Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Guilty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody else feel extremly guilty when they spend money? Its been getting worse and worse for me all the time. I always only spend money I have and pay bills and important things first. I've never had a balance on anay credit card and pay them within a couple days of the statement ending and i have enough money in checkings and savings accounts to cover what I spend and enough for emergency things. So I'm smart about it all, but I feel so bad still.

I used to go out to lunch all the time and buy new socks or something fun that I might want. Now if I get something off a $1 menu I feel so guilty about spending the money I get sick to my stomache. I checked one of my statements today and I almost cried. Between some stupidly expensive shampoo I bought because I could start a petting zoo with hair that has fallen out and some new piercings and jewelry, I spent way more than I usually do and I feel absoutly horrible about it.

I guess some of the feelings could stem from financial costs of school, my insurance has changed and my prescriptions are stupidly expensive now and I know in about a year (at 100,000 miles, hey, its a chevy :p) I'll probably be needing a new car.

Now I've made adjustments. My parents (just like for the rest of the kids) are helping with school, but I realize how expensive it is and it makes me feel horrible when I realize how much they are paying too! They are more than willing and won't even listen when I suggest I pay a higher amount. I'm extremly, extremly gratefull, just to say. So that isn't really even a problem for me. But I feel horrible about them spending money on me!

The prescriptions work themselves out. It just takes about a month for me to get my 70% back.

And I know I've got decent credit and I've been generally looking around at different options and prices for cars and I have some money saved up already and I know when that time comes everything will be just fine.

So essentially, theres no reason why I should be feeling so horrible by spending some money on myself.

And to make it weirder, I have no problem spending money on somebody else. When I bought my sister a graduation gift, or I'll gladly pick up the bill on dinner with my boyfriend or take him out for ice cream. I'll even pick up something for my mom if its on sale around here and usually just tell her she can take me to the pizza ranch when I visit for repayment :p

Sorry for such a long long long stupid rant. I just don't want to feel like crap when I want a smoothie anymore!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds a little like buyers remorse. Both before and after you buy something.

If you have the money to spend and have no nagging debts or owe anyone money then I think its OK. You seem smart with your money anyway so its OK to treat yourself to stuff.

Just think, if you feel guilty about buying yourself something all the time. You'd never buy anything. Money comes and money goes as some say.
    Embaressingly, it kind of has already. I walk around in pants that are 1-2 sizes to big because I can't bring myself to go out and buy some more since I've lost weight. And shirts are no better. I shrink all the ones I own and just get pissed off in the morning every single day, but still don't get new ones. I even have a $25 off $75 cupon and $10 free for my birthday from my favorite store and *still* can't do it!

I will... because I still can't pass up a good deal :p But I'll contemplate over it and it'll run thru my head until the final day I can use the cards.

You are right though, it comes and goes...

Maybe if I pile up all my no longer fitting clothes and give them away, havn't done that in a while. Then if I see how little I actually have it might help? Though honestly then Ill probably just bitch about how I still have nothing to wear :\
    Yeah, then you not only clear out your space in your room. You can buy stuff without feeling guilty.