Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Home insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just rang up my home insurance (Halifax) to ask if they could repair the guttering over my garage which cmae off during some heavy rain and storm last month. Problem is, they need the exact date so they can check with the MET office!! I can't remember the exact date at all! I didn't call straight after it happened because I was really busy with A levels. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Comments

• Options
    Any hope you can work it out from when it happened in relation to your various exams? Or have a hunt around and she if there are any clues as to when the storms were.
  • Options
    I have no clue at all. All I know is that it was either before or during my exams because I remember thinking 'oh god I don't want to deal with this during my exams', but of course that doesn't help! I was thinking of calling again when I get heavy rain again and say it happened then (does that make sense?) which hopefully will be soon considering the weather! But I'm worried that if it goes through and the person comes out he'll be able to tell how long ago the guttering came off and I'm also worried because they record calls and they might say hmmm... why did she say it fell out a month ago and now saying it was yesterday? grrrrrr insurance!!
  • Options
    Could always try asking your neighbours, they may know if they also got any damage. Or call again and say it came down in the heavy rains, with your exams and the bad weather you weren't out round the garage much so don't know exactly when but it would have been between x and y days.
  • Options
    They will have made a note of the first call so you won't be able to just pick some other random day of shit weather.
  • Options
    i don't know how they expect me to remember the exact date. they never told me to note down dates of things when i started the policy. obviously i know now!