Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Home Nations Football Championships to be revived.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6230142.stm

....without England ;)

I like this idea. Surely it will be more entertainment than meaningless friendly games. :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Might be an idea, I'd fancy us to be in with a shout of winning the thing at the minute given current form, whether England are in it or not.

I'd actually still fancy us to do England at the moment. We've got results against the two World Cup finalists in the last 18 months or so, so there's nothing to fear from the Nigels.

If there's a team to be worried about then I'd say Northern Ireland!
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Might be an idea, I'd fancy us to be in with a shout of winning the thing at the minute given current form, whether England are in it or not.

I'd actually still fancy us to do England at the moment. We've got results against the two World Cup finalists in the last 18 months or so, so there's nothing to fear from the Nigels.

If there's a team to be worried about then I'd say Northern Ireland!

We're the lowest ranked team out of the home nations, so no pressure on us. :p
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    We're the lowest ranked team out of the home nations, so no pressure on us. :p

Are you not the only one of us not to have beaten the English the last time you played them? Pretty embarrasing if you ask me :p
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Are you not the only one of us not to have beaten the English the last time you played them? Pretty embarrasing if you ask me :p

Yeah :( Lost 1-0. We would have won if John Hartson could have used his big fat head a bit better. Mind you we have no big target men nowadays. All of our strikers are the short pacey ones. So why Toshack plays long balls i dont know. :grump:
  • Options
    Yeah :( Lost 1-0. We would have won if John Hartson could have used his big fat head a bit better. Mind you we have no big target men nowadays. All of our strikers are the short pacey ones. So why Toshack plays long balls i dont know. :grump:

It's a well known fact that the Welsh are only there to make people with ginger hair feel better ;)
  • Options
    Without England? If you don't get to bang on about beating England for a year, what's the point? Isn't that the entire focus of your teams sporting lives? :p
  • Options
    Without England? If you don't get to bang on about beating England for a year, what's the point? Isn't that the entire focus of your teams sporting lives? :p

Nah, every other home international team has beaten better and more successful teams in recent years than the Nigels. Bigger fish to fry and all that :p

Back on topic - the more I think about it, the more I don't see the point.

Fair enough the Irish derby might get a bit tasty, but Scotland v Wales? No massive hatred going on there. I also quite like playing different teams in friendlies that we never usually play - imagine 3 of the home nations got drawn in the same Euro qualifying group. How boring would that get, can't really imagine Hampden being packed for any of the games. Plus we've gone down the road of having squad get togethers rather than playing friendlies, which has coincided with us doing really rather well.

No thanks.
  • Options
    So why Toshack plays long balls i dont know. :grump:

It's because Toshack is a clueless idiot, and always has been. Savage hits the nail right on the head about him.