Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Recommend a book for me please?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've decided to take up reading (again) instead of sitting around watching TV and being on here all day.

Currently, I'm reading Sandra Greogyr's autobiography 'Forget You Had A Daughter'. Does anyone know of any similar books please?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was looking for this for you, because I'm currently half way through the TV series, but I can't find an English translation of it yet. If you can find it, it's a brilliant story. It's basically the diary of a girl who has a incurable, terminal disease. If it comes out in English, I'd buy it (though I do have the TV series and the film).

Oh, and make sure thr translator can actually speak English, because I'm spending most of the series trying to work out what the subtitles are saying. :lol:
    Thanks. I couldn't find it on Amazon though - which I'm looking at because I have a gift voucher to spend on there.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    "Uncle Petros and Goldbach's conjecture". Difficult title, but the book is great.
    Also, "Sophie's world".
    For a bit of strange events, "The Mothman prophecies".

None of them is an autobiography, but the first one is written like one (more like two, actually) and the third is supposed to be real events.
    once in a house on fire by andrea ashworth <- i dont usually dig 'oh woe my terrible past' kinda books but i really admired her by the end, it seemed really honest.
    kitchen by banana yoshimoto <- strange but uplifting
    I have no idea what the book you're reading is about, but I would recommend any Jodi Picoult book to anyone that reads. I've just finished Nineteen Minutes, and loved it. Other ace ones are Plain Truth, The Pact, Salem Falls, and My Sister's Keeper.

Might not be what you're looking for but always worth a shot :)
    Nikki* wrote: »
    I have no idea what the book you're reading is about, a

Basically a women went to Thailand with a friend of hers and she decided that she liked it so much that she'd stay there and he decided after a few weeks, he wanted to go home. She found somewhere to live and got a job teaching English in a local school. After a few years, she became really ill, couldn't work and therefore had no money. She met a man who suggested drug smuggling and he's give her a grand for doing so. He told her that everything would be alright and there would be no customs at the airport. They got to the airport and got searched. they got called into a room and were then taken away to a prison and later went on trial. The prison she went to was filthy and at some point, she shared prison with murders and a cannibal. She got sent home to the UK and got put into a maximum sercurity prison, again with murders and cannibals and then got released about 3 years later.