Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Iraq Bottom of List of most peaceful nations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
From the Beeb

Iraq is the least peaceful country in the world, according to the Economic Intelligence Unit. This index is based on both internal factors (such as Crime, violence against the person, civil unrest and prison population) and also external factors (such as arms sales, participation in war etc.).

Apparently Norway is the most pleasant peaceful place to live; between the effective and open sexual health policies, the prominence at the top of the Happiest nations list and the UNICEF happiest children list, Scandinavia is starting to sound like paradise.

Comments

• Options
    Scandinavia is starting to sound like paradise.

The high suicide rate might suggest otherwise though
  • Options
    Not surprised about Iraq. I'm sure it took some highly paid boffin months to work that out though.

I wouldn't mind living in Scandinavia though. Sweden would be my choice; I have never seen an ugly Swedish woman :p . And they have a real good standard of living.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Not surprised about Iraq. I'm sure it took some highly paid boffin months to work that out though.

My thoughts entirely. I wonder where they get their funding from; The Ministry of Stating the Fucking Obvious?
  • Options
    I wonder where they get their funding from; The Ministry of Stating the Fucking Obvious?

:lol:

I fear your right
  • Options

and the price of beer ;)
  • Options
    Where's Somalia? Is that even officially recognised as a country any more? You'd think that'd be at or near the top. Oh, and Afghanistan.
  • Options

WTF?

Give me some statistics. Preferably in realation to neighbouring countries and general identifiable trends.

Or are you still holding to cliched bullshit that a sixth form student could disprove? I hope not, for your "reputation."

I'm waiting on the edge of my seat.
  • Options
    Europe in general has a high suicide rate when compared with the UK.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Europe in general has a high suicide rate when compared with the UK.

That's because the British love being miserable. They love nothing more than a good moan about how shit everything is. Everyone else just kills themselves.
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »
    WTF?

Give me some statistics. Preferably in realation to neighbouring countries and general identifiable trends.

Or are you still holding to cliched bullshit that a sixth form student could disprove? I hope not, for your "reputation."

Scandanavian countires do have a higher suicide rates. A lot of people put it down to the lack of sunlight. I dunno though. Looking on google there are a lot of papers discussing the causes behind it but I don't know how to read them, I just get the abstract.

World Health Organisation

If you see, the northern countries do have a high-ish suicide rate. Spain, Italy and Greece all have low suicide rates. Iceland is the highest I think. But France and Germany are above the scandanavian countries, so who knows.
  • Options
    Well the quality of life is a lot higher in those countries so lack of sunlight sounds very plausible to me. They certainly aren't going to be committing suicide over fortnightly rubbish collections, laughable rail networks or deficient health services, because they don't suffer from such problems.
  • Options
    As to Somalia - I'm guessing it wasn't included - only 121 countries out of 194 are in the list, so Iraq would probably not be at the very, very bottom if they were all included. And as if to highlight how dangerous Somalia still is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/6472007.stm
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Well the quality of life is a lot higher in those countries so lack of sunlight sounds very plausible to me.

Mind you if my day involved waking up in darkness being dragged round Ikea on a busy Saturday afternoon and not seeing sunlight all day, I think I would wanna end it all :D
  • Options
    Well the quality of life is a lot higher in those countries so lack of sunlight sounds very plausible to me. They certainly aren't going to be committing suicide over fortnightly rubbish collections, laughable rail networks or deficient health services, because they don't suffer from such problems.

Generally people don't commit suicide because the train is late...
  • Options
    My mate might be laid off his job working at a call centre for the complaints department of something or other, just for the summer. It's basically entirely down to the fact that more people complain in the winter when it's cold, dark and miserable. It all adds up. :p
  • Options
    Generally people don't commit suicide because the train is late...
    4 per week on average across the railway network actually...

[/poor taste joke]
  • Options
    4 per week on average actually...

And that's just passengers of South West Trains :thumb:
  • Options
    The highest rate of suicides are in former soviet union countries.

I guess capitalism isn't to everyone's liking then. :D
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »
    WTF?

Hopefully those provided elsewhere in this thread will answer your question, be careful not to fall off the seat.

I'm not suggesting that they are the highest rates in the world, but they are certainly higher than the UK...
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    That's because the British love being miserable. They love nothing more than a good moan about how shit everything is. Everyone else just kills themselves.

Haha :heart:

I'm not remotely surprised about Iraq - I wouldn't imagine many people are. The Iraqi students my boyfriend was teaching gave utterly dreadful, terrifying accounts of life there. Without exception. I am in total agreement with whoever said Scandinavia is like paradise but then I am slightly biased. It actually does feel really... peaceful when you're there, though.

We're off to Sweden in July to join the beautiful, happy, healthy, ethical, environmentally-aware, energy-efficient, all-round-fabulous and superior lot... so hopefully I won't be on the edge of a building too quickly. I'm quite surprised at the assertion that Scandinavia has a high suicide rate though I don't know anything solid to the contrary. From what my other half and his family have told me of school days etc they're very aware there of intergrating the most "at risk" sociological group - young men. But obviously awareness doesn't always stop people acting on their free will.

I KNEW the first thing said would be relating to seasons/light, it makes sense in a way and I'm sure it factors in. But while Scandinavia has winters where the nights are unending it also had summers where the sun never sets. Also, that said, the majority of Sweden and Norway don't have those extremes of unending night in Winter and the parts that do are very sparsely populated. It's a lot more moderate in the more densely-populated South. Anyway, off topic...

It's all down to perceptions of peacefulness and ideals. I find British society a tad more depressing than dark nights :D
  • Options
    Yea Briggi, I was just saying it seemed to be a general suggestion from where I've read about it or discussed it before. It's plausible - with less sunlight being related to higher rates of depression. But yea :p

To be honest though I'd rather live in Iraq than Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »

Oh how i wish i saw this yesterday, POTW material without a doubt.

So true it's depressing, which is nice :)