Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Change in circumstances RE: Student grants/loans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Last year I applied to SAAS for a student grant because my mum has a low income.

This year I have my own house (I'm staying here but it's not official, my address is still my mum's house)

I'm just thinking because I'm living myself now and I declare it on the form, will I lose out? Or am I better just saying I'm still with my mum?

I have a job, but the hours are really poor (and so am I!)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm no expert on this, they manage to confuse me more every day, but I wouldn't have thought that being on your own could mean you get less support from them than you would if you lived with your mum.
  • Options
    yeah but, it's my house. By the time I apply I'll (hopefully) legally own it. My dad's giving it to me.
  • Options
    I'd recommend that you don't lie about where you are living or anything on the SAAS forms- it may come back on you sometime. You will still receive just as much money as far as I'm aware- why not talk to some of your friends who lived in halls and see what they got last year? Living on your own will just be like living in halls or student flat no matter if you own the house or not.
  • Options
    I don't know about SAAS (or what it is) but with the student loans company/ student finance direct they lend you less if you do live at home.