Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

applying to uni without keyskills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
basically, my colleges admin fucked the dates up so only a few people got told the day before the exam, so i didn't get entered. Now they forgot to enter me for the re-sit, and won't pay the late entrants fee, so i've got to wait untill next april do sit the exam....

are unis going to look down on this or not?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    That's really bad of your college to do that! But no, I think university's see it as a optional extra thing. My careers teacher told me I didn't have to mention it when I applied, but I did anyway. I wouldn't worry, it's your A levels they're interested in I think.
  • Options
    I dont know how your college wont pay the late entry fee's its their fuck up they should pay
  • Options
    they have caused me so many problems, and yeah they should be paying but it's not worth complaining
  • Options
    The uni won't give a damn.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have thought they would mind unless it was part of your entry conditions. I didn't even take key skills, noone had a problem with that.
  • Options
    I don't think unis will care. Some of the unis I've looked at have said something like 'either C at GCSE English or level 3/4 (I think) at Communication'.
  • Options
    That's a good point, they usuall want some proof that you can read write and count, if you have A*-C in English and Maths GCSEs you should be ok though.
  • Options
    unis dont care bout keyskills and many say so many ucas points excluding keyskills so wouldnt worry

my friend got into medicine even though she failed it so yeah dont think they bothered
  • Options
    Keyskills are useless, most universities expressly discount them from UCAS points, etc. You'll be fine.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Keyskills are useless, most universities expressly discount them from UCAS points, etc. You'll be fine.

:yes:
  • Options
    Universities do not give a shit about Key Skills qualifications. They know full well that "Key Skills" was merely introduced as a sticking plaster to hide the fact the education system has failed to teach them to read and write properly. Thankfully, those in charge of higher education are not morons. They wouldn't look at the Key Skills anyway.
  • Options
    I chose not to study for ANY key skills and my uni are perfectly happy with that.

Key Skills is just another money making scheme thought up by someone in the government who was so bored twiddling their thumbs racking their brains and this is what they could come up with. It's a pile of useless timewasting and is not recognised by universities as a bonefide (sp) qualification.
  • Options
    Key Skills is just another money making scheme thought up by someone in the government who was so bored twiddling their thumbs racking their brains and this is what they could come up with. It's a pile of useless timewasting and is not recognised by universities as a bonefide (sp) qualification.
    Correct. Most students simply don't bother with them, to be honest. When I was at college, most people had Key Skills on a Tuesday afternoon, so most of them simply went into town instead.
  • Options
    In my course we have to do key skills, it is a compulsary part of the course. I got A in maths, A in both englishes and an A in ICT in my GCSEs yet I have just completed my key skills portfolio at college. If I failed my keyskills then they said i could fail my whole course. It is shit, but thats my college for ya
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    In my course we have to do key skills, it is a compulsary part of the course. I got A in maths, A in both englishes and an A in ICT in my GCSEs yet I have just completed my key skills portfolio at college. If I failed my keyskills then they said i could fail my whole course. It is shit, but thats my college for ya
    They would say that. The more qualifications they manage to screw out of their students, the more money they get. The funding system is deliberately rigged in such a way. Colleges and schools long stopped actually educating people on how to pass anything other than an exam. Universities are going the same way as well.
  • Options
    I had to fight my college when they wouldn't release me from Key Skills at the beginning of my course. I was 20 and they still wanted me to do it (more funding for them) and were so so reluctant to back down on it.

It's not compulsary for anyone over 19 but most institutions like to keep that quiet.
  • Options
    I chose not to study for ANY key skills and my uni are perfectly happy with that.

Indeed they are. They would be more useful if they actually taught us stuff about money and stuff and not how to play board games.:rolleyes:
    If I failed my keyskills then they said i could fail my whole course.

That's probably rubbish. For some reason now, my school has stopped making us do key skills (:yippe: ) and made us just bring stuff in for revision on a Friday. Either that or we go to our work placement.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think they're using that as a scare tactic. Key skills runs along side a qualification, not as part of it, so technically they're talking bullshit.
  • Options
    Going slightly OT, but I got told (can't remember who by) that Key SKills help people get apprenticeships. is this true or are they just taking bullshit?
  • Options
    How much use Key Skills are to you depends what else you've got. If you weren't really the academic type at school and therefore didn't do well in your Maths/English/ICT GCSEs and have no other way to show your capabilities then they are great.

If you've got other ways to strut your stuff then they are naff all use.
  • Options
    How much use Key Skills are to you depends what else you've got. If you weren't really the academic type at school and therefore didn't do well in your Maths/English/ICT GCSEs and have no other way to show your capabilities then they are great.

If you've got other ways to strut your stuff then they are naff all use.

My tutor knows I got Cs for Maths and ITC at GCSE (we had to fill in some sort of form when we started saying what grades we got), but still made me do Key Skills in those subjects. And to make it worse, Key Skills IT was basically a repeat of GCSE ICT.:yeees:
  • Options
    I didn't say whether or not you would have to do it, purely how much use the qualification would be to you.

Although by making people in college do it regardless of what their GCSEs were it keeps the skills up.