Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

horses and dogs....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was wondering about this earlier when I was walking my dog. There are quite a few horse owners in my area so they are reguarly going up and down the roads and paths. What I don't understand however, why is it ok for a horse to leave a heap of poo right in the middle of public pathways but not dogs? I think they're both as bad as each other. Now i know you can't exactly stop a horse from doing anything and can't pick the mess up in a bag. But a person can get fined if their dog does it and it's not cleaned up, yet a huge pile of horse poo can be left there. I just find it a bit strange.

Comments

• Options
    Because it's pretty hard to accidentally step in horse shit. That and the fact that the rider would need a bin bag and a shovel to scoop it up. And dogs are more likely to walk where humans walk. I imagine in the middle of a field in a national park next to the cow shit, you won't be fined for not picking up your dog shit.
  • Options
    Also, i would imagine that horse droppings break down quicker than dog's do - they're drier, and plant based whereas dogs eat meat and they're less degradable, they take longer to break down.

However, i could be talking out of my arse. I don't know really.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Isn't there something in dog shit that can cause blindness? I assume there isn't in horse manure.

Therefore it is less dangerous.

I however may be talking out of my arse...:yeees:
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Isn't there something in dog shit that can cause blindness?

Yep, we fella round my way's eye is all fucked up cos he rubbed dog shit in it when he was younger.

You can't train a horse to only take shits at home whereas you can with a dog.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's to do with dogs being carnivores which means their fecal matter is rather more unpleasant than that of horses which is basically mushed up plants.

I recall something about dog shit and blindness too....
  • Options
    Thats such a random question! But yeah, I'm sure dog doodoo can be dangeous. And it also smells far worse than what a horse might leave behind
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Yep, we fella round my way's eye is all fucked up cos he rubbed dog shit in it when he was younger.
    I so hope that was a joke! :yuck:
  • Options
    this is a bit off topic but it fucking winds me up when i see people riding horses on the roads, i mean basically round here where any horses are kept are surrounded by endless miles of countryside, all with public paths and bridleways, but yet they still come on the roads and get in the fucking way.

so much show i shout at them when i see them.

One night from work there were 2 horses trying to cross at the top of the motorway slip road, like what are they thinking.

go to the grass, where horses are supposed to be.

end of story.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Isn't there something in dog shit that can cause blindness? I assume there isn't in horse manure.

:yes: and other diseases.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    this is a bit off topic but it fucking winds me up when i see people riding horses on the roads, i mean basically round here where any horses are kept are surrounded by endless miles of countryside, all with public paths and bridleways, but yet they still come on the roads and get in the fucking way.

One night from work there were 2 horses trying to cross at the top of the motorway slip road, like what are they thinking.

end of story.

ah ha ha, I take it you're not a horsey person? lol
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    ah ha ha, I take it you're not a horsey person? lol

im actually quite fond of horses, just not on the roads, i dont get it.

if i was to drive around the fields, people would think i was a loon
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit

end of story.

You wouldn't want to live round my way then. Horseriders and all creatures great and small wandering freely.

Horse shit is bassically just grass. We used to throw it (dried) at each other as kids. I don't pick up my dogs shit on the forest, I don't really see the point. Infact I have never had to pick up my dogs shit.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's because dog poo is fucking gross, while horse poo is very little more than wet and slightly chewed hay.

My riding boots are utterly caked in horse poo and I never even bother to clean them. If I owned any footwear that became caked in dog poo, I'd cry and throw them out asap, while gipping.
  • Options

end of story.

Horses were on the roads before cars were! :p
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Horses were on the roads before cars were! :p

true, but they lost first dibs on the roads when they stopped using them, 5 second rule and all that.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    I so hope that was a joke! :yuck:

Pardon the pun but I shit you not. Really did happen, poor cunt.