Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Failing a module

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well basically... I have an exam tomorrow worth 60% of my module mark, but I'm gonna fail it. My essay was Ok though, maybe it'll pull the grade up a bit.

A few things have gone a bit ballsy for me recently and I just cannot concentrate. It is at 3pm tomorrow and I've barely started revising.

So... How well do you have to do to get a 40%?

If you fail, can you resit exams in the summer?

Basically, I can't afford to fail this year financially and if I were to fail uni, I'd probably top myself.

Please help,

Ty.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How much is the module worth? We could get away with failing one module at the most each year in my course. To be honest, if youve done ok in your coursework then you shouldnt need to get too much more in your final exam. Just try and stay calm. thinking that youve failed before youve sat it isn't going to make it any easier (easier said than done i know). You could also resit in the first and second years of my degree course , so you still had a second chance..unfortunetely it doesnt stretch to my finals :-(
    Namaste wrote: »

So... How well do you have to do to get a 40%?

You have to get about 4 out of every 10 questions correct :p

Seriously though a 40% mark isn't that hard to achieve with no revision. You can write the basics around most questions and come out with 40%. If you in a pickle, try revising some general questions that are likely to come up. It may help you grab them few extra marks.

You should be able to resit your exams (usually late Aug early Sept) at university. Although this depends what year you are in.

Its worth bearing in mind you can still pass an exam with less than 40% if you lecturer decides to give you a pass with compensation. Worth speaking to a lecturer about, and letting them know why you have been having problems.

Good luck though :thumb:
    FFS it just won't register in my brain (same as I can't follow fiction books because I find it hard to sequence stories).

I am gonna fail.
    1. if you fail you can resit in the summer.
    2. you are also allowed to carry over 20 credits to the next year, meaning if you are a full time student you can take 140 credits instead of the normal 120 credits.
    3. tbh its pretty easy to get 40% (pass) mark, unless of course you really do not know anything at all about your subject.
    4. if there are genuine problems why you haven't done so well with your revision, you could think about applying for extenuating circumstances e.g. if you've been ill, your house burned to the ground - proper serious problems that is :)
    5. you could try cramming in some revision NOW!
    well similarly to you.. i had an exam worth 40% which i left due to being unwell and was unable to write more than a few lines. i haven't done well enough in the other 60% of the unit (i got about a 53 average for two pieces of work) to have passed the whole unit. i was told that if i didn't re-sit the exam that it's extremely likely that i would drop a degree classification.
    i got about a 53 average for two pieces of work) to have passed the whole unit. i was told that if i didn't re-sit the exam that it's extremely likely that i would drop a degree classification.

but even if you did re-sit surely your grade would be capped at a 'pass'
    Namaste wrote: »
    Well basically... I have an exam tomorrow worth 60% of my module mark, but I'm gonna fail it. My essay was Ok though, maybe it'll pull the grade up a bit.
    Assuming you got 65% in your coursework, you need to get 23.4% in your exam (or just under a quarter)
    This also assumes you don't need to pass both your exam and course work separately
    otter wrote: »
    but even if you did re-sit surely your grade would be capped at a 'pass'

no i have extenuating circumstances.

but to be honest i can't see myself doing much better than that anyway.
    Calvin wrote: »
    You have to get about 4 out of every 10 questions correct :p

Seriously though a 40% mark isn't that hard to achieve with no revision. You can write the basics around most questions and come out with 40%.
    :

If you cannot achieve 4 out of 10 marks in each of the questions I don't think you deserve to pass quite honestly. Make sure you nail in some last minute revision, look at past exam papers and see what you need to have understanding in, nail some of the key areas.

Best of luck:thumb: