Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Edinburgh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Okkk....soooo.....I'm going to Edinburgh to live at the end of August, and I'm reeeally excited!! :)

While I've been in London, I feel I haven't really made the most of where I'm living and all that goes on at all....and I plan for that to change when I move to Edinburgh!!

I've been a couple of times, but just thought I'd see if anyone knows much about the area around Edinburgh, things that are worth seeing/doing just outside, orr different things to do in the city.....any tips, basically?? :wave:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Edinbrugh Zoo. I went years ago, so it might not even be there anymore. Go to the Scottish Parliament (Holyrood), it looks horrible from outside, but its really nice inside. Worth a look.

Other than that take loads of warm clothes, and kiss goodbye to getting a natural tan :D
    Calvin wrote: »
    Edinbrugh Zoo. I went years ago, so it might not even be there anymore.
    It is, dont go on a hot day though, or when you're pregnant since it's all uphill!
    Glittery wrote: »
    It is, dont go on a hot day though, or when you're pregnant since it's all uphill!

Or up the castle (where the cannons fire out). Its a killer getting up those steps.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Edinburgh ... I love it :D

You have lots of fun things, depending on what you are interested in. If you want historical things, then there is the Castle, Holyrood, Scott Monument, Royal Mile, Princes St, Grassmarket, Roslin cathedral ... they are all really nice places to visit. If you want scenery, then go up Arthurs Seat or just go up the crags a bit.

If you want a bit of tourism, then you have Royal Yacht Britannia down Leith, the Zoo, Butterfly World isn't far away and all the normal stuff.

However, the time you are going, Edinburgh is buzzing. You have the Fringe on, which is always a fun, exciting time to be in Edinburgh.

I'm quite jealous :p

It is also a fantastic place to live. I loved living there. You have all your studenty areas, the Meadows, Marchmont, Newington and things, as well as your more posh areas, like Stockbridge and Dean Village. It is very eclectic.
    as well as your more posh areas, like Stockbridge and Dean Village.

I don't think posh areas are applicable to this scrubber!

Better make sure you take a week long diversion around the midlands on your way up!

I'll be sure to give you one last taste of civilisation before you cross that boarder! :thumb: :p
    I was in Edinburgh for the first time weeks ago, and I loved the place. I could stay there a long while without getting board I reckon. It's sad to say being English, but it knocks spots off London, a place I hate. As for Edinburgh, obviously there's the usual enough shopping, pubs, etc etc to keep you going for ever, but I loved the history of the place to. So much to see. Has a great atmosphere to - I'd love to be there when the festival is on, or around Christmas / new years time. I found the scots to be such welcoming and warm people to. Again, the accept opposite to Londoners...
    I was in Edinburgh for the first time weeks ago, and I loved the place. I could stay there a long while without getting board I reckon. It's sad to say being English, but it knocks spots off London, a place I hate. As for Edinburgh, obviously there's the usual enough shopping, pubs, etc etc to keep you going for ever, but I loved the history of the place to. So much to see. Has a great atmosphere to - I'd love to be there when the festival is on, or around Christmas / new years time. I found the scots to be such welcoming and warm people to. Again, the accept opposite to Londoners...

Oh yay!! Well that's what I'm hoping...to spend a long time there, and STILL enjoy it and also find things to do!!

And I'm really excited about being there for Christmas\New Year for the first time.....I've looked it up, and apparently they have a German Christmas market, a big wheel, an ice skating rink, and loads of other things there leading up to Christmas!! Yay!! :)

Also....that's mostly why I'm moving up there, because I'm sick to death of everyone in general being so unfriendly down here!! The Scots (again, massive generalisation here!) are the best, most friendly, people I've ever met....and I can't wait to spend more time around them!! :thumb:

And after reading Little Missy's post, too, I'm pretty sure I'm making the right decision....:)
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    I don't think posh areas are applicable to this scrubber!

Better make sure you take a week long diversion around the midlands on your way up!

I'll be sure to give you one last taste of civilisation before you cross that boarder! :thumb: :p

:o I can be posh!!! Goodness......what a rude young man you are......(seeee? That sounded posh!!):angel:

Also......Midlands?? Civilised??? Pah!!! Think you'll find things get a LOT more civilised North of the border.....:p Buuttt...if I find myself fancying a tour of the local pork pie factories and criminal haunts, you'll be the first person I'll call.....:thumb: :p
    I went there when I was 17, it was great.
    You're making a great decision - Edinburgh is fantastic, I love it! Probably the best city in the United Kingdom. I've been here 4 years now, and I really will struggle to ever leave.

Little Missy summed up alot of the historical things you can see, but really, just go for a walk round the city. It's absolutely beautiful and the old town is full of windy wee backstreets with hidden gems of bars. I've been here 4 years and there's still so much for me to see and do. In addition to what Little Missy mentioned I would recommend going to the galleries and the national museum.

Going up Arthur's Seat is an absolute must. The views are stunning, and it's almost like a rite of passage for Edinburgers. Just don't do it for the first time at 3am on a December night, pissed outta your head, like I did. :o

My favourite thing to do in Edinburgh is to go down to The Meadows in the summer and just lie around with friends drinking. On a sunny day the place is absolutely buzzing and there's such a feel-good feeling about the place.

In terms of going out, it depends what you're into, but the nightlife is varied enough to cater for everyone. There's nice little traditional pubs, trendy bars, live music clubs, dance nightclubs. Whatever you're into I'm sure you'll find your thing. My personal favourite is a little club called Cabaret Voltaire, built in old vaults 400 years old, still with the original stonework etc. You don't get character like that in many other cities.

And yea, Christmas is pretty special in Edinburgh. They put little fairy lights in all the trees in Princes Street gardens, and as you've said, they have the German Market, ferris wheel and ice rink. Some of the food you can get in the German market is top notch. Edinburgh is fucking freeeezing in winter though!

As for friendly people, well I've always found Scottish people very friendly and welcoming, but then I put that down to being Irish :razz: . But yea, anything beats London eh?
    Ooo....yay....thanks Addict!! You've made me feel reeeally excited about it now! :hyper:

I've heard of Cabaret Voltaire on my google journeys too...think I can definitely see myself spending time there!!

I'm trying to prepare myself for the unbelievable cold...think it'll be a fair shock to the system!!! But think it's one of these things I'll just have to get through, the first time, and then I'll know what I'm in for in the future!! :nervous:

Maybe you being Irish DOES help a bit, but, as a girl who sounds posh and English, (to my annoyance!), I can honestly say the Scots are just THAT friendly!! I've never had any trouble....I even went to Glasgow, fully expecting someone to at least spit on me for sounding the way I do (;) ), but no....friendly there too!!

That's what decided me.....I can't not be around people that great!! :thumb: