Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Latest from the makers of Big Brother: win a kidney

A terminally-ill Dutch woman will select a recipient for one of her kidneys in the latest production from Endemol, makers of Big Brother.

The Big Donor Show will be shown in the Netherlands on Friday despite calls from the Dutch Government for it to be scrapped, according to Newspaper De Telegraaf.

Broadcaster BNN said the programme would go ahead in which a 37-year-old, named only as Lisa, would choose a recipient from one of three people with kidney problems.

BNN said the programme was designed to highlight the problems facing people needing organ transplants and was also a tribute to BNN founder Bart de Graaff, who died of kidney failure five years ago, despite several transplants.

Political critics in the Netherlands have called the show "wretched" and unethical, news reports said.
http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2591577.ece

How low can those cunts at Endemol stoop???
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thats absolutely shocking.
  • Options
    Hmm don't really have any strong opinions either way on this one. I'm not sure how tasteful any TV programme can be on this subject, but all this women is doing is choosing who she donates her kidney too, rather than having no choice. Also if it raises the awareness of those needing kidney transplants, then I don't really have an issue with it.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how tasteful any TV programme can be on this subject, but all this women is doing is choosing who she donates her kidney too, rather than having no choice. Also if it raises the awareness of those needing kidney transplants, then I don't really have an issue with it.

I'd agree its not a clear cut thing; however what I do see a problem with is the specticle of suffering that this will involve. Yes it will raise awareness but will primarily be based on morbid curiosity, and a sanitisation of suffering.
  • Options
    I think this is ABSOLUTELY hideous.
    Words fail me.
  • Options
    Of course Endemol would say it's good because it raises awareness.

And I'm sure that was the main considering for their decision to go ahead with such programme.

It is nauseating IMO.
  • Options
    But if you ignore the fact that this is a TV show, then most people wouldn't have a problem with someone who was dying choosing who they wanted to donate their kidney to.

The issue seems to be about becuase this is being made into a TV programme. Ultimately though it is only being made into a TV show because there is a demand from people who want to watch it. If people stop watching it you will see it end quickly. Programmes like this will only air if people tune in.
  • Options
    I have a problem with donors choosing who should get their organs in the first place. But to involve the public and subject it to public votes and debate (even if it is the donor who gets to decide) is repulsive, not to mention open to emotional manipulation by the "contestants".
  • Options
    "Who lives? You decide!"
  • Options
    "Who lives? You decide!"

I know i shouldn't laugh, but couldn't help it :lol:

It would be harsh, if they use that catchphrase for the series
  • Options
    Wow, that's sick.

edit: But they've got us talking about it, so eitherway it's money for them :(
  • Options
    I was going to post about this.

TBH, I think this is going too far. I think it's wrong that the public choose who out of strangers gets someone's kidney.
  • Options
    what do they have to do stupid household tasks to see how wins?...either way i think its sick to have a contest to see who WINS a kidney!
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Also if it raises the awareness of those needing kidney transplants, then I don't really have an issue with it.

They said something about this on Five news earlier. Fair enough, it might raise awareness, but it really isn't a good way to go about it, imo.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    They said something about this on Five news earlier. Fair enough, it might raise awareness, but it really isn't a good way to go about it, imo.

We are discussing it now in a completely different country to where this programme is aired. Newspaper and TV stations around the world are reporting this story and in the process creating massive global awareness. You simply cant buy this much global publicity, sounds like a pretty good way to raise awareness really.
  • Options
    The sad thing is, I'm not actually surprised. I mean, we live in a world where the human body is a commodity and is sold for many of it's services and parts. A company like Endemol would have taken it a step further sooner or later :(
  • Options
    TV kidney competition was a hoax

The 'contestants' were all in genuine need of a kidney
    A Dutch TV contest which purported to show a dying woman choose a patient to receive her kidneys was a hoax.
    The "donor" in the show was in fact an actress - though the three people vying for an organ were real patients in need of a kidney transplant.

The three knew that The Big Donor Show, which aired on Friday, was not real. The producers say it was made to highlight the shortage of Dutch donors.

Before the hoax was revealed, the show had attracted widespread criticism.

"We are not giving away a kidney here, that is going too far even for us," presenter Patrick Lodiers said at the moment when the fake donor was apparently about to reveal her choice of patient.

The 37-year-old "donor", identified only as Lisa, was to make her choice based on the contestants' history and profile, and conversation with their family and friends.

Earlier, Lisa had said that it felt like playing God. "Think of it as playing Santa Claus," replied the presenter.

'No losers'

Viewers were invited to send in their advice by text message during the 80-minute show.

Send us your comments
    "We have only done this cry for help because we want to solve a problem that shouldn't be a problem," a producer told a news conference after the show.

Dutch Education Minister Ronald Plasterk hailed the show as a "fantastic stunt".

Caroline Klingers, a kidney patient who was watching the programme at a treatment centre in the town of Bussum, also praised it.

"It's good for the publicity and there are no losers," she said.

Earlier in the week Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende had criticised the programme, saying it could damage the reputation of the Netherlands.

The were calls from lawmakers to ban the show and Dutch embassies received complaints about it.

But Mr Lodiers said it was "reality that was shocking" because about 200 people die each year while waiting for a kidney in the Netherlands, and the average waiting time is more than four years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6714063.stm

Looks like we all fell for this one ;)

I suppose the point remains that nobody was willing to question the authenticity of the stunt, it was so plausible considering the current trend in distasteful/morally questionable reality TV.