Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cat questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got some really good advice from people here about cat type things, hope someone can help with these too.

My cat keeps trying to go on my bed. I don't want her there due to hair shedding/general hygiene. There are plenty of other comfy places for her to sleep but she insists on going on there. How can I deter her? Pushing her off makes no difference, she just jumps right back up.

She howls at 4am and wakes me up, whining really loudly. Very annoying. Is she actually hungry or just attention seeking?

Any ideas?

:)

Comments

• Options
    I gave up trying to stop our two going on the bed, so bought a cheap throw to go over it.

The 4 a.m. thing. Ours are the same, i think it's just attention. We used to shut the bedroom door, but they make so much noise and try and pull the carpet up by the door we just leave it open now.
  • Options
    We don't allow ours into our bedroom unless supervised, so it's not really an issue but i would just buy a cheap throw for the bed if it were. When they come back to my mum's then they'll be allowed in all the rooms, to be honest it doesn't really bother me.

The 4am thing bugs me as well (another reason we don't allow them in the room!). Either leave your door open for her to come and go, or shut her elsewhere - the kitchen for example. Unfortunately, if you don't have a huge amount of space then there's not that much you can do about it.
  • Options
    A water spray (like you'd use to water plants) its harmless (dont get a really powerful one) but they dont like it. Its not perfect but with time mine have learnt not to do certain things.
  • Options
    can u not just shut your bedroom door?
  • Options
    I don't have any doors in the flat (apart from bathroom), it's all open plan so unfortunately she has free run of the place.

Water spray, that's a good idea. I'm sure she would hate that! I did have one of those pump spray bottles but had it taken off me at the airport.
  • Options
    Yeah, problem with it is that every time you see her get on the bed you need to do it - which is fine, but if you're out at work all day it doesn't really reinforce it. Worth a shot though :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    budda wrote: »
    A water spray (like you'd use to water plants) its harmless (dont get a really powerful one) but they dont like it. Its not perfect but with time mine have learnt not to do certain things.

Yeah, we have done this in the past. When she does something naughty then give a little spray with water. She will soon associate the naughtyness with the water and then, over time, will stop doing it.
  • Options
    Try just saying no to her and putting her back on the floor when she jumps onto the bed.

It's best not to just randomly use the water spray without any indication of what she is doing wrong.
  • Options
    Just let her up. If you let it sit on you and have it about the house, there's no real 'hygiene' or hair concern you wouldn't have otherwise...