Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hmmm...

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
Today I have spent the day trying to get some form of income one way or another.

This morning I spent the day looking for jobs and through this speaking to people at legal recruitment agencies. All I can say is, 'well screw you too!' They were miserable, rude and one was actually a bit mean.
It is hard getting some work experience to be as experienced as is their 'requirement' so I have temporarily given up (just for the day)

So, I decided to pop to the job centre and see about signing on. The woman in there was adorable, so helpful and kind, and I have just been on the phone to another woman who is dealing with my claim and she is the same. So nice, and polite.

So please explain to me, when I make the effort to get a job I am greeted with rudeness and ill-mannered folk, but when I try to get money off the government for sitting on my bum watching This Morning, I am treated like a princess?

This is a part rant, and part commendation for the Job Centre.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aww hun. Don't take the legal job hunting to heart. You know how hard it is to get something even if it is just experience. There is so much competition nowadays.

My friend's sister applied to 200 places before she actually got a legal training contract. 200 places! She got there in the end though. Chin up :)
  • Options
    I feel your job hunting pain :(.

I have to go to Chelmsford tomorrow because Braintree is useless. I hatehatehate job hunting :(.
  • Options
    i feel your pain too :( i'm looking for some kinda work for over the summer, and i have sent my applications in to a bunch of places a while ago, but have heard nothing *sigh*
  • Options
    Job hunting is hard and its diffcult not to take things personally, when you recieve knock backs. From my job hunting I would say dont even bother with agencies (they are a fucking joke) but apply for jobs direct, even if you see something in the agency window, write direct to the company.

I have never had any dealings with the Job Centre but Im glad you found them nice. Just remember there are nice people everywhere, dont waste a moment on people who arent.

Good luck with the job hunting my fluffy eared friend :D . I hope you get a job or some money soon.

:thumb:
  • Options
    My mum keeps going on at me to go and try in an agency "because you're really good at typing and that kind of thing" but I really don't want to because I want a job I can come back to at Christmas (although Kermit was trying to convince me to get a job in Newcastle because it's only 3 hours on the train to London to see boyfriend). Plus I'm really scared of going in there and saying "I want to register with you plzkthx". Because I suck.

Blahhhhhh.

Help me :(.
  • Options
    In my experience, it might be different there, if you put a resume up online at monster or something similar, there are alot of agency's on those places and they will contact you first. So you don't have to do any of the hard stuff. That might be easier :)
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    In my experience, it might be different there, if you put a resume up online at monster or something similar, there are alot of agency's on those places and they will contact you first. So you don't have to do any of the hard stuff. That might be easier :)

:yes: Yeah Monster is big on that. Its a good idea, cos then they do the chasing.
  • Options
    If you're using legal recruitment websites then, to be honest, you're looking in the wrong place. You get very little without experience, and if you don't have experience you'll just get grumped at by the overpaid and underwork tarts who run those places.

That said, Network Rail are looking for new grads to work in their commercial property department, working in Manc, starting salary £20k.

If you and 'im moved up here (like everyone should!) I could get you a job at my place:p
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    So please explain to me, when I make the effort to get a job I am greeted with rudeness and ill-mannered folk, but when I try to get money off the government for sitting on my bum watching This Morning, I am treated like a princess?

I believe the idea is that when you sign on you are making an effort to find a job... They're just more professional.

They could probably see you were serious about finding something and reacted towards you nicely because of that. It's good that they were nice cos it's absolutly shit job hunting and very stressful.

I'm sure you'll get something soon though. :)
    From my job hunting I would say dont even bother with agencies (they are a fucking joke) but apply for jobs direct, even if you see something in the agency window, write direct to the company.

:lol: I'm sure you said the exact oposite to me a few months ago... make your mind up :p
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    :lol: I'm sure you said the exact oposite to me a few months ago... make your mind up :p

:no: I very much doubt it. I really dont like agencies. DIY it is the way to go. :thumb:
  • Options
    ahh, i too feel your pain! it's so disheartening when every fucker wants experience! i've just finished my degree and it's not easy trying to find a job when you don't know what you want to do, believe me! okay so i have my job at tesco but i need more regular hours. decided to try and get a full-time office/shop job while i decide what i want to do. filling out applications is soooo tedious..!
  • Options
    ahh, i too feel your pain! it's so disheartening when every fucker wants experience! i've just finished my degree and it's not easy trying to find a job when you don't know what you want to do, believe me! okay so i have my job at tesco but i need more regular hours. decided to try and get a full-time office/shop job while i decide what i want to do. filling out applications is soooo tedious..!

We are in the same boat! Only I dont work for Tesco :D
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    We are in the same boat! Only I dont work for Tesco :D

haha yeh you need that :D face at the end!

:crying: :impissed:
  • Options
    ...They were miserable, rude and one was actually a bit mean...
    That makes me a perfect candidate for that agency.
  • Options
    I am so pleased it is not just me that is in this situation! Job hunting is bollocks...it is official!
    my_name wrote: »
    In my experience, it might be different there, if you put a resume up online at monster or something similar

Already done it, but na da so far. I applied for a job through there this afternoon, so fingers crossed!
    Kermit wrote:
    f you and 'im moved up here (like everyone should!) I could get you a job at my place

Oooh sounds good, it isnt too much of a relocation for 'im indoors, and I am moving anyways! It is a possibility, The frog and the rabbit working side by side ;)
    Stargalaxy wrote:
    That makes me a perfect candidate for that agency.

No-one could be a perfect candidate for this place, they are morphed into little bitches from a young age specifically for this job!
  • Options
    No-one could be a perfect candidate for this place, they are morphed into little bitches from a young age specifically for this job!
    Excellent. Where do I apply?
  • Options
    Are you just looking for legal stuff at the moment?

Two somewhat different lines of attack to consider would be seeing if anyone will give you work experience (of the unpaid kind), even if they won't give you a job, and then from that you'll have a bit of experience when you apply for other things. Don't forget that big companies have legal departments too, as well as the obvious law firm type place.

Another one would be to widen your search to any kind of job that would give you some general experience and a reasonable reference.
  • Options
    Are you just looking for legal stuff at the moment?

Two somewhat different lines of attack to consider would be seeing if anyone will give you work experience (of the unpaid kind), even if they won't give you a job, and then from that you'll have a bit of experience when you apply for other things. Don't forget that big companies have legal departments too, as well as the obvious law firm type place.

Another one would be to widen your search to any kind of job that would give you some general experience and a reasonable reference.

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but I have some bloody good references and have had some good non legal jobs in the past, and I have non paid legal experience, and that means nothing according to that snooty woman on the phone.

As soon as I move to Burnley I will go to an ordinary employment agency and get anything but I just wish someone would offer me a training contract!! :mad:
  • Options
    Fair enough. Didn't realise you were that well set up.

Then from what I gather from friends in similar positions it just a case of shurgging off all the snottyness, arrogance and rejections and just keeping trying and trying and trying. A couple of the people I know got their training contracts as a result of doing unpaid work experience with firms, don't know if you've come across that or considered it.
  • Options
    Fair enough. Didn't realise you were that well set up.

Then from what I gather from friends in similar positions it just a case of shurgging off all the snottyness, arrogance and rejections and just keeping trying and trying and trying. A couple of the people I know got their training contracts as a result of doing unpaid work experience with firms, don't know if you've come across that or considered it.

yeah I was offered a sort of training contract from a firm I worked with, it was all a bit odd, and was told I would be their family law dept, as they dont do it, dont know how they would train me! :confused: But now all has gone a bit odd because I am moving, so I might try get some more in Burnley.

Cheers hun!
  • Options
    I've been really lucky really with this job I've currently got.

I didn't do any job hunting. I just walked into a random agency in Manchester. Only ONE. I spent about 90 minutes in there and walked out with a office job with Lloyds TSB. A cushy job at that.

I work Mon-Fri and as long as I do 7 hours a day, I can arrange my own hours and decide when and how long I want my break for. I can also listen to my ipod all day (although I rarely do as well, how unsociable is that?), eat and drink at my desk all day, read my book/bbc website (tis only one available!) when its quiet, take coffee breaks whenever I want, leave work without telling anyone and generally, its a piece of piss :D Pay aint too bad either. Also, theres lots of overtime available which means I get double pay :D

I don't plan on staying there too long though. Tis just a job until I can get a 'proper job'.

Generally in the past though, I've been really unlucky with agencies.
  • Options
    I've been really lucky really with this job I've currently got.

I didn't do any job hunting. I just walked into a random agency in Manchester. Only ONE. I spent about 90 minutes in there and walked out with a office job with Lloyds TSB. A cushy job at that.

I work Mon-Fri and as long as I do 7 hours a day, I can arrange my own hours and decide when and how long I want my break for. I can also listen to my ipod all day (although I rarely do as well, how unsociable is that?), eat and drink at my desk all day, read my book/bbc website (tis only one available!) when its quiet, take coffee breaks whenever I want, leave work without telling anyone and generally, its a piece of piss :D Pay aint too bad either. Also, theres lots of overtime available which means I get double pay :D

I don't plan on staying there too long though. Tis just a job until I can get a 'proper job'.

Generally in the past though, I've been really unlucky with agencies.

I am going off you...:grump:
  • Options
    Haha! I've just been lucky.

I got sent home a hour early today but still got paid till the end :D
  • Options
    Don't a lot of big companies have management trainee schemes, where after so many years you can choose which dept you want to be in, such as accountancy, law, hr, etc? It's just a thought.
  • Options
    I thought that usually you went in on a particular scheme - like, the one i'm on at the moment is a specific accounting one, and there's also a management one which is for general management and you get put somewhere else that doesn't particularly require any specific qualifications. I think law's a funny one because there's so much financial investment required by the company that they tend to take on already qualifieds because it's that much cheaper.
  • Options
    Calvin, I'm sure I've mentioned these before, but in Newcastle the best agency by far and away is Solutions Recruitment. They are really really good, and they still remember me and ask after the missus and the cat (my friend temps with them now) even though I haven't temped with them for about 18 months.

Bunnie, the Toon's a bit far I know, but my place are recruiting again. It's a really good job that I do too, I'm a debt and welfare benefits advisor for a charity.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Calvin, I'm sure I've mentioned these before, but in Newcastle the best agency by far and away is Solutions Recruitment. They are really really good, and they still remember me and ask after the missus and the cat (my friend temps with them now) even though I haven't temped with them for about 18 months.

Cheers, I already have a job now though. Its not in Newcastle but it will do for now. I dont think I found Solutions Recruitment but will sure have a look. When I was talking about recuritment agencies being poor, I was meaning ones in London I have been working with. Im just not really a fan.

Thanks

:thumb:
  • Options
    In the 3 or 4 years I've been working, I've been treated like scum by agencies on a number of occasions, and I know others that have too, although, a couple of times, they have actually found me some suitable stuff, so I can't completely complain. At the end of the day, recruitment agencies are business's, their number one priority is to make money like other business's - everything else is secondary, and although that's no excuse for their rudeness, poor management and constant fucking around of candidates, that's just the way it is I'm afraid. However, do persevere - I know the bull shit from a lot of them is hard to take, but there are a few good ones around and eventually one of them might actually find something.

I'm currently looking for a new job. It's hard work even finding a suitable job advertised, let alone getting to the stage of applying for one. The last time I did this was around 2 years ago, and it might just be my imagination, but I reckon things are currently a lot thinner on the ground than they were back then. I've been ignored by all agencies I've contacted just lately - I'm guessing it's because there is sod all work around. You just have to keep trying I'm afraid. It's a right grind, but it's the only way.

On another note, does anyone have any experience with monster? Any good?