Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

In- Tray exercise Please help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have an interview tomorrow for a health care support worker in a maternity ward tomorrow and have been asked to do a in-tray presentation and i havent a clue what this is can anyone help

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

As I understand it - this type of test is where you get given a mythical in-tray in which people have placed different letters or things which you need to get done. What you have to do is review each of these and then say in which order you would tackle them.

So for example you might have a letter which needs responding to, an invoice which needs to be paid, an important meeting which needs to be arranged and lots of filing which needs to be done.

I have to set an interview test for someone this afternoon and this has just given me some ideas for that!
  • Options
    so is there anyway i can prepair for this
  • Options
    Learn how to differentiate between things. The usual selection you'll get is something that's important but not urgent, urgent but not important, important and urgent and not important or urgent.

You then have to show that you can prioritise your workload by identifying which needs to be done first etc.
  • Options
    Assuming it's what Wyetry said then I would have thought the only way you could really prepare is to have a bit of a think about what kind of things they might put in your 'in tray' and which would need doing before others, which can wait, which need starting.

A good starting point would be to say you'd always have a quick look through everything that's there so you know what there is to deal with, that way you'll be able to prioritise. It can also mean you can identify missing things sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    I'm not sure there is much you can prepare - I think its mostly common sense - usually these things will have a few thing which are glaringly obvious that need doing first - for example a blood sample needs to be sent of or a pescription delivered and then some will be less urgent such as filing with a few in the middle which need to be done today but not right away....
  • Options
    it says it will be a presentation though
  • Options
    No idea. Good luck though!
  • Options
    well i guess you'll be given the info and have some time to think about it and then present your findings/ideas back to whoever is interviewing you.
    good luck!
  • Options
    it says it will be a presentation though

Just incase you read this before you go - I imagine you will need to present to them which order you will do things and and explain why you have chosen to do it in that particualar order and then they will ask you a couple of questions. I doubt you would be expected to do a standup powerpoint thing with handouts or anything!
  • Options
    i did it but it was rwally hard, everythin that was in the list seams to have the same importance . well i know for next time but i find out on fri so ill let u all know
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for you advice x I got the Job today and i cant wait x I love children so what better job is there for me assisting babies to be born x
  • Options
    Congratulations :)