Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hit by a lorry!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On the way home from work, me and three people from my work were crossing this busy road, and we were sort of in the middle of it. Two of them nipped in front of this lorry and made it across and I tried to do the same but I was too late and the other girl I was with pulled me back. One second later and it'd have been farewell, so long, auf wiedershen, goodbye, goodnight, game over. Seriously, very close. Thought it was funny just after it happened, but I was proper shaking when I got in the house.

Didn't get away unscathed though, I managed to hit my arm off the side of the lorry/cabin, and because it was going so fast it now hurts like a fucker. It's not broken I don't think, but there's gonna be a bruise forming there soon I reckon on the bit between my wrist and my elbow (forearm?) and it hurts like a fucker to move it even just a bit. Thankfully it's the left one, but it's really fucking sore.

Flatmate thinks I should go to A&E (even though he's kindly decided to bugger off out for the night) cause it could clot or something but the thought of waiting 7 hours just to get told to take it easy for the next couple of days makes me want to poke my eyes out.

So is it a case of NHS 24, or do you think I should nip off to the hospital straight away?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :eek:

sounds like a close shave, glad you're alright.

i'd get it checked out just to be safe.
    You could've done anything to it. I would personally go to A&E.
    I'd just nip, just to be sure. NHS direct will probs tell you to go to A and E anyways.
    damn sounds like a lucky escape mate, guess you owe that girl a drink eh?
    f**k!!! :( - you had a lucky escape there, mate
    yep. best bet is to get yourself down a+e to get it checked out :yes:
    The Green Cross Code

The Green Cross Code itself is a short step-by-step procedure designed to enable pedestrians to cross streets safely. While the Code has undergone several changes over the years, the basic tenets ("Stop, Look, Listen, Think" or "Stop Look Listen Live".) have remained more or less the same. The 2005 version of the Green Cross Code reads as follows:

1. THINK FIRST. Find the safest place to cross, then stop.

2. STOP. Stand on the pavement near the kerb.

3. USE YOUR EYES AND EARS. Look all around for traffic, and listen.

4. WAIT UNTIL IT'S SAFE TO CROSS. If traffic is coming, let it pass.

5. LOOK AND LISTEN. When it's safe, walk straight across the road.

6. ARRIVE ALIVE. Keep looking and listening for traffic while you cross.

And SPLINK.
    Yeah definetley getting her a drink, if it wasn't for her then I'd be a pancake - simple as.

It's still really sore, but I've got an assesment at work tomorrow which I can't miss and need to be fresh for so A&E is just gonna have to wait. I'll maybe go after work tomorrow :yes:
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Yeah definetley getting her a drink, if it wasn't for her then I'd be a pancake - simple as.

Probably so, my cousin got that as his 18th birthday present this year, stupid boy.

It's still really sore, but I've got an assesment at work tomorrow which I can't miss and need to be fresh for so A&E is just gonna have to wait. I'll maybe go after work tomorrow :yes:

Your health is more imprtant than work.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Your health is more imprtant than work.

I'll be alright, if it was the wanking arm it'd be a different story though :cool:
    I'll be alright, if it was the wanking arm it'd be a different story though :cool:

You would be suing for damages :p
    In my experience, you would KNOW if you had damaged something.

I would just suck it up and get on with it tbh..
    How's it today? I'm sure you'll be fine but if it's any worse and if you're having mobility problems with it then get it looked at when you can.

My ex's best mate was killed in a similar accident when they were on holiday, it really is one of those split second of difference things. Glad you're ok :)
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Bloody hell babes, I am glad you are ok! - except your arm of course!
    I think if it is still playing you up then get it checked out. Do you have a walk - in centre round by you, cause they are much better, no appt needed, but still see someone who knows what theyre doing in a much shorter time than you would have at a and e!
    keep smiling sweetie pie :)
    briggi wrote: »
    How's it today?

Still quite stiff, but a nice yellow bruise seems to be coming together and it's not quite as sore as it was yesterday. Should be fine now I think.

Had a good laugh about it at work today though, which is the best way. Worked out alright actually, I'm now getting a couple of dolly birds not letting go of my hand till I've crossed that deathtrap prentending to be a road now :thumb:
    Arnica gel will help bring out the bruise.

ETA: Glad you're alright.
    Sod the arm, I'd get my eyes tested....
    :O
    glad you're ok
    Sod the arm, I'd get my eyes tested....

me too.

not sure how you can think oh there's enough time when it's actually right next to you.. oh well. glad you're okay.
    I think I maybe thought the two people in front of me who managed to cross the road were closer to me than they actually were and were walking quite slowly, and I think I thought about it for a split second too long, then just went for it - moment of madness or something.

It was a really really busy road and it's just a matter of nipping across the road when there was a spare few seconds in between vehicles.
    well evidently there wasn't a few seconds! :p

poor lorry driver, bet he shat his pants.
    im really glad ur okay bri
    i nearly got scrubbed by a van a few months back :( scary business!
    Something similar happened in 1995: I was stood outside my step-dad's parked car with my back to it. The step-dad pulled out - one wheel running ½-inch over the back of my trainers. It didn't hurt though. I just felt my trainers squeeze very tightly for 1 second. Close one!