Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Contraceptive Injection

I went for a chat at the family planning clinic yesterday and came to the conclusion that the injection is going to be the next thing for me to try. So two questions:

1) What has general experience of it been for people? I've had a little look on past threads but thought I might as well ask seeing as I was starting a thread anyway.

2) Does it hurt when they stick the needle in your bum? :blush: Thats my main question, seeing as they offered to do it there and then but I wimped out due to needle concerns.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1)When I had it, I hated it because of how it affected me (weight gain, spots, felt sick all the time and no periods at all which freaked me out and didnt like), and also how long it took to get out of my system (almost a year from my last injection.
    But it works- can't knock that!

2) Yeah, its like a normal injection really, but your bum is meatier than your arm so it hurts a little less- well it did for me..
    1) When I first got it I broke out in some spots and felt a little unwell but that has settled and it is fine now. A little odd not having periods. Oh and I spotted for like the first 6 weeks.

2) Did not hurt really. Just a sharp pain for a second. Did not really hurt afterwards
    Thanks ladies :)

The other question I had which I forgot to put in the first post - has anyone ever gone on to it after being on the progesterone only pill? The lady at the clinic said I would be unlikely to get any side effects as I'm already having the progesterone on the mini pill, I'm just el rubbish at remembering it/throwing up after I've taken it.
    Acrobat wrote: »
    2) Does it hurt when they stick the needle in your bum?

not as much as it does if they stick it in your arm. i'm serious if you are going to get it done do NOT have it done in your arm, having it stuck in your arse won't hurt nearly as much - i guarantee!