Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Earning tips!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just wondering what makes you guys want to tip a waitress, or to say to a barmaid "keep the change" or "have one on me"???
Im hopefully starting a new job in this field soon+would love to earn abit of extra cash aswell as my wages!!!
thanx

Comments

• Options
    Good service, make that individual customer think they are the most important person you have to look after.

Make an effort to talk to the customer and sounds interested in what they tell you.

If they are regulars remember what they order and give them quick service when they want something.

And if your a women, it might help wearing a low cut top and flirting like hell :D
  • Options
    just being really smiley/polite and helpful...give the customers the impression that you would go out of your way to make sure that they are happy...and yes, flirting helps a bit too.
  • Options
    I think sometimes it's a bit out of your hands. Some people just do it out of habit (or equally, don't do it out of habit). I always tip my hairdresser or if I go out for a meal... But I never tip bar staff.
  • Options
    I always tip my hairdresser the change from a 20 pound note. The girl who does my eyebrows I already know, but I hand out her business cards to people I know so that counts as her tip :razz:

I think if you're just smiley and chatty then it gives you a good chance. I sometimes tip bar staff if she's nice looking and smiley or that, but if I was with her indoors then it's not worth risking my life for :nervous:
  • Options
    It's important to decide what kind of customer you're dealing with. Some will want to be left alone with minimal interaction, others will want a good chat.

Try to predict their needs; i.e if you're in a cafe or retaurant and they have kids with them, try to find something that will help them keep the kids quiet. I always kept a little bowl of marshmallows and smarties or a colouring book on hand to whip out if a table with kids started complaining. Fair enough I bought it myself, but I made back triple the money in tips!

Or if they're regulars, keep note of what they talk to you about and then act on it. I had a regular who loved classic cars, so when I found an advert for a classic car fair in the back of a magazine, I clipped it out and took it to work for the next time he came in.
  • Options
    I'm always really generous with other people's money...
  • Options
    just wondering what makes you guys want to tip a waitress, or to say to a barmaid "keep the change" or "have one on me"???
    Im hopefully starting a new job in this field soon+would love to earn abit of extra cash aswell as my wages!!!
    thanx

When I was a barmaid, I tended to get tips either off the regulars, or people at weddings. Just smile, ask how they are, remember what they drink, chat to them, usual stuff. But don't do it in the hope of getting a tip.

And if they say "have one for yourself", don't take the piss and take loads.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I usually tip by default. I just don't tip any at all if the waiter/tress has made a mistake, like bringing me the wrong thing.
  • Options
    I'm fairly generous with tips and do generally tell the barmaid to "keep the change" if I'm ordering a round, or leave at least 10% after having a meal. To get a tip from me, it's basically just a case of being polite, friendly, having a bit of a chat and remembering to laugh at my jokes. Calling me Sir goes a long way too! If you can make me feel like I'm the only customer that matters to you while you're on that shift, then you're guaranteed to make something out of me!

A few occasions where you haven't a chance in hell of getting a tip however:

1) If you know I've been waiting at the bar longer than the person next to me, but choose to serve them first.

2) If you don't show an ounce of personality whilst serving me. I work with the public, so I know half the people you serve are absolute arseholes and sympathise if you're feeling a tad knacked off. That isn't an excuse to treat me with contempt however. There's no need to go over the top, but rolling your eyes and huffing and puffing will guarantee there's no tip involved. Just smile, be polite and pretend you're enjoying serving me!

3) If you don't know the products you're working with well enough. If I order a drink or a dish that you've run out of, offer me something similar, don't just say "it's off I'm afraid" and expect me to know what the next best thing is off the top of my head.

4) If you rush the job so you can get on to serving the next person. I want to feel that you actually want to serve me, rather than get rid of me!

Those are four things to avoid that I can think of off the top my head!
  • Options
    I tip 10% if I have the change and only with hold it if I don't like the service/food.
    I know what measly wages they're on after all.
  • Options
    Smile, smile, smile.

I used to make a king's ransom in tips when I was a waitress - all by smiling: kindly at people's kids, in mutual understanding at whining old gits and like I was going to rip the clothes off groups of young men ;)

I was also a damn good waitress, it has to be said.
  • Options
    I concur with Briggi.

Also - chat to tourists. They're big tippers. :D