Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bernard Manning...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Comedy star Bernard Manning dies

Controversial comedian Bernard Manning has died at the age of 76, The Embassy Club - his comedy venue in Manchester - has confirmed.
He shot to fame in the 1970s on ITV programme The Comedians and was renowned for his off-colour humour.

More follows...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6765093.stm

Now he has passed away will he be viewed as a comedy great with a rogueish act making jokes out of everybody.
Or simply a bigot?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wasn't really old enough to see him live really. By the time I was old enough to watch him, he'd already been pretty much chucked out of TV, and from interviews, he did seem like a bit of a racist twat. Doesn't mean he wasn't a talented comedian though. But like I said, I've never sat down and watched one of his shows from start to finish, so I can't really have an opinion on how good he was.

RIP though.
    good riddance.
    No great loss.
    Shit, what are the BNP going to do for their Christmas party then ??

Still I heard Jim Davidson is still avaliable. :D
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Ill be honest, never found him funny at all.
    About time
    Calvin wrote: »
    Shit, what are the BNP going to do for their Christmas party then ??

Still I heard Jim Davidson is still avaliable. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Post of the week!

Maybe it's because i'm quite pissed but that really did make me laugh!
    He was a bigoted old fool, but I don't think he was racist, because he was abusive to everyone.

I'm not going to be nice just 'cause he's dead, but I never understood why he was so vilified. I thought he was fairly funny, and the people who were offended by him were just the usual whingey moany PC twats who get offended by everything.
    I always liked his turkey drumsticks.
    Kermit wrote: »
    He was a bigoted old fool, but I don't think he was racist, because he was abusive to everyone.

I'm not going to be nice just 'cause he's dead, but I never understood why he was so vilified. I thought he was fairly funny, and the people who were offended by him were just the usual whingey moany PC twats who get offended by everything.

Good post, think you've summed up what i think better than i could have put it.

was he abusive to working class mancunians? i think jimmy carr asked that question once
    Bri-namite wrote: »

:lol:

They were bootiful :D

So objecting to calling black people "jungle bunnies" is PC whinging is it?
    He didnt only tell Racist jokes, he told every kind of joke going, he spent a whole week with a black guy who was a major campaigner against racism who concluded Manning was a a har,less lovable old fashioned comic that should be enjoyed.

He hardly deserves to have it said he deserved to die for a few jokes... he wasnt Hitler or Stalin or Lenin or Himmler was he?
    No, he didn't only tell racist jokes. He was however, racist. He admitted as much himself.
    :D:lol:

That's funny, because I thought he was lacking humour with or without racist material, and the people who defended him were just the usual whingey moany closeted-fascist "in my day 'n i g g e r' was a fun word, before the world went PC-mad" twats who use political correctness as a catch-all argument clincher no matter how dubious it is.

**begins to wonder if Bri was joking or really did think he made those drunmsticks** :chin:

:D
    Meh. Sometimes funny, usually offensive.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I thought he was just boring tbh - but this comment is a bit :eek2:
    http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/marcus_brigstocke/2007/06/surplus_manning.html
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I thought he was just boring tbh - but this comment is a bit :eek2:
    http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/marcus_brigstocke/2007/06/surplus_manning.html

Yeah, I get an impression he wasn't a big Bernard fan...

"He did have great timing - everyone will say that over the next few days, and I would join them - except that it is no compliment. Manning had great timing ... yeah, and that mentally ill lad who murdered all those kids at Virginia Tech was a bloody good shot, but that's hardly the point, is it?"

Great quote that though

Edited to add: Some of the posts people are making in response are well worth a read too
    Blagsta wrote: »
    No, he didn't only tell racist jokes. He was however, racist. He admitted as much himself.

When did he admit he was a racist?
    Bullseye wrote: »

on mrs merton .....

i wonder if all these people going on about how he was bigoted and are glad he is dead, have never told an irish joke, sexist, or a gay joke......

unless its a knock knock joke, or a joke suitable for kids, most jokes that do the rounds would/could cause offence to Someone, somewhere

i'm a woman....i find some sexist jokes funny.....as long as its light hearted i dont see a problem

*awaits abuse*
    Bullseye wrote: »

On the Mrs Merton show. They played a clip on the news last night.
    Littleali wrote: »
    on mrs merton .....

i wonder if all these people going on about how he was bigoted and are glad he is dead, have never told an irish joke, sexist, or a gay joke......

unless its a knock knock joke, or a joke suitable for kids, most jokes that do the rounds would/could cause offence to Someone, somewhere

i'm a woman....i find some sexist jokes funny.....as long as its light hearted i dont see a problem

*awaits abuse*

The difference is that Manning got paid to do it and made racism appear acceptable.
    Blagsta wrote: »
    The difference is that Manning got paid to do it and made racism appear acceptable.

aye

but if us meer mortals did find racist/sexist/homophobic jokes funny, he wouldnt have been as successful/rich as he was...