Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Clothes are getting bigger and bigger!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They really fucking are and it's annoying. I have spent days looking for a dress to wear to my Bro's wedding on Saturday, and eventually found a size 4, yeah, you read that right, a size four dress in a little boutique. But, I know I'm not changing size coz I've had some clothes for years. It's the shops I tell ye, the shops are making their clothes bigger and bigger. Fucking FUCKS me off.

/rant

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I never buy by size cause I shop on the highstreet and sizes vary hugely. Just try stuff on and buy whatever size fits you :)
    I hate it when either for myself or my girlfriend we find something we like, look for something in our sizes and nope, it's only left in fat bastard sizes.

They say shops give out the wrong impression by not stocking bigger sizes, only selling things in size 6's (and that some how makes all these vunerable young girls eat dust for months :rolleyes: ) Yet when she finds a dress she's lucky if she can find it in anything below a size 16, nevermind in an 8 or 10.

(And no, we aren't walking around the maternity sections...)
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    I hate it when either for myself or my girlfriend we find something we like, look for something in our sizes and nope, it's only left in fat bastard sizes

OMG My feeling exactly, I was looking at some things in Primark and I was looking for an 8 or 10 and it is size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16 . . . . .

Drive me mad!
    Is size 16 a fat bastard then?

Most shops do vanity sizing.
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    (And no, we aren't walking around the maternity sections...)

Not all pregnant women are big all-round you know... they make size 8 maternity clothes too. ;)

Pisses me off how you can be about 4 different sizes if you go into different shops... sometimes it even varies within the same shop. I've been looking forward to the day that I'm a normal size 10 (at the moment I'm a size 8), but as size 8s keep getting bigger, I guess I'll just be staying 'the same size'. :rolleyes:
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    OMG My feeling exactly, I was looking at some things in Primark and I was looking for an 8 or 10 and it is size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16, size 16 . . . . .

Drive me mad!

But shhhh....

You're not allowed to say anything negative about sizes above a 14, and you're certainly not allowed to say anything positive about sizes below a 10. :banghead:

Don't you see, now YOU are directly responsible for the next young girl that has to battle an eating disorder.
    katchika wrote: »

Most shops do vanity sizing.

Na I didn't mean that, Mr Orange was the one who used the "fat bastard" phrase, it just doesnt make sense that some shops put like 10 size 8's 10 size 10's, 10 size 12's then like 200 size 14's and 16's? and all that is left by 10am is size 14s and 16s. Mabye it's just me and where I shop!
    katchika wrote: »

I wouldn't know to be honest, i guess with some shops sizing it could be more like a marque.

My girlfriends a size 8, her older sister is a 10, neither are a jangaling bag of bones, thinking about it, them going up another 3 sizes wouldn't make them a "fat bastard" no.

But the mens shops who only have my shirts in XL are either expecting a ridiculous number of 6'7" fellas, and have failed to realise that for the past 3 years everything i want has only been left over in that size and has such have over ordered yet again. Or realise a large number of blokes out there who need to be wearing a bra, and laying off the beer and curries
    It's true, they are generally getting bigger and bigger. It's only really a problem when the smallest size doesn't fit you anymore. Then they introduce size 4s, and make them the same size as their 6s used to be (which is actually the same size as an 8 anywhere else, and a 12 ten years ago!). Yes, Miss Selfridge, I am looking at you!

Anyhoo, happily there are still some shops where the sizes are fairly static. I find H&M clothes pretty small in comparison to most. Zara too (although prone to occasional wacky sizing), so tend to stick to them.

Alternatively, learn to sew, and take all your stuff in. That's what I do now, and it's a winner.
    Na I didn't mean that, Mr Orange was the one who used the "fat bastard" phrase, it just doesnt make sense that some shops put like 10 size 8's 10 size 10's, 10 size 12's then like 200 size 14's and 16's? and all that is left by 10am is size 14s and 16s. Mabye it's just me and where I shop!

How about they put 200 of each out, but gross fashion means that anyone who isn't a size 8, 10 or 12 doesn't buy it as it doesn't suit them, so thats what gets left behind?
    Acrobat wrote: »
    How about they put 200 of each out, but gross fashion means that anyone who isn't a size 8, 10 or 12 doesn't buy it as it doesn't suit them, so thats what gets left behind?

well why dont they just put more of the size 8, 10s and 12s then as surely they know they are going to sell out quicker?
    are you sure it wasnt a US size 4....which is a UK 8.

I find this as well. And I can never find stuff in my size. I usually need a 12 (sometimes a 14, sometimes a 10 but it does depend where I'm shopping) and there's never anything left in my size.:banghead:

Another thing that annoys me about sizes and stuff is that, I have a pair of pyjamas that are far too long for me and they're a 10-12, yet the ones I have in a size 14 fit properly.:banghead:
    well why dont they just put more of the size 8, 10s and 12s then as surely they know they are going to sell out quicker?

How do they know whats going to sell and what isn't until they put them out on sale?

They should. It's just all down to bad merchandising.

You notice it the most in places like Primark. They probably don't employ enough of a buying team to work out the demand for each size, so just guess, and get left with craploads of unpopular sizes.
    I have to say as someone who is both slightly chubby and heavy built I don't find that there are only big sizes by any means.

There maybe lots of 14s, or 22s but there's often not a lot between those two sizes.

New Look jeans are probably some of the worst. They come up huge!
    Acrobat wrote: »
    How do they know whats going to sell and what isn't until they put them out on sale?

but things in primark are is in the shop front for months the same item, yet by dinnertime you are guarenteed to not be able to get certain size, surely at the end of the day they notice that all the 8s 10s and 12s have gone so they wil need to put plenty out front for tomorrow.

I dunno what I am gabbling on about really, I have never worked in a shop or anything so I dont know about it all, just common sense would tell me...
    but things in primark are is in the shop front for months the same item, yet by dinnertime you are guarenteed to not be able to get certain size, surely at the end of the day they notice that all the 8s 10s and 12s have gone so they wil need to put plenty out front for tomorrow.

I dunno what I am gabbling on about really, I have never worked in a shop or anything so I dont know about it all, just common sense would tell me...

go the manchester one, only ever 8's and 10's left when i go
    I :heart: vanity sizing at the moment.
    Unfortunately Im still a fat bastard.
    I've never actually seen any size 4s. I heard they were doing it in Topshop, Miss Selfridge et al. but that must just be in London.

But yes this vanity sizing stuff is really annoying!
    At least you girls have size 6, 8, 10 whatever that kinda gives them an excuse. Try shopping for men where different designers have different ideas of what 32 inches means. I mean do they all have different rulers or something?

The one thing I can't stand though, is when different shirts from the same make in the same size are actually different sizes.
    Talking of vanity, i've started buying "Snug" fit, or "Tight", "Cosey" or "Maggot" sized condoms lately, just so i can feel all big and manly when i have to fight to get them on
    I've noticed this too- when I was thin about two years ago, I was about 15-20lbs lighter than this (and mostly muscle, not fat as now) before I could fit into a size 6. Now I fit size 4s in some shops and I know for a fact I am bigger not smaller than I used to be. Most frustrating.

Gripe No. 2- Shops make trousers, particularly jeans for people shaped the exact opposite of me. I have a small waist and a bum and big thighs. I am sure I am not the only one. Yet shops have decided that women have skinner legs and bigger waists. Nothing fits! Argh!

End of rant. Phew.
    I think the last store I went in had opposite vanity sizing [thats my story :angel: ]

I think they are making pants shorter though, even the longs make me look like Steve Urkle lately.
    I've been the same size for years, and even now with the 'vanity sizing' I'm still the same size in all shops I go to...
    Mila wrote: »
    Gripe No. 2- Shops make trousers, particularly jeans for people shaped the exact opposite of me. I have a small waist and a bum and big thighs. I am sure I am not the only one. Yet shops have decided that women have skinner legs and bigger waists. Nothing fits! Argh!

End of rant. Phew.
    Haha, me too. I have a smaller waist than legs/bum and always get that 'sticky out' piece of fabric and the back of jeans where they don't fit my waist properly. It's trés annoying.
    Mila wrote: »

This is so true, particularly of Topshop. I've got horseriders legs, so it's always a decision between get trews to fit legs, and fall off my ass, or get trews to fit the ass perfectly, but create sausage leg effect :(
    I have to say as someone who is both slightly chubby and heavy built I don't find that there are only big sizes by any means.

There maybe lots of 14s, or 22s but there's often not a lot between those two sizes.

:yes:

I hate clothes shopping, almost as much as I hate shoe shopping. I find it humiliating, I can never find anything that I would feel happy wearing, even if it does fit. I also hate the way clothes shops are so fucking hot - trying stuff on is never a good time, but making it hot just doesn't help and makes me really cross to boot.

Fortunately I have combatted the problem of not being able to find new shoes or new clothes by supergluing my trainers back together and just wearing my old clothes and looking like a tramp.
    Haha, me too. I have a smaller waist than legs/bum and always get that 'sticky out' piece of fabric and the back of jeans where they don't fit my waist properly. It's trés annoying.

me three. I try and console myself that the great British pear shape is the healthiest shape to be, but im never consoled for long when I remember it looks shit and no clothes ever fit me properly.
    Amira wrote: »
    are you sure it wasnt a US size 4....which is a UK 8.

er yus! it's a uk 4, europe 30

If anything I am slightly thicker round the waist than I was 2 yrs ago... It truely is the clothes getting bigger, though I agree with some of the suggestions above for smaller sizes.