Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Male Hair Products

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Following on from -kenny-'s topic about men's hairstyle I wonder if someone could suggest a good mens hair wax/gel.

Basically my husband used to shave his head and only in the last year or so has been growing it a bit longer - He has been using a wax stick from Umberto Giannini but that has just run out - he doesn't like it that much because it takes forever to wash out, so... What can you suggest that;

Holds but with the slightly wet look
Lasts the evening without drying out and turning him into a frizzbomb
Is reasonably easy to wash out

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Avoid wax, it's fucking shit. It makes hair look greasy and generally is a pain when shampooing. Gel is for 14 year olds neds, so avoid that too.

'Bed Head: Mastermind', 'Bed Head: Manipulator', and 'Label M: Shaper' all give awesome styling/hold/texture. All three leave hair looking shiny, without looking greasy like wax/wet look gel. And if he wants awesome hold, he needs to finish off with hairspray. TRESemmé Freeze Hold does the trick for that.

EDIT: Also, all of the above last all night without turning frizzy, especially if hairspray is used. Easy as hell to wash out, too.
    V05 matt clay does the trick for me. It all comes down to what kind of effect you wish to have on your hair really.
    icey wrote: »
    V05 matt clay does the trick for me. It all comes down to what kind of effect you wish to have on your hair really.

Well he has quite a simple style, shorter round the sides with a bit longer on top - he goes for the slightly tousled/sticking up look (which basically means as little time as possible preening - put product in hair... rub about a bit... make sure it is all sticking up in kind of the right direction... go out)

:)
    fudge matte head is good..

if he wants a slightly wet look then just towel dry it and put wax or whatever on then
    After trying 10s of various different ones during my youth there were a few that slowly started giving me the look i was aiming for.

Then i tried Shockwaves Rough'n'Ready Matt Clay - doesn't give a wet look really though, but lasts all night, allows for a few reshapes and doesn't go frizzy.

Doesn't look greasy at all, and when i've been out camping, its usually "ok" the next morning too. Very easy to wash out, so gets top marks from me.

However, i appreciate the fact that since i first used it 3 years ago or so, i've not tried anything else for fear of them being crap, oh i lie, i used a Brylcreem one that was good if my hair was shorter than usual, (ie just got back from the hairdressers and he had been a bit scissor happy, just slap a load on and rough it up like a moron) *goes finds the name of it* reshaper gum i think... damn them keep changing the packaging!

Does leave it with a slightly wet look, but i found as my hair grew it looked less 'wet-look' and more greasy

My hair has always been a right pain though, thats why im reluctant to try any new ones now i've found one that does a reasonable job, although i've been tempted to try those bedhead and fudge ones... *off to view their websites, see if any would be suitable for his needs*
    Thanks for all your advice guys!
    fish paste hair putty
    Would somebody be so kind as to tell me what all the following actually are/do

Putty
    Wax
    Gum
    Clay
    Paste
    etc...

I've tried various ones in the past, and aside from wax leaving it greasy looking i've found no common property in either the actual product or the effect they have!

Which would people suggest out of the following:

Bedhead: Manipulator
    Fudge: Fat head / Hair Shaper
    Fish: Stoned styling clay

or anything outstandingly different, i suppose splashing out once on something different won't do any harm!

I have fairly short hair, that grows out up to around 2½inches on top, shorter back and sides; similar to splodgers fella, just have it roughed up a little on top, nothing too in your face.
    Putty - quite thick in texture, in my experiences seems to have the texture of something similar to prit-stik
    Wax - good for short and neat styles - rock hard & needs to be warmed up to work with it
    Gum - very sticky but has a good hold, makes the hair slightly wet-look but not 50's slick-y
    Clay - i use this, keeps hairs natural matte-look, pretty good hold but not that great for longer styles
    Paste - This stuff generally looks and acts like superglue
    Gel - Very wet look, the stuff young teens slick their hair up with
    Putty - quite thick in texture, in my experiences seems to have the texture of something similar to prit-stik
    Wax - good for short and neat styles - rock hard & needs to be warmed up to work with it
    Gum - very sticky but has a good hold, makes the hair slightly wet-look but not 50's slick-y
    Clay - i use this, keeps hairs natural matte-look, pretty good hold but not that great for longer styles
    Paste - This stuff generally looks and acts like superglue
    Gel - Very wet look, the stuff young teens slick their hair up with

Nicely summised!!

What sort of effect does Putty leave you with? looking around the various sites, bedhead/fudge/fish/hed etc... im undecided between their various clays it seems, but one or two of their puttys look worth giving a go.

I'm fairly happy with what im using now, but i cant help but feel theres probably something out there that would make it look even better (However, i can't describe what i mean by that! I don't really know to be honest, just in the sense some days i do my hair and think "yeah that looks spot on" without having to work at it)
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Nicely summised!!

What sort of effect does Putty leave you with? looking around the various sites, bedhead/fudge/fish/hed etc... im undecided between their various clays it seems, but one or two of their puttys look worth giving a go.

I'm fairly happy with what im using now, but i cant help but feel theres probably something out there that would make it look even better (However, i can't describe what i mean by that! I don't really know to be honest, just in the sense some days i do my hair and think "yeah that looks spot on" without having to work at it)

post a picture showing the top of your head and tell us what sorta look you're going for!
    Nice one, i'll see what i can dig out when im home and put up here.

To be honest, i'm starting to think its perhaps the cut, i've been going to the same place for far too long.

The place before this one always used to mess it up, then last time i ventured somewhere new they completely ignored what i requested and gave me well, almost a jarhead cut.

So i stick with with this fella who always does it "ok" i'm never really happy with it, but it never looks a complete mess, so i just play it safe...

A couple of new places have opened up in the past few months and are proving to be popular, might have to take a chance and check one out! :chin:
    Tony & Guy XWax Stick.

The best out there.
    my ex use to use this wax/gel called get glued that was dead good and held well no matter what the length was
    Would somebody be so kind as to tell me what all the following actually are/do

Putty
    Wax
    Gum
    Clay
    Paste
    etc...

To be honest, the only real consistency with the textures/effects of these are wax and clay. The rest seem to differ on texture, effect, look, hold etc. depending on the brand. ie, one brand's gum may be almost identical to another's putty, but their putty be completely different.
    Bedhead: Manipulator
    Fudge: Fat head / Hair Shaper
    Fish: Stoned styling clay

I've tried all three, but the Bedhead one is my fav. Really can't fault any Tigi product.
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Tony & Guy XWax Stick.

The best out there.

It's really not. It has the best hold of any wax I've ever used, but it makes your hair look seriously greasy. It's also a cunt to wash out.
    Whats with all the gel related teen comments? lol - nothing wrong with a good holding gel you daft poncy cunts :D

I been using wax lately or that surf gunk stuff, both OK but wax looked greasey and surf stuff just too white when it dried.

I got this bird at the hairdressers getting me this stuff she referred to as 'like a jam' - should give me slighty wet look with the hold of a wax

Fuck knows though, if it dont work im just gonna shave me head again
    Whats with all the gel related teen comments? lol - nothing wrong with a good holding gel you daft poncy cunts :D

Gel's don't hold, that's the problem :razz: At least not for any decent length of hair. It works fine for short hair, but is too hard, too wet looking, and clumps the hair together too much so you end up looking like you still have comb lines in it.

Gel is baaad.

Aye, that matt clay stuff is amazing.

It's looks and feels as if there's nothing in your hair at all, which is good good good. I've got quite short hair mind.