Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

going a performance degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
my singing teacher believes that i'm more than capable of getting on to a performance degree, which is fantastic...

and i'd love to do a performance degree, but a, i'm a bit scared because i think people will just laugh at me, and b, is it worth it's salt?

this would be a popular music degree rather than classical, i couldn't put up with 3 years of singing in latin...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If it's what you want to do and you think you'll enjoy it - then go for it. I think it's a fantastic thing to do, not sure I would have the confidence to even try. Good for you... Are you interested in a performance career then?
  • Options
    orginally that what i have always wanted to do, but i didn't think i was go enough and i didn't think it would really get me anywhere in the long run...it's not a particularly safe career, but i'm not sure how safe sound engineering is either
  • Options
    Have you had a look at any careers relating to sound enigneering yet?

Can't remember the name of the site (might remember it later) but there's a list somewhere of the jobs you can do if you have a certain degree.
  • Options
    apart from being a sound engineer? there are many areas i could work in as a sound engineer, TV, theatre, radio, location, animation, ect...i know about that lot...

In my dreams i'd have a course that included performance, tech, music business and music sociology...but i would be hard pushed to find one...
  • Options
    Have you looked into the various performance degrees around? You may well find that some of them entail quite a lot of the practical side too.
  • Options
    In my dreams i'd have a course that included performance, tech, music business and music sociology...but i would be hard pushed to find one...

why? in any degree in the uk you usually have a choice of modules you can take in similar areas to what you're studying in addition to your main which makes your degree
  • Options
    im doing a classical performance degree next year. The degree isnt actually worth much in itself, but the tuition is the most important thing. Because when I go for auditions for orchestras after ive finished music college, they will look at how I play, not my qualifications. I dont know if it is the same for popular music. I would suggest its harder to get into a career in popular music as more people do it so its harder competition. And thats a bit narrow minded of you to think that classical singing is just latin.
  • Options
    i know it's not just latin, its much more than that, i was classicaly trained for 3 years, but i've decided that it really isn't for me...

ummm i shall have to re-assess my options