Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why do people take drugs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,
I'm a student of sociology trying to understand why young people take drugs as part of my desertation.
I'm not interested in who you are, I would just like some idea of why people take drugs or why you think they take drugs. Things like:
-meanings taking drugs have to people that take them
-when they take them, e.g. at home or outin a club.
-why they take them then, e.g. peer pressure, to enhance social abilities, etc.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Ok Meanings taking drugs has for me...

None really, it's just a way of having fun

When I take them...

Take drugs mainly when I'm outside with mates. usually dope, pills, coke or acid, when I was on harder drugs they would be taken indoors generally on my own.
    Do pills or coke when I'm out in pubs/clubs/concerts, but usually drink nowadays.
    Basically there is no set time to do drugs I prefer just doing em when I need something to do, some people go shopping I take a few pills or trip. Just something that I find fun to do.

Why I take them...

Well I wouldn't say it was peer pressure, first time I smoked no1 else did, just nicked a cig of my nan, first time I did drugs was when I bought some dope of some1 a couple of years above me at school... no1 outta my friends new I did it, but they all started smoking after me...
    It was more as an experiment, just trying out new things and I liked them so kept doing them.

Hope it helps.... n e more info just ask

[This message has been edited by Daze (edited 22-08-2000).]
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    This may or may not be related to the drug taking, but are these clubs places to just hang out or do they reflect your taste in music? I don't need names of clubs or anything, I would just like to see if drugs go hand in hand with types of music or if drug taking is a similar behaviour to drinking alcohol on a Friday night anywhere that is open late enough.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Mainly the clubs I go to vary a lot, most of the people I hang around with r into Drum n Bass so we go to a lot of drum n bass clubs, I'm more into metal n Hip-Hop but it's difficult to find clubs that do that round where I live, I go to other clubs that play 'normal' Ibiza style music with other friends although they definately don't have as many people taking drugs in them, I would say that drumb n bass has the most drugs in it, where as more commercial clubs it's usually people just drinkng in them.
  • Options
    I started doing weed when I was about 13. This was because of peer presure because I had said i never would. I then just fought fuck it and did it all the time. I don't smoke normal fags, just weed. Then about a year ago I diecided to start on pills to get a bigger rush out of clubbing-it is better than just drinking. I am a regular on pills now and normally just do it a home with some mates just talking and tripping if we have had enough. I was talking to them the other day and we are going out on a big binge one night in a few weeks. We are getting coke speed and they said a bit of heroin for the come down helps-but not injecting. My close friends only do weed and think I am sad for doing harder shit-but fuck it. I come from a good caring family background and i am in the sixth form at school still. Drugs haven't got in the way coz i can still work hard-i am just more chilled out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can I ask you a few questions? (just ignore if already bored)
    -Do you only take drugs when going clubbing?
    -What sort of music do they typically play in these clubs?
    -Are you worried about the consequences of your drug taking? (not meaning to lecture I'm just interested in the attitudes behind the behaviour)

Thanks
    Nicola.
  • Options
    I don't only do drugs when i go clubbing. I used to but now I do pills round a mates house just listening to music and talking. I will still take them at a club though, but it is not the only time. The clubs I go to play dance, trance and garage but when i am on my own i listen to stuff like oasis,verve, richard ashcroft and that kind of thing.
    I would be lieing if i said i wasn't worried about the consequences. I am more worried for my family that i will leave behind than for myself, but i also don't want to get addicted to stuff like heroin, coke or speed. I will only do it in moderation and try and make sure i don't go out of hand on it. I already know that my memory is shit compared to what it used to be , but you have to accept the risks. I enjoy doing it so i will continue to do it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    To Phatboy and anyone else that thinks the comments are relevant to them,
    so do you largely take drugs in social settings? What I mean is when out in a club/friends house, not by yourself at home.
    What is your favourite type of music?
    Do you think that drug taking enhances the music listening experience?
    To dance all night do people need something like ecstasy to boost them?
    Or is it largely irrelevant what types of music are played in a club as drugs wil be taken anyway?
    Sorry about the bombardment of questions again.
    Any additional detail (anonymous) is welcome from anyone:
    desertationgirl@yahoo.com.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Largely irrelevant I think... If your gonna go out n go to a club u have a choice of what to do. I like metal n Hip-Hop but I'd do drugs n e where I'm going.. no preferences.. the only time I might have a preference is going out with friends that don't do drugs at all... sometimes not as comfortable being the only one doing drugs n they don't even know what it's like.
  • Options
    I started smoking weed and resin when I was 14, just because I wanted to experience it and I did it off my own back with one friend who was trying it for the first time too.

Although I started smoking cigarettes at 13 because of peer pressure!

I then got involved in an older circle of friends (20 and 30 somethings) that lived on my street that were into hardcore smoking sessions most nights using home made pipes.

I tried speed once with them (at 17 years of age) for the experience. There was no pressure at all. Just the offer.

I never took anything when going out clubbing. I got out of drugs at 17 years of age (I am now 25 and have never even considered taking anything since).

I am into the London club scene and I don't take anything to go out dancing. I sometimes club all through the night on my own natural energy. I drink water, don't drink alcohol very often and I don't smoke cigarettes.

I'm a bit of a health freak nowadays so maybe you could assume that the reformed are more paranoid about screwing up their bodies than people that have never touched a drug.

I don't mind others doing it, I just would never do it again myself. Not because of bad experiences but because I feel the need to live a healthier lifestyle.

(I don't even drink coffee)!