people that I know who started taking drugs when older, they were far more able to control their amounts consumed.

When you are young, you feel that you are indestructible and do not heed the warnings or advice on taking too many drugs. Older people, for intance, will turn down an E if they have had too many in the previous weeks or, if they feel that the weed is clouding their minds for a successful day at work, will lay off the stuff for a week or two.

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The choice is of course yours, but I wouldnt think the risk of you using too much is that high. Because of things like jobs and serious adult life most older users know when its best to stop and use less and less as they get older.

Occasional use of cannabis doesnt come with many risks, though of course thats not to say its safe.

Talk to your girlfriend about it, see what she thinks and then decide if you want to try it.
  • Options
    same as everyone else - its up to you to decide whether curiosity has won over nerves. if you talk to your girlfriend about it you may be able to make up your mind easier.

take care
  • Options
    If yoo do decide to do anything, just take it real easy, make sure you're comfortable with it and make sure it doesnt get out of control.
  • Options
    tacs1895 wrote: »
    Never been a smoker, or liked being around cigarette smoke. Part of me wishes I'd tried out some things, particularly cannabis.

thats an interesting combination...
    i agree with what everyone has already said tbh, and if you take that advice you won't go far wrong :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »

Started when I was 'mature' and sure this helps me regulate the amount and the frequency... Looking back on when I was a teenager I would not have been able to handle the drugs as well as I do now...
  • Options
    Theres no right or wrong time to start 'using' drugs its up to you.

In my opinion you only live once in this life anyways so you may as well make the most of it. try to live a bit more for the moment i guess and look at drugs from a more balanced point of view rather than the biased image we receive from the government.

www.thegooddrugsguide.com is quite helpful
  • Options
    Tbh i don't think you will really benefit from trying drugs just because you haven't.

IME most people try/do drugs because it fits with their interests (pills for clubbing/dance music etc) or because their friends etc do.

If your perfectly happy without em, i'd stay away then think about trying them if they ever come to you.

Whatever you decide, research and be safe. :)