Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Have indie kids killed indie...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i know this is probably best suited to the entertainment forum, but oh well more people read this.

there is a bar in town that has a self proclaimed "indie rock night" but its bollocks.

tonight it was full of "indie kids" rocking out to the fratellis (no bad slur on them, i think they are ace) but when some old school indie tunes came on they were not interested whatsoever. this included such classics as Stone Roses - Waterfall, The Cure - Love Cats, Blondie - call me, Buzzcocks - Never fallen in love, even some classic Oasis, when these songs came on it was like someone had just shat in their cereal, they didnt know what was going on....

it down right pissed me off, as soon as Mr Brightsky came on, they were jumping around like loons, then Joy division - love can tear us apart came on and they headed for the door, the bar slowly drained and everyone left.

basically my point it, have indie/emo kids ruined indie rock and roll for the rest of us, i strongly think they have.

i know music goes in phases, but even a casual music fan can appriciate music from the past.

so anyway, fuck indie kids. ruin it for the rest of us.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Forgive me for pointing it out, but indie music was always crap. :p
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Forgive me for pointing it out, but indie music was always crap. :p

and so were you :D
    koe_182 wrote: »
    and so were you :D
    Prat. :p
    Been saying this for years. The shit they call indie now isn't even indie. The whole idea was that it was short for 'independant'. As in, independant from a major record label. Kind of a contradiction when bands like Razorlight are on Mercury.

So yes, fuck indie kids. Your music, your fashion, and your lifestyle is shite.
    I'm not an indie fan, but I can appreciate the Britpop thing in the 90's was absolutely massive and some of the stuff you mentioned like the Stone Roses and early Oasis was some of the most influential music of the last few decades.

Today though, I really do think that the generic bands like Clap Your Hands Together, Kooks and the CCJ's or whoever else are basically styled the same (scruffy, long hair, skinny jeans and the generic NME "fuck everything" attitude), and as gimmicked as the whole pop music thing of five years ago in that the image of the band is what a lot of these people buy into, and the music comes secondary.

Not saying the bands are without their merits, but it still comes back to people thinking a band is amazing because the lead singer is good looking or whatever, and that's just people buying into a scene and gimmick rather than the music itself - and I can see how it pisses off proper, long-term, indie/rock fans because these wannabes were obsessing over r'n'b and the like when that was in a couple of years back.

Think I'll download some classic Oasis now actually :thumb:
    Agree wholeheartedly. Stupid fucks probably think The Kooks started the movement.

The Smiths are thee quintessential indie band btw. :cool:
    Britpop killed indie.
    Britpop threw it infront of a car and put it in a coma for a while, but it recovered. The shit we have now killed it.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Britpop threw it infront of a car and put it in a coma for a while, but it recovered. The shit we have now killed it.

I almost posted something about stupid hair and tight-shitty jeans killing it... Then I remembered how much old skool rock/metal I like, which isn't dead in my mind.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Difficult to address, as I'm drunk.

To close, everything now (as ten years ago) sounds like it's been done before... one too many times around the merry-go-round?

Oh, and the attitudes get even worse. Johnny 'I'm a posh cunt' Tourette, anyone? Wanker, who apparently isn't...!?
    Meh, they haven't killed it but like followers of any cultural trend, there will be a load of charlatans who don't understand its messages, origins or what it's really about. They'll just follow it because it's fashionable. It's been happening probably since the dawn of time and will probably continue to do so throughout perpetuity.

Most modern indie is shit though.

I guess these twats are to indie what mini-moshers are to heavy metal.
    We missed you hisse the love catrs. dun duh dun duh duh duh der dun dun dun dur du du der.

Ah I ahd such a crush on Robert Smith when I was little. Catch was one of my fave songs. made me cream my little girl panties it did. Does that make me indie?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Scene kids can kill anything.

As Thunderstuck said, Indie isn't alone - the Metal scene is annoying full of dumbarse mosher kids. Who don't even have the first idea of what hte pit is about.

As for emo, well, let's ignore it and hope it goes away.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It's called getting old.
    Weekender Offender 
    i was a little bit drunk last night but my thoughts still count..

the truth is these kids think they are "indie" or whatever just cos they dressed in what looks like some smaller persons clothes they found in a bin bag.

i guess the same happened a few years ago with the rise in goths / skatery people.
    Skive wrote: »
    It's called getting old.

Haha, it is actually. I'm voting this for post of the week. :yes:
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Today though, I really do think that the generic bands like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! are basically styled the same (scruffy, long hair, skinny jeans and the generic NME "fuck everything" attitude.

51803130_128d6c0604.jpg

What? Bit of a sweeping generalisation to make for them. I heard them before I saw them and I still think theyre brill. :thumb: Not at all your NME pish.
    heh.

people can't help what music they like! People jump around in a club because they like the song, not because its fashionable to do it for a particular song lol..

Music doesn't have to have a deep background, although it's nice to recognise the roots of a scene, people will just take music for what it is and enjoy it.. it should mean to them whatever they perceive it as.

Yeah I know there are a lot of people following the brit indie trend, but its because people LIKE the music, you really think people go out and buy/listen to a cd they hate just to be in fashion? :no:

This topic actually comes up way too much, and its only the bitter ones you see complaining. the ones that are into the current NME stuff just get on with it, least theyre not moaning about what everyone else likes!

disclaimer: no im not into any of that stuff, im just looking at it from a neutral standpoint
    i love a bit of indie but i do definitely know what you mean koe, that pisses me right off in clubs. everybody swoops to the dancefloor for shit like the killers and the kaiser chiefs then nobody knows the true classics! thats only usually in new bars that think its trendy to be indie though. in the true indie clubs in manc like 42nd street etc, i think people go more mad for stuff like joy division and the stone roses.
    koe_182 wrote: »
    this included such classics as Stone Roses - Waterfall, The Cure - Love Cats, Blondie - call me, Buzzcocks - Never fallen in love, even some classic Oasis, when these songs came on it was like someone had just shat in their cereal, they didnt know what was going on....

Such tunes. The 'Indie' place i go the dancefloor is always packed. Then again theres never really a queue for the bar because it only has a 250 capacity.

Im not seeing the appeal of all these new bands, who are The Twang and so on. It certainly seems to have become more of a 'scene' over the last couple of years. The biggest example I can cite is I remember in March 2004 me and my mate were alone on a dancefloor in a club dancing to some song by some band called Kaiser Chiefs. You go there now and you cant move for all the locals in the place. Plus people in stupidly skinny jeans seem to be everywhere. Them with all their pristine hair annoys me. My hair never looks perfect!

It seems these places just play whats popular on Radio 1.

Though the DJ in the indie club i went to the other week wouldnt play any Sex Pistols or Ramones for me, it could have fitted right in there with Buzzcocks and The Jam!

Apoligies for the rambling. Im going on a stream of conciousness here.

So yes, fuck indie kids. Your music, your fashion, and your lifestyle is shite.

:yes:
    muse- wrote: »
    you really think people go out and buy/listen to a cd they hate just to be in fashion? :no: [/SIZE]

Uh, yeah. I can think of at least three people off the top of my head I know in RL that do this.
    Does it really matter? If you like music, dance to it - if not, don't. Who cares what all the sheep are in to - it'll be something different next week anyway.
    Music doesn't have to have a deep background

In this case it does though, if you have a load of "indie" kids running around to day proclaiming to be scene kids, you'd expect them to have some knowledge of the roots of the genre and actually like the earlier stuff. The fact that they don't just shows half of them are little bandwagon hoppers.
    Uh, yeah. I can think of at least three people off the top of my head I know in RL that do this.

Thats really really retarded. Why spend money on something you dont like? To be hip and cool and down with the kids. Yes.
    fuck indie kids and british indie. british indie is terrible at the moment. razorlight, snow patrol, jack fucking penate. crock of shit.

Been saying this for years. The shit they call indie now isn't even indie. The whole idea was that it was short for 'independant'. As in, independant from a major record label. Kind of a contradiction when bands like Razorlight are on Mercury.

scenes and genres evolve tho. "emo" isn't the "emotional hardcore" of the late 80's with bands like Fugazi, Rites of Spring, Texas Is The Reason, Mineral etc. indie is a daft term that's somehow been adopted.

i've never seen anyone do that, but ok if you know some that have :S
    In this case it does though, if you have a load of "indie" kids running around to day proclaiming to be scene kids, you'd expect them to have some knowledge of the roots of the genre and actually like the earlier stuff. The fact that they don't just shows half of them are little bandwagon hoppers.

But are they even saying it? I think they just listen to the music and get on with it, other people call them indie or scene way more than they call themselves it lol.
    anyone who bases their whole life/fashion/attitude around a musical genre is rather misguided i think.

and yes, all the new indie generic crap is boring especially the british stuff. But whilst Razorlight, The Kooks and Kaiser Chiefs will eventually fade away into obscurity, proper bands like the Stone Roses, Joy Division and The Smiths will live on forever.
    1983 wrote: »
    What? Bit of a sweeping generalisation to make for them. I heard them before I saw them and I still think theyre brill. :thumb: Not at all your NME pish.

I'd no idea who they were, but I've heard of them and other bands who've got the same sort of thing going.

They've still got silly hair and are clearly trying to do the geek chic gimmick though. If the guy second from the right didn't shave for a couple of days longer then he'd look like one of them dodgy old loners you hear about on the news!

Irrelevant anwyay, the point is that most of the genre is still shaped around one gimmick or another and that's part of what people buy into.
    the brit indie trend, but its because people LIKE the music, you really think people go out and buy/listen to a cd they hate just to be in fashion? :no:

Most of these people do probably quite like (or at least can tolerate) the music, but the fact that people subconciously want to be part of the whole scene makes them embrace the whole thing more than you normally would.

The whole rock'n'roll thing is so watered down now anyway, it's the most mainstream thing to try and be nowadays, which defeats the whole purpose of it.

I think it's a psychological problem. People like these have part of their brain missing, or something.
    Yeah I know there are a lot of people following the brit indie trend, but its because people LIKE the music, you really think people go out and buy/listen to a cd they hate just to be in fashion? :no:

Yeah, I reckon some do. In the same way that some people who know nothing about football and don't really like it will claim to support the team who's the best at the moment. Actually, it's not so much pretending to like music, it's pretending to dislike music that they might get the piss taken out of them for liking (the whole "all dance music is shit" thing) and agreeing with all your friends that someone is the "best band ever" when you only think they're okay. It's about fitting in with your friends, and most people did it when they were kids. Wearing the "right" trainers, supporting the "right" football team, listening to the "right" bands.

I went to a few indie nights at home, and I didn't mind them because they had all the old classics. But I was disappointed by the modern crap they played, only because I know that there's some great modern indie acts out there. The only good thing they played was Arcade Fire and QOTSA. The rest was crap like The Kooks, Kaiser Chiefs, Fratellis and even Avril Lavigne. Why no LCD Soundsystem, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Belle And Sebastian, The Shins, The Flaming Lips, The Decemberists, Bjork, and all the other good independent artists around at the moment. Apparently indie = scruffy twats with long hair and guitars now, rather than actual independent music.

I go to a proper indie night to hear stuff I wouldn't hear in every other club. It's like going to a rock night and having them play Sweet Child Of Mine ffs.