Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Breaking in new shoes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hate wearing new shoes, even the best fitting ones end up hurting my feet the first few times I wear them. Are there any tips on how to break them in more quickly/ more comfortably?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the best way is to just wear them round the house make sure youve got socks on too so they dont rub
    Wear them around the house, plus put vaseline on the places you think they might rub (on your shoes and your feet) and you should be fine.
    Get someone who's bigger sized than you are to wear them for ten minutes!
    can't really offer Advice, just wanted to say that doc martins are a real bugger to break in!
    Nutter wrote: »
    can't really offer Advice, just wanted to say that doc martins are a real bugger to break in!

Mine have been ok up to now, only worn them three times but they seem ok

*touches wood*
    jelly tots wrote: »
    Mine have been ok up to now, only worn them three times but they seem ok

*touches wood*

lol...just wait.. *twitches*

keep them loose for a while if they do rub too much :wave:
    you can also soften the material of the shoes up by using your hands and bending them in to various position. i find the backs of shoes always rub my heels, so if you bend the back part of the shoe up on itself and back again it makes the material more flexible...works for other parts of the shoes too and can make it more comfortable when you wear them in properly
    as others have said, wear them around the house.

twice I've had problems with the top of the heel rubbing - I slipped them over the top of the stair post and gave the leather a taste of the rolling pin.

But these are gents shoes, so I don't know how much of this is applicable to your situation
    most of the soes i own dont really give me blisters or anything the first few times i wear them. But, if its something from new look or similar places they kill! So i ust wear them with those footsie (foot stockings) things and plasters underneath until they soften up.

The highstreet shops i mostly get my shoes from are Aldo, Nine West and Bata...and i've never had problems with them rubbing.
    I normally get some blister plasters in, wear them around the house a bit and then put the plasters on where I've worked out they're going to rub.
    I've been wearing them around the house, trying to build it up slowly. It's so annoying that shoes aren't comfortably when new, I'd buy far more pairs if they were.

Thanks for all your replies guys.
    luvmeright wrote: »
    I think the best way is to just wear them round the house make sure youve got socks on too so they dont rub

Real thick winter socks too. So they stretch out a bit and your feet are protected.
    Pay your skint best mate a tenner to wear them for a day. Always works for me :D except when I'm the skint one
    Pay your skint best mate a tenner to wear them for a day. Always works for me :D except when I'm the skint one

My best mates are all blokes! I can't see any of them squeezing into my size fours but it would be amusing to see :chin:
    well atm i'm breaking in some new-ish pointe shoes, i walk around the house with socks over them (stop them getting dirty) so i suppose you could do the same but with socks underneath? Bend and stretch your feet in them aswell.
    Incase anyone cares (!) the shoes are now broken in and are really comfortable :thumb:
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Incase anyone cares (!) the shoes are now broken in and are really comfortable :thumb:

:lol: nice one. sorted.
    So what was your trick
    Out of curiousity where/are they proper shoes or trainers ?
    edn1 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity where/are they proper shoes or trainers ?

They are a pair of kickers shoes which are kind of smart-casual. They are good as they are smart enough for nights out but comfortable enough for walking about town in.