Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wsj2007

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
World Scout Jamboree 2007, this summer, UK.

Anyone going? ~Anyone heard abou it?

I know at first glance it just sounds like a scout camp but there is so much more to it than that, and you'll find 40 000 kids from all over the world enjoying activities together, from adventurous ones to global development ones will teach them a lot about each other, themselves, their world and tolerance.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My father is going, as part of the service team, i would have thought about it too, though theres no way i could take the time off work.
    Yay! Any ideas what he's doing yet or is he still in the murky darkness? I'm lucky, I'm on placement this summer which just about fits in before it starts. I'm going to staff the watersports site.
    I'm pretty sure Guiding didn't so a similar one, smaller event possibly. It only happens every 4 years (ish) and has Scouts from all over the world.

Shame about your Scouts, it sounds unusual it has to be said. Would have thought there should be plenty more scout troops around though, or aren't you old enough for Explorers yet?
    Sounds very odd.

The brownie thing you're talking about sounds like a regional camp, they are very different but if you enjoyed that and get back into being a member of Scouting then there are lots of those and international camps around that you can go to as staff once you're over 16/18.
    Lets be honest. Its going to be rubbish because they didnt want any of the long standing scout activity teams to be there to run activities. Just incase we were not still around when it came round, and becasue we were not envirnomentally friendly enough.

Ah well there lose.:yeees:
    Let's be fair, it isn't going to be rubbish. Bits may not have been as good as they could have been, but I wouldn't go as far as rubbish.
    Ok it may not be quite that bad, but theyre still missing out on some of the better teams by using that rubbish excuse thats all and envirnomentally friendly lol theyre using a fleet of coachs to take them all over the place to do stuff off-site.
    Although as far as I know there was nothing stopping members of those teams applying for the jobs.

They're only bussing to Splash! and Gilwell, which seems fair because they are good places to do the activities and it gets 2 sets of people off site a day which eases the space issues too.

It's fairly rubbish on the environment front, you kind of wish they'd stop trying to pretend otherwise.
    I know some members of the team that are going, 2 helping with staff catering and 1 helping the bat team (although not sure thats there).
    My dads going to help with the camp site set-up. But he works for the scouts anyway.