Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Children of Immigrants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was Just wondering how many people here are Children of Immigrants to whatever country you're in now and if so do you wish they'd stayed where they were or glad they came to a new Country?

.. Mine came from abroad in the 1960's - But as my aunt was saying the other day after she got back from her very first visit to Australia - she wishes they'd gone there now... cos she loves the Lifestyle and the weather and all the lovely beaches.

I've never been myself but I reckon it looks nice from what you see and hear about it.

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My mum was an immigrant - she came over from Malta.

And yes, I am pleased she did this otherwise she would never have met my dad and I would never have been born ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most of my dad's family (on his dad's side) are immigrants. Many of them are from Malta and Canada.
    Dads from Ireland. Not sure if that counts though.
    I'm the child of a child of immigrants.

My grandparents came over from Poland after WW2. And I'm glad they did, as post-war Poland was in pieces. Even today it's a pretty poor country. My fairly distant Polish cousin is almost my age, has an MA, and is working in a lipstick factory for the equivalent of 95p p/h.

I think I would have had a very different life if they'd have stayed.
    kaffrin wrote: »
    I'm the child of a child of immigrants.

Me too. I wouldn't exist if my grandparents had stayed in Czechoslovakia so obv I'm pretty pleased they came over here.

I guess it depends why someone has moved to another country, moving by choice is pretty different to being a refugee.
    And yes, I am pleased she did this otherwise she would never have met my dad and I would never have been born ;)

Well, there is also this. My dad is from Birmingham, so I think it's a fair bet that he wouldn't have met my mum!
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Well, there is also this. My dad is from Birmingham, so I think it's a fair bet that he wouldn't have met my mum!

Well you never know :p my friend, his dad went on a school trip to Germany when he was 16, met this girl and came back to England and him and the girl stayed in touch and soon after that she moved over to England and they got married! I think that's such a nice love story :p
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Dads from Ireland. Not sure if that counts though.

From what I hear there's more Irish living outside of Ireland then in it

A plague of the Irish!
    grandchild of - but thats to do with the war. My Nana was Maltese and my Granddad was Irish. They met In Malta during the war, and were posted various places but eventually settled here.
    I dont think that really counts though so im not sure why I answered.

Around 80 million people around the world have Irish heritage. There was a great Irish diaspora all the way up to the early 90's.
    Am so so glad that I was born here and not my mother's country of birth!
    katralla wrote: »
    Am so so glad that I was born here and not my mother's country of birth!

Wales?
    I was Just wondering how many people here are Children of Immigrants to whatever country you're in now and if so do you wish they'd stayed where they were or glad they came to a new Country?

.. Mine came from abroad in the 1960's - But as my aunt was saying the other day after she got back from her very first visit to Australia - she wishes they'd gone there now... cos she loves the Lifestyle and the weather and all the lovely beaches.

I've never been myself but I reckon it looks nice from what you see and hear about it.

Where are your parents from then? :)
    Grandchild of immigrants from Ireland. Don't know if that counts though. Sadly nothing more exotic.
    My dads side has been here since the civil war, not too sure about my moms though. But in the end, over here we're almost all immigrants over here ;)
    All of my family in the generation above mine, i.e. mum, dad, uncles and aunts are all immigrants, came over in 70's and 80's

I would much rather be here than in China, speaking of which I might have well been dead by now seeing as I had appendicitis which exploded when I was younger, I don't think my chances with the Chinese medical services would have been that high.
    I don't think I would have rated my younger sister's chances at being around that highly either for obvious reasons :p
    Nah my parents are both English. As are my grandparents. As were their grandparents. See where i'm going with this...
    I'm the child of parents who come over from Italy and Sicily. I'm glad to be living here of the opportunities I've had, but with everything, there are good points and bad.
    Lacy wrote: »
    See where i'm going with this...

Yeh ya racist fuck. :angel: :lol: :thumb:
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Yeh ya racist fuck. :angel: :lol: :thumb:

Lol fuck knows where you came from :p
    my grandad was one of the jewish children who escaped to england from Germany with the Rothschild family. Changed his surname to something english (the surname i have now). his brother was gassed in a chamber.
    I have Irish and Scottish parents and I love my heritage, I especially adore my Irish roots.

My other half is Swedish and Sicilian so does that make our daughters Celtic, Scandinavian and Sicilian or does it make them...

... English? :razz: