Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Neighbours

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw that. I really don't want ITV or Five to get hold of it. ITV will fuck it up like everything else they get their hands on.

Still ITV are offering to pay £20m for Neighbours so I would expect to see it on ITV next year.

Will be strange seeing Neighbours with an ad break in it though :D
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    In australia, there's 2 ad breaks in an episode of Neighbours!

and the aussies hate the show..
    :( Catching Neighbours at 1.40 or 5.35 is like a daily, religious thing for me and has been for so long. Can't imagine it with an ad-break and I bet if the BBC lost it there wouldn't be a smooth transfer to ITV or Five, no doubt we'd miss a load of episodes or something or it would go off the air for ages. (Although, here's a thought...if the new Neighbours episodes were on ITV maybe the BBC could show the old episodes to bring back some memories!) Anyway write to the BBC and ask them to keep Neighbours.
    Nooooooooooooooo.... I can't get Five.

Hope they don't move it. :(

Although I've been missing loads lately. :grump: I wish they'd show it later in the evening when I'm actually home.
    The Beeb are planning to do a first look neighbours on BBC3 like Channel 4 do with Hollyoaks (about August 07). I dont think it will go to Channel 5, its ITV who are willing to pay whatever it take to get neighbours.

:thumb:
    I've not seen it since mid 2003 when Dionne died, since I got something called a job.

TBH it seems like a publicity stunt. Loads of people will be outraged and write into the BBC, who'll use that as evidence and try to lower the price they pay for it.
    I dont give a shit. :thumb: I seriously dont understand why so many of my friends are into it so badly. It seems to be a stereotypical student thing.
    keep neighbours on one!
    hollyoaks > neighbours anyway, scrap the thing and send it back to Austrailia
    In australia, there's 2 ad breaks in an episode of Neighbours!

and the aussies hate the show..

I thought also over there it's only on 3 times a week or is that Home & Away?

I think Neighbours got better when Harrold came back!!
    I read, think it was the guardian website, maybe, that the distrubution company of neighbours has upped thier charges for each epsiode of the show, from 20,000 to 75,000!! The BBC really want to keep it but dont want to pay the huge amount of money for it.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    no thats not good...I know when and where it is on.

So much so, I used to take my pill at that time coz it is a time I remember (writing that out, makes me realise how pathetic that is!)

But noooo, keep it on one!
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Acccrding to the http://www.perfectblend.net/
    Last week saw rumours that the BBC was facing stiff competition for the contract to show Neighbours and those rumours seem to be growing stronger with each day that passes.

Media website Broadcast has reported that FremantleMedia, who make the show, have turned down the BBC's offer, thought to be around £70,000 an episode (an increase of £45,000 on what they currently pay). Last week, they failed to come to an agreement with ITV, who were said to be offering £80,000 an episode, and it is now unclear where Neighbours is going to end up.

With reports that the show is set to screen on BBC Three in the coming months, and a new series of Neighbours Revealed in post-production, it seems unlikely that Neighbours' current home will simply give up on the negotiations, but BBC director of acquisitions George McGhee was reported to have said that "if a deal is not reached in the very, very near future, we will withdraw the money and move it elsewhere. We quite possibly will move it by the end of this week."
    :wave:

http://www.perfectblend.net/
    Maybe they should take a tip from Home and Away and stick where they are. It'd be suicide for them in the UK to move channels imo. I'd be interested to know who's the bigger audience actually, Australia or the UK.
    At times in it's history, more people have watched it in the UK then the entire population of Australia. Indeed, if it wasn't for the UK audience, i doubt the show would survive.

Now i'll be the first to admit neighbours has gone down hill recently. There has been a wealth of new characters very very shadily written into it, while the old characters have gradually dissipated, be it through also bad storylines, or unfortunate death. Nonetheless, this is no reason to write off the show. There are some classic things going on recently, Stefan Dennis (Paul Robinson) and Alan Fletcher (Karl Kennedy) are on amazing form recently, and it's great to know that we can rely on the old favourites for our pre-meal enterntainment. As a result of this, i urge everyone who reads this post to email the BBC, the Prime Minister, Fremantle Media, even Reg Grundy, anything to stop this from getting on ITV, which is, without question the worst broadcaster filling the airspace today.

Neighbours has been a very important part of my life for 13 years now, and i don't think i'm exagerrating when i say i would be heartbroken if it moved from the BBC. However, like a euthaniasic old man, i would rather see the show disappear from the screen completely then end up on Channel 5 or ITV.

Points Of View: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/
    Tony Blair: http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/page821.asp
    Australian Prime Minister John Howard: http://www.pm.gov.au/contact/index.cfm
    Freemantle Media: http://www.fremantlemedia.com/contact
    Without the UK Viewers I doubt there would be a Neighbours - They'd certainly be no Kylie Minouge in the form we know her if Neighbours hadn't been shown in the UK before.

Even at 3 times what they pay now - £75,000 per episode is a bargain from the BBC's point of view - costs a lot more then that to make the programme yourself.

It makes very little difference to me if Neighbours is on BBC1, ITV or Ch5 cos it's prerecorded on Sky Plus for me anyway - would still prefer it on BBC1 though without commericals.
    The aussies have blatantly realised that it's a more lucrative market in the UK then it is in Australia so of course they're gonna milk it for all it's worth.

Remember what happened to Home and Away? By the time they brought that back i'd given up. They're gonna ruin Neighbours for me tooooo :crying:
    Someone emailed the BBC about it and this was their reply
    Thank you for your e-mail regarding the future of 'Neighbours' on the BBC.

Whilst we do hope that the programme will remain with the BBC, it has to come at the right price in order to offer value for money for the Licence Fee payer.

We are unable to comment any further at this stage as contractual negotiations are still ongoing and confidential.

Please be assured that you feelings on this matter have been registered and will included on our daily audience feedback log which is made available to senior BBC management.

Once again thank you for taking the time to contact us with you enquiry and for your interest in the BBC.

Regards

Fiona
    BBC Information
    Since when did the BBC care about the License Fee payer.
    :(

It would just be wrongwrongwrong with adverts on a channel like ITV. I think it might be the end of me watching.
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I've not seen it since mid 2003 when Dionne died, since I got something called a job.

Lies, you stopped watching when the blonde with big tits got written out...
    Has to be the cheesiest show known to man! Fuck I really do despise it but it's compulsive viewing in uni! :D
    i can't believe it. it can't go! i cant get channel 5! and i dont want adverts! although i do have some really good spoilers. it needs to stay for at least that!
    Izzy/Susan & Karl, have they clapped eyes on each other yet? If they have I've missed it, LOL.

Damn that was sad. Stingray seemed so happy right before he died too. Very well written and superb acting from Stingray in his video he made for Kerry. They couldn't have picked a better actor for that part. Hopefully he'll go on to do more work. -

Well done Neighbours Producers - Ben and Luke! :)