Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cannabis in tea

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long does the effects usually kick in if you have it in tea or ingest it by other means?

Comments

• Options
    Usually around half hour to an hour for me. Can take up to a couple of hours.
  • Options
    never tried it anyother way than smoking it, but Im told its slower than smoking for the effects to kick in :thumb:
  • Options
    Couple of hours? Bugger :(

OK thanks.
  • Options
    FYI; THC is not soluble in water, so if you've put either Block or Skunk in it you'll need to ingest the leaves for it to have much effect. The chemical is soluble in fat, so you can dissolve it in a little butter and make some tasty treats that way.
  • Options
    FYI; THC is not soluble in water, so if you've put either Block or Skunk in it you'll need to ingest the leaves for it to have much effect. The chemical is soluble in fat, so you can dissolve it in a little butter and make some tasty treats that way.

So you're saying if I crumble some Block in to the tea, I'll need to make sure I swallow the crumbs?
  • Options
    you're better off smoking tbh. as Martin_Bashir said its not soluble in water. you could put it in milky tea but even if you do that it'll take ages to kick in.
  • Options
    otter ive found eating it to be much better than smoking but it can take anywhere from half an hour up to 2 hours to start working and lasts alot longer.

I remember i ate one before and then got called into work, pure pie eyed the entire shift at work for 8 hours.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    otter ive found eating it to be much better than smoking

making cannabis cookies... always a good idea :cool:

personally, i don't think there is any substitute for smoking it, but everyone to their own :)
  • Options
    Thing is, I don't smoke and I'm not taking it up just to save an hour of my time.
  • Options
    i think its slightly soluble in milk? you're supposed to heat it up in a saucepan with milk for a bit

i'd stick to using cooking oil or butter tho - and it'll blow your socks off if you do it right!
  • Options
    If you want to eat it in something quick, try a potnoodle. Always worked for me, and takes affect in roughly an hr max. Also with all the little bits of crap you get in a potnoodle, u dont notice its horrid taste so much.
  • Options
    Janjan wrote: »
    If you want to eat it in something quick, try a potnoodle. Always worked for me, and takes affect in roughly an hr max. Also with all the little bits of crap you get in a potnoodle, u dont notice its horrid taste so much.

You cant put something so natural as cannabis in a Pot Noodle; you will be expecting real chicken and real mushrooms in it next :p
  • Options
    I drink it in tea, and it takes about 20 minutes... In brownies, takes about 10 minutes haha.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I drink it in tea, and it takes about 20 minutes... In brownies, takes about 10 minutes haha.

:confused:

In my experience the effects from both eating and drinking cannabis can take from anything between 20 minutes to over an hour to kick in.

Anybody who's ever ingested any drug will tell you it's a very rough science both in predicting how much to ingest and how long it will take to kick in.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Another question - how much should I put in? If I get a small block, should I just put a few crumbs in? I want to use it as a pain killer so what would you guys suggest?
  • Options
    If you are intending to use Cannabis as a painkiller in the long-term you should at least tell your GP. Also, could you tell us what sort of pain this is for, if you feel comfortable doing that?

Skunk would probably be the best thing if you're eating it (not a great idea to be ingesting all those petro-chemical compounds in Block) but whatever the case, you'll need to dose it for yourself.

A quick and easy method is to get a strong-tasting full-fat yogurt, and mix a preparation into it. To do this, find a deep-ish spoon (like a serving spoon or an ice cream scoop) and put some butter into it. Melt it over a flame (a lighter is fine) and then add the dope to it

With block i'd probably put about a teenth (half and eighth) in for pain relief. crumble it in and then stir it around in the hot solution until it mixes a bit (doesnt have to be completely, it'll be obvious when its mixed enough). Then add it to the yogurt, mix and eat.
  • Options
    If you are intending to use Cannabis as a painkiller in the long-term you should at least tell your GP. Also, could you tell us what sort of pain this is for, if you feel comfortable doing that?

I'm involved in a full-contact sport and after a show I've often got aches, sprains etc and I can't really be bothered to do to an out-of-hours surgery as I'm always waiting around for hours (they save the priority appointments for more severe cases) and it's invariably a saturday night so no chemists are open, and paracetemol/cocodemol etc rarely do enough.

It's not a long-term thing, just now and then.
  • Options
    If you're getting injured to the point where you need stronger Painkillers than over the counter stuff, you should really see your GP.

Ibuprofen and Volterol might be better than Cannabis for you, as they are anti-inflammatory drugs that are useful for the swelling and inflammation associated with sports injuries. You might look into these over the counter medicines before you go diving in with the Cannabis.

To be honest this sounds like a lot of hassle for something that could easily be sorted by popping down to see your GP (or even your local chemist) and finding out if there is anything available that might help.
  • Options
    its a lot easier to use solid forms that grass by far, dope dissolves quite easily

and martin: you'd advise to put a 1/10th of an ounce into it?? :crazyeyes

a bit for a joint, maybe 2 if you're pushing it, and you'll be very stoned (unless the gear is utter rubbish)
  • Options
    I'm involved in a full-contact sport and after a show I've often got aches, sprains etc

get a good physio. believe it or not it'll do a lot more for you than weed will
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    making cannabis cookies... always a good idea :cool:

personally, i don't think there is any substitute for smoking it, but everyone to their own :)

I agree,dont get me wrong, theres nothing like rolling a nice big spliff.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    I agree,dont get me wrong, theres nothing like rolling a nice big spliff.

true :)
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    get a good physio. believe it or not it'll do a lot more for you than weed will

Thanks but I've made my decision.
  • Options
    Thanks but I've made my decision.

your choice.
  • Options
    I'd try a very small amount at first, especially if you are not used to cannabis at all, over doing it orally is not something you want to do on your first time, it can be very powerful.

As Martin pointed out you need to disolve it in some sort of fat, butter, milk something like that. Or of course you can choose the easy and nasty tasting way and just chew a tiny bit of solid, but that is nasty.

Also as Martin said for the sort of sports sprain/injury you are talking about cannabis isnt going to be ideal, but if you are going to use it I would advise using very small amounts and waiting at least an hour before re-dosing.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    As Martin pointed out you need to disolve it in some sort of fat, butter, milk something like that. Or of course you can choose the easy and nasty tasting way and just chew a tiny bit of solid, but that is nasty.

not the first time this has come up but ill just add that i wholeheartedly disagree, it works far better when you dissolve it in something first

ive tried lots of different ways several times, dissolved in a bit of oil works best!

:thumb:
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    not the first time this has come up but ill just add that i wholeheartedly disagree, it works far better when you dissolve it in something first

ive tried lots of different ways several times, dissolved in a bit of oil works best!

:thumb:

I know its not the first time it has come up, and I know you disagree. And of course with all drug use it is very subjective and very based on how one persons body reacts, but there isnt any chemical reason what so ever for it to work better or faster if it is disolved in something first.

Lets just agree to disagree I guess.