Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Reflections on Blair: The African Chapter

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just to say there's a difference between racism, and a right-wing political view. I'm sure some people would take issue with some of the comments in this thread in their view of the problems faced by Africa, but there's a difference between taking the view that slavery shouldn't be a part of modern political views and saying all black people are stupid, or judging them all into one group defined by colour.

Just explaining why the actions been taken to ban Toth
    Jim V wrote: »

I know you have to but it is always a shame, I was hoping for an answer to my question.
    Territt wrote: »
    it is a long time

It's not at all. For someone who is, say, in their 50's today, it would be something their grandparents could have recalled.

America practised apartheid until the 1960's - a consequence of the slave trade. Jamaica is in the fucked up state it's in now as a direct consequence of slave trade and colonialism. Check your history books.
    toth8 wrote: »
    India was a colony which was treated badly. Yet India has been more politically stable than most sub-Saharan African countries. Poverty alone cannot be the answer.

but Bangladesh, which was part of the British Raj also, is just about the most corrupt country in the world........
    And despite some border problems African countries like Senegal, aren't exactly ridden with civil wars or corruption.
    Jim V wrote: »
    Just to say there's a difference between racism, and a right-wing political view. I'm sure some people would take issue with some of the comments in this thread in their view of the problems faced by Africa, but there's a difference between taking the view that slavery shouldn't be a part of modern political views and saying all black people are stupid, or judging them all into one group defined by colour.

To be honest I thought it was obvious and just wondered why it took so long...
    Because in the end we do want to have a wide political spectrum here - if we can we'd prefer people can temper their posts rather than get banned (though personal insults make the decision quicker). After all a poster can be a racist, though not post racist material. Though at the time I hadn't seen the comments by Toth about women either :rolleyes: