Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bank charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whats the whole deal with these? i managed to go £125 over drawn last month and now ive just received a letter saying i've been charged £75 on top of that (even though ive already credited my account with the £125)
Can they actually do this or is this one of those claim it back things?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it was me my first step would be to phone them up, tell them you feel the charge is disproportionate for their costs and that you wish them to charge a fee which is more in line with their real costs - suggest £8.

If that doesnt work write to them detailing the act in law which forbids this sort of thing (Kermit is sure to have given details at some point).
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com - there's a guide to claiming your charges back.

Alternatively, do what we did - i sent my boyfriend into the bank wearing a suit and looking all pissed off and they refunded them on the spot :D Sometimes they decide that the hassle's not worth it...
    If its your "first offence" and you're nice the bank may offer you a goodwill gesture, especially if you don't owe them money and threaten to close your bank account straightaway if they don't. If you do it fairly often its less likely the staff will agree, so you'll need to challenge them using moneysavingexpert.com's excellent advice.
    Change banks. If your still a student, then move to HSBC, they have been great with me, Im constantly overdrawn. Im about £2k overdrawn which is £100 over my overdraft and they aint charged me a penny.

If I want to increase in temporarly, I just call them and ask, its never been an issue.
    I would say the best way to reclaim bank charges is to go through the process on moneysavingexpert. Print off the letter, send it to your local customer service center or branch, wait for a reply, then when they offer you x amount, either accept that or say no.
    HSBC? They're great to students, but most student accounts have a freeze on overdraft charges anyway because the banks don't want to fuck them off until they're earning.

HSBC, in my experience, have to be the second-worst bank in the country. The worst are Lloyds TSB.
    natwest aint bad, but its more of a case of 'you dont hassle us' we dont hassle you situation