Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bank Charges..Confused :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I have never gone over my limit so I aint a clue if what happened is correct or not....

I have a student overdraft which I have hit

my phone bill was due out on the 11th but i couldnt pay till the 12th

the bank have charged me £38 WITHOUT honouring my bill....is this right?

i thought they only charged you if they honoured the request and you went over your overdraft?

or do they charge just for o2 trying to get the money and not being able to?

this has never happed to me before, so sorry for bein daft :*

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It seems that according to MoneySavingExpert.com the banks either tend to do one of the following;

1) Honour the amount required and then charge you for an 'unofficial overdraft request'

2) Don't honour the amount required and still charge you for the privilege (reckon it has something to do with admin etc)

Both can be claimed back but the claiming letters are slightly different...
    ty for the reply

i wouldnt have minded AS MUCH if they had honoured it THEN charged but just to charge is a bit snide!

its only £38...do u reckon its worth claiming back?
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    too right it is worth claiming back, that is a new top and shoes!

Have you spoken to the bank and asked them why they have taken it out?
    Tis up to you whether you want to try and claim it back, all depends on whether £38 to you is worth the hassle.

Banks either honour it and charge you, or don't honour it and charge you for the hassle of bouncing it.
    think i'll claim it back, being such a small amount, i cant see them dragging their heels, then again......lol

thanks guys x
    Apparently the charges cover the cost of "admin", and are not a fee for a service. Unless they let you do it, in which case they are, apparently.

Claim it back. Ask the bank nicely for it back, and when they say no, claim it back. They'll probably pay out, and you'll have more chance of success because the bank cannot claim it was a fee for a service- it can only possibly be a penalty charge.

When the revolution comes, give me a rifle and I'll quite happily execute the CEOs of all the major banks, robbing cunts that they are. I don't know how they sleep at night, to tell the truth, I think its because they're not human.
    thanks kermit, do u recommend i send a letter asking for it back and put in it that if they refuse i'll claim it back? or is that a bit tactless?x
    They're a bank, you can't be tactless with a bank! Follow Martin's steps and you'll be fine, and don't be scared of the bank.

The bank, don't forget, are not your friend. They are there to make money out of you, and that is their only aim. Don't think you have to be nice to the pondlife (but don't be abusive because the minions who work there won't help you).
    Kermit wrote: »
    I don't know how they sleep at night, to tell the truth.

Horlicks :yes: