Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting out of a gym contract

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I joined a gym in February this year and I am stuck in a 12 month contract and I want to get out as I want to move gym. Is there anyway of getting out of it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope, not unless you can prove you have no money, or you're long term sick. Whole point of a contract means it's legally binding for 12 months. That's why i goto a council gym and pay month to month.
    Do you pay by standing order or direct debit, or did you pay up front?

You could try cancelling the payment and see what happens.

Another approach would be to say that it doesn't meet the standards you expected (and if it's like any gym club that I've ever used or worked in) and you'd like to cancel your membership, tell them you are aware it was a 12 month contract but that was based on xyz which you have found not to be the case.

Suggestions for xyz would be quality, avaliablity and knowledge base of staff, avaliablity of equipment, provision for classes, hygiene, cleanliness....

It's worth trying that approach.
    ~kaz~ wrote: »
    I joined a gym in February this year and I am stuck in a 12 month contract and I want to get out as I want to move gym. Is there anyway of getting out of it?

myn made me pay upfront. didn't have a contract as such. depends on how you pay i guess as to how easy it would be to terminate the contract.
    why do you want to move? and how much of your time in your contract have you used so far?
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    If you pay by Direct Debit try canceling the payment, I know most gyms don't bother because they can't be arsed with the fuss but I may be wrong
    Just tell them your moving to the other end of the country for work or uni. Thats what I did and they were fine.

:thumb:
    smitherz wrote: »
    If you pay by Direct Debit try canceling the payment, I know most gyms don't bother because they can't be arsed with the fuss but I may be wrong

Cannon's will end up putting a CCJ against you if payment is defaulted...
    Calvin wrote: »
    Just tell them your moving to the other end of the country for work or uni. Thats what I did and they were fine.

:thumb:

:yes: I've gotten out of a couple phone contracts that way, back in the day where there were local ones as well.

Or just call and ask about the specifics of canceling a contract. Payments, reasons etc. You don't have to tell them who you are. I think Scary has a good idea too, say its not up to your standards.

I hate gym contracts. When I went searching, Bally's told me the only way you can cancel is with a doctors order. And they set you up for 2 years at a time. That place was a complete joke. [rantover]
    I pay by direct debit. Its a small company who run the gym and they have a company who handle their direct debits. I was told to phone the company to cancel and I said I was moving back to Scotland (when im not) and they said they want 2 proofs of my address and a £30.00 cancelation fee.

I want to move gym because I have moved to the other end of town and its not convienet to go to that gym anymore as I don't drive.
    ~kaz~ wrote: »
    I pay by direct debit. Its a small company who run the gym and they have a company who handle their direct debits. I was told to phone the company to cancel and I said I was moving back to Scotland (when im not) and they said they want 2 proofs of my address and a £30.00 cancelation fee.

I want to move gym because I have moved to the other end of town and its not convienet to go to that gym anymore as I don't drive.

Clearly you couldn't provide such a thing anyway as you've not moved yet ;)
    When I cancelled my old gym contract to go to Liverpool for uni they were having none of it and I had to pay £50 to cancel it, even though it was due to run out like 2 months after that :rolleyes:
    Is there no way just to cancel it and pay a cancelation fee?
    It depends on the terms of the contract which you signed. Without seeing a copy of the agreement we can't really tell you more than that.

Their policy will be in the contract, probably under the heading "cancellation". If the contract says you're liable then you're liable, and if you default payment its highly likely you'll receive a Claim Pack through the door from the County Court.
    Kermit wrote: »
    It depends on the terms of the contract which you signed. Without seeing a copy of the agreement we can't really tell you more than that.

Their policy will be in the contract, probably under the heading "cancellation". If the contract says you're liable then you're liable, and if you default payment its highly likely you'll receive a Claim Pack through the door from the County Court.

Agreed.

Cannons will not accept a payment, only a full term of contract serving. My pal is moving to the South of France next weekend, has 6 months to go, and he has to pay the full whack...