Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what do u pay each month?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i want to move in with my boyfriend but we need to find how much we need to pay each month on top of rent

so can anyone tell me what we would have to pay?

i know its gas, electric, water, counsil tax...but how much do you pay for each one?

Comments

• Options
    That's like asking how long is a bit of a string tbh. It all depends on the size of accommodation and how much gas, electric and water you use. For the council tax costs your best bet would be to have a look on your local council's website. It will show you the different bands and the rates for them.
  • Options
    I rent a room in a shared house in South London (well Greater London really) and I pay £400 a month rent - all bills expect the phone included.

Shared house is going to be the cheapest option and smaller properties (eg studio flats) often have some bills included in the rent so thats something to look out for.

I would say that the maximum I spend a month not including rent is £200 - unless Im buying something big/expensive but Im a tight bastard :o

Gas is cheaper than electric so places with gas central heating will probably be a bit cheaper than places with leccy heating/storage heaters.
  • Options
    We have a 2 bed flat.

Electric - £35 (although we are with really expensive people)
    Gas - £11 (very cheap supplier)
    Water - £26
    Council tax - £90

Last year in a similar sized 2 bed flat I was paying
    Electric -£28
    Gas - £20
    Water - £24
    Council tax - dunno both students

You've then got phone line, broadband, sky(?), mobiles, content insurance.
  • Options
    When I lived in my house (2 bed semi, shared by 2 people) we paid per month:

Council tax: £80 over 10 months (Leeds band A)
    Gas & electric together: £40ish dependent on use.
    Water: £12
    Insurance: £20 (but this was for buildings and contents, if you're renting you'd only need contents)
    TV licence: £12
    Land line: £10
    Internet: £15

You should always allow for being able to afford a little bit extra every month though, cause guaranteed some bill or another will pop up when you're least able to pay it. Living is an expensive business!
  • Options
    I pretty much asked the same thing a while back. This thread may help you...

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=113445