Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Referees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I've finished uni and I'm beginning the whole job application process...
Is it standard to have 2 referees on your CV, and who should they be, one work-related and one personal?

At the moment, I have one from an administration job a couple of years ago, and one from a charity who I've volunteered for for the past 6 months. Would they expect one from a university tutor? I don't really want to put one because a) they wouldn't know my name and b) never reply to emails/phone calls so I don't think it would be very helpful.
Do people ever put personal references on nowadays who just happen to be someone who've known them for a while?

So who have you got as references on your CV? (I know it depends on the job you're applying for to some extent...) :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be honest, i think recruiters prefer work related referees - you only really put a personal one on when you don't have two work related referees.

I've got two work related ones, my most recent boss and the manager of a bar i worked at when i was a student.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I have an academic and a vocational, but thats just because that is the norm for the jobs I am interested in.

Some people just put referees available upon request, and that way they will tell what you what kind they require.

Welcome to the horrendous job hunt! :p
    If you're applying for a job related to your course, and neither of your work referees are from the same type of job as you are now after then a lot of places would expect to be offered a referee from uni.

If either of the ones you have are from a similar field of work (can't work this out), or at least more relevant than your degree then don't worry about it.

Like someone else said, you'd only really have a personnal referee if it was for working with children/vulnerable people/highly confidential material OR you don't have the work related ones.
    Ok well I sent off the application earlier, put one work reference (although not sure if the guy even works for the company anymore!) and a reference from the volunteering charity. I should have perhaps put a uni one as the job is fairly related to my degree, however I just don't feel the tutors know anything about me.

Do companies obtain references before or after the interview procedure?
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Pink Soda wrote: »

Do companies obtain references before or after the interview procedure?

yeah I think so.

Did you not get on with any tutors at uni, whether they taught you or not? I had a few random tutors that knew me but didnt teach me.

If they dont know you remember, they cant say bad things I know they cant anyways, but I am just being silly
    Depends totally on the company, the job you are after etc. Quite a few don't ask for references until after they interview, that way they only have to bother reading references for people they like. Others get the references and only interview the ones they like the references/CVs of.
    I have always given work related references, and 99% the employer doesnt take up the references - they're just satisfied that you put them down!

it's good to make a point of asking the person you're putting down before you submit them as a reference because

a - it's polite, usually will make them feel happier about helping you out.
    b - some people get a bit annoyed if you dont and will refuse to give a reference.

I've been asked to give refernces for a few people and as long as the person you've chosen isnt bitter and twisted they will just put down what the emploer wants to hear :)