Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Henry to Barca then (his own words supposedly)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'd like to say I'm suprised but I'm not.

He's certainly gone down in my books, especially having sat half a season on the benches while earning top-dollar. It was inevitable I suppose.

What next for Arsenal? We're seemingly imploding thanks to our idiotic and short-sighted (and it's not often I say that about them) board.

I don't think we'll struggle as much as Spurs fans will hope, maybe we'll improve like United did once Horseface left but I don't think it'll be that dramatic as Henry created as many goals as he scored.

This summer is bad, but it'll be even worse when Wenger and Cesc go next summer. :banghead:

I'd like Huntelaar please.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't care what anybody says, when he was on his game then he was an absolute joy to watch (think of the hat-trick against Liverpool, the screamers he's scored against Man United and some amazing solo goals and performances against some of the best teams in Europe)

Premiership will be a lot more worse off without him, not just for his goals but for his creative play and influence on the younger players. Certainly will be missed more and be harder to replace than Horseface was, just because there's more to his all round game than diving and goal-poaching ;)

Saying all that, he's peaked already and injuries are starting to hamper him now. Arsenal have a canny knack of getting rid of their best players when they start to go downhill (Petit, Overmars, Vieria) and losing Henry will mean Arsenal need to change their game a bit, and might even mean they get a couple of strikers in who can stick the ball in the back of the bloody net. Henry or no Henry, if they did that last season then they'd have been right on the arses of the top two at least.

A nice brutal centre-half in the Adams/Campbell mode would be good too.
    It's more or less official now subject to formalities.

Bonne Chance Titi :wave: :thumb:
    Yeah i think it was only a matter of time really before he left. Really gutted that he's gone and i really hope it doesnt signal a whole host of people leaving the club. BUT .. the teams young and it has great potential. Maybe this can signal a new start or something along those lines. We need to find another world class striker to take his place as we can no longer rely on him to bang in the goals. Hope now Arsene will bring in some big names, otherwise its just gonna be another season like last year.
    This isn't the disaster the gutter press and rival fans would like it to be, if it were 2004 of course it would, but the team gave a reasonable account of themselves last season without Henry (and others) for most of it.

The trouble is I'm not convinced that perpetual "potential" is what's best at the moment. We've been told this time after time. I don't expect trophys every season, but I do expect us to challenge for them. I don't mind finishing fourth, but if Platini takes the Champions League place away, what then?

Can we really catch up with Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool?

Quite a few teams "below" us are strengthening, what about their threat?

This summer we need 1 or 2 experienced 22-27 year olds brought in. I just don't think Arsene's up to it.
    Braineater wrote: »
    This summer we need 1 or 2 experienced 22-27 year olds brought in. I just don't think Arsene's up to it.

I'd disagree on that and say I'm guessing his hand has been forced into blooding young players by the board. Some of his spots have been brilliant - Petit, Vieria, Toure, Cesc, changing round Henry's career etc - but I've always had the feeling that lately he's been building Arsenal's team for the future after he leaves, and this suits the board.

They've done very well for the age of the team, best footballing team in the league IMO. But letting Campbell go has cost them, and I think Baptista would've been a more effective player if they'd kept him after Henry left because of the way the team will have to change.

I don't think Arsenal fans would think twice about substituting a little bit of the flair and sexy football for a bit more direct play that would certainly result in more success IMO.
    I'm actually gutted that Henry is defecting to Spain. It's not nice to see such great players leaving the premiership.

I'll be interested to see what Arsenal do now. I've got a feeling that they'll use Reyes as part-exchange with Atletico Madrid for Fernando Torres.
    Addict wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see what Arsenal do now. I've got a feeling that they'll use Reyes as part-exchange with Atletico Madrid for Fernando Torres.

Nah, I'd be amazed if we got someone of the ilk of Torres. I've heard strong rumours Liverpool are close to tying him up. I'd put money on Babel (as a winger-cum-striker) or Anelka coming myself.

I'd be over the moon if we could get Huntelaar though.
    Bizarre as it sounds, I think the Arse might actually get better without Henry there, and certainly last year showed that they were a much better team with Henry in the treatment room. He's going to be 30 this time, and whilst that isn't over the hill, you do wonder whether he'll be half the player when he starts to lose a bit of pace.

£16m is a bit of a bargain for Barca, but how good a deal it is for Arsenal will depend on who they can get in. They do have the talent to keep going, though (Walcott isn't exactly crap and is a Henry-style player) and I think the expectation of implosion is a bit over-optimistic.

I don't really blame the board, they made a decision for the good of Arsenal FC, and if Henry's loyalties lie with Dein rather than them all, then its unfortunate. I don't think having Arsenal in the hands of yet another US hedge fund is going to be good for the future of the club; not when the bottom falls out of the Premiershit and they all chuck it in.
    I agree with Kermit that it might not be such a bad thing. Henry is world class but he's not getting any younger. There is probably one more excellent season in him, but then again there might not. Last season you didn't exactly get many world class performances or match winning antics from him...

Arsenal has a good young squad and no shortage of goal scorers. I don't think you will actually miss him.
    Braineater wrote: »
    I'd like to say I'm suprised but I'm not.

What next for Arsenal? We're seemingly imploding thanks to our idiotic and short-sighted (and it's not often I say that about them) board.

I don't see how building a massive new stadium in north-central-London is short sighted?