Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Has Big Brother Gone Too Far?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6690289.stm

The Australian version of the TV programme Big Brother has come under criticism for deciding not to tell a contestant that her father had died.

Emma Cornell has been cut off from the outside world since entering the reality TV show's house a month ago.
She still does not know that her father Raymond died of cancer last week.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was fairly shocked when I read it, but to be fair, it sounds as if the family was consulted quite a bit, and apparently it's what her dad would have wanted. Wouldn't have been the way I would have gone about things had it been me, but then again, I'd have to have a gun pointed at my head before I step into the BB house, so who knows?
    Although it is worth noting that the father himself, who knew he was dying, and the rest of the family asked that she shouldn't be told...

Always worth giving your own opinion as well Diamond ;)
    Tbh, I wouldn't have gone into the BB house knowing that my dad had cancer anyway. But obviously that was her choice, and those were the terms she agreed to. Plus, if her family didn't want her to be told, then the BB bosses can't go against their wishes, really.
    Did she know her father was dying ?

'Sorry dad, won't be around for your last few weeks on earth as i'm going on a game show' :rolleyes:
    Franki wrote: »
    Tbh, I wouldn't have gone into the BB house knowing that my dad had cancer anyway.
    Excellent point, Franki. And yes, Rubberskin, she did know, according to the article. It's a sad fact that the kind of people who want to be on Big Brother - in any country - are the kind of people who will act this way. Bring back conscription, I say.
    Even though the contestants family said she shouldn't be told about her fathers death, I still think BB producers should have informed her. She might want to attend the funeral.

I know at the moment she seems to be focused on winning BB and the celebrity life after, however as 99% of past Big Bro contestants have shown the celebrity only last 15 minutes. Unfortunately she has only one chance to say goodbye and attend her fathers funeral, if she misses that she may have to live with her regrets for the rest of her life.

:thumb:
    Calvin wrote: »
    Even though the contestants family said she shouldn't be told about her fathers death, I still think BB producers should have informed her. She might want to attend the funeral.

I know at the moment she seems to be focused on winning BB and the celebrity life after, however as 99% of past Big Bro contestants have shown the celebrity only last 15 minutes. Unfortunately she has only one chance to say goodbye and attend her fathers funeral, if she misses that she may have to live with her regrets for the rest of her life.

Sadly, seeing as she didn't seem too concerned about going into the BB House in the first place I don't know if she would have cared much.

I would still have told her though- if only to see whether she would have actually considered staying in the House and missing her father's funeral.
    Calvin wrote: »

She might win BB on the sympathy vote, which would double her 15 mins to at least 30
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    When I saw the first line of this thread I was disgusted. However, after reading the article it becomes clear it is what she, her father and her family wanted.
    I wouldnt say it was bad of her to go on the show, it is ultimately her decision, and as the well known phrase goes 'people deal with things in different ways'.
    God forbid my dad will ever get cancer, but I cant tell you how I would react.
    For once, I would say BB have done something good, they have stood by the family's wishes rather than caving to public demand.
    I just hope they tell her with decency and tact, rather than on the eviction night with their aussie version of Davina.
    Tbh, I wouldn't have gone into the BB house knowing that my dad had cancer anyway. But obviously that was her choice, and those were the terms she agreed to. Plus, if her family didn't want her to be told, then the BB bosses can't go against their wishes, really.

I agree i wouldnt have gone in a would of wanted to spend as much time as possible with my dad family is way more important that any reality show or money that you could win
    who knows what kind of relationship they had, who are we to judge?
    VinylVicky wrote: »

Yeah your right but personally if i was in that position i wouldnt have gone in but like you said its up to the individual
    he'll still be dead when she gets out, should life halt because someone is dying or dead? stopping what you were doing won't alter the facts.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    VinylVicky wrote: »

I heard on the news, they hadnt seen each other for years, and they had only just got in touch with him because he knew he was dying.
    They all knew what they were signing up for !
    katralla wrote: »
    he'll still be dead when she gets out, should life halt because someone is dying or dead? stopping what you were doing won't alter the facts.

Added to that is the fact that everyone involved knew the score at the start. This whole thing is none of our damned business after we find that out...

Added to that is the fact that everyone involved knew the score at the start. This whole thing is none of our damned business after we find that out...
    Too right. We should only ever discuss things we're personally involved with, and then try to keep it down to less than ten pages.
    Uncle Joe wrote: »
    Too right. We should only ever discuss things we're personally involved with, and then try to keep it down to less than ten pages.

:p

You know what I mean.

The thread is asking if BB has gone too far. The fact that the family involved wanted their daughter to remain oblivious means that it's nothing to do with us or BB really. Let the family make their own minds up.

Of course, we could ask the question about the drive for 15 minutes of fame overtaking the things that really matter in life, like being their for your father in his last moments...
    so when shes evicted and the crowd are screaming at her.... the austrailian davina will break the news then?

wtf?
    :p

Of course, we could ask the question about the drive for 15 minutes of fame overtaking the things that really matter in life, like being their for your father in his last moments...

Well that's the thing - she's NOT an unknown trying for 15 minutes of fame - she's done several magazines shoots and TV commercials in Australia

Be interesting to see what happens when she gets out - I bet BB don't mind the xtra viewers all this will bring to their viewing figures
    The girl has already discussed it, I don't see what the problem is.
    She shouldn't have gone in the house though, she should have stayed with her dad.

I agree...whats more important though spending the last bit of time with your dying father...or going into big brother?!...what are people thinking?!:confused: