Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Unused foreign currency coins

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Where can I give my foreign coins too? I seem to remember some charities collect them, but a search online hasn't found anywhere that are currently doing it.

I've just come back from Bulgaria. I've only got about £5 in change, but it might as well go somewhere useful than sit at the bottom of a drawer.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Barclays used to have a collection box for foreign coins for charity, maybe other banks do.
    You could always take it to the post office and get it all changed into pound sterling...commision free too.
    Hold that thought.. I've just had an idea!

I work in a HR Dept and we're always doing charity things. I'm going to put two jars - one in our department block and one in the Gatehouse where the factory guys are most likely to call in - and collect in everyone's loose change until mid-September then take it all to a charity. Saves everyone else doing it and could raise a fair bit. Have found two big jars in the shed too.

Still need a suggestion for a charity to give it to...
    foxysoxy wrote: »
    You could always take it to the post office and get it all changed into pound sterling...commision free too.

I asked the same question on here a few years ago and got told that they won't do that.
    I think the post office (and any other bureau de change) only cash notes... not change...

Oh and there are normally charity collection boxes at the airports for foreign currency - not a lot of use to you now though :)
    Good plan!
    We do that in our department because it generally involves lots of overseas travel and hence lots of random monies.
    Don't know who it goes too, but some nasty person stole it all a while back. What is the point, really?!