Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bra fitting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'Lo. Following on from Kate_47839248932478823's thread about bras and that, see if I want to get measured do I need to take my bra off?

I've never been measured before, my bra fitting back in the day was me going to Marks and Sparks aged 16 and my Mam handing me through different sized bras and letting her know what one fits.

I put on weight and lost it again. I used to be a 36B, but the cup size nowadays is too big it seems.

I don't mind getting my chebs out for a woman who knows what she's doing, but won't me going along and wearing a bra which doesn't fit correctly negate the process of being fitted for a correct size?

Or do I need to take it off or not? I'm sorry to be thick but I need new bras, and don't want to be aged 23, almost 24 and be completely doolally when a woman embraces me with her measuring tape.

Comments

• Options
    *Waits for the obligatory rush of bloke posters to say they'll do it*
  • Options
    You don't need to take your bra off. They do it with them on.

Although I'm inclined to agree that it might distort the measurements, particularly if you're like me and wear padded bras :o.

You can do it at home though. I know that the Next catalogue has a measuring guide in it, but there's sure to be places online.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    You don't need to take your bra off. They do it with them on.

Although I'm inclined to agree that it might distort the measurements, particularly if you're like me and wear padded bras :o.

You can do it at home though. I know that the Next catalogue has a measuring guide in it, but there's sure to be places online.

Ah haaaaaaah! I see! Merci! :D
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    *Waits for the obligatory rush of bloke posters to say they'll do it*

I'd have volunteered but "Lipsy's" already got me on retainer .. :)
  • Options
    with a bra on, stand in front of mirror and measure rib cage, making sure the tape is parallel to the ground and taught but not tight. If the number is even, add four, if it's odd then add five- that there be your back size. measure round fullest part of chebs? if number is same as thhe back size, you is a cup, one inch bigger is b, etc. you get the idea.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

Is it just me, though, or are those things just plain wrong? The last one I used told me I should be a 30B/C, and I can't imagine the number of boobs I'd appear to have if I tried to squeeze the girls into one of those!

Then again, I don't trust bra fitters either, so maybe I wouldn't listen to me :p
  • Options
    It does make a massive difference where you buy from though. My size in M&S is 2 cup sizes smaller than my La Senza one.

Either go to somewhere with a fitter, or find out how a good one should fit, the middle bit flat to your chest etc (can't remember the rest) and work it out yourself, with the guidance of a tape measure but don't use it as gospel.
  • Options
    I'd have volunteered but "Lipsy's" already got me on retainer .. :)

:o

When I went to the big Victoria Secret in New York they measured me in the middle of the store! lol There are loads of women walking round with tape measurers ready to pounce you if you so much as look at a bra. They measured me as 32C but said I should wear 34B :confused: because they only do 32C in the "sexy little bras" and I wanted an everyday one.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Is it just me, though, or are those things just plain wrong? The last one I used told me I should be a 30B/C, and I can't imagine the number of boobs I'd appear to have if I tried to squeeze the girls into one of those!

Then again, I don't trust bra fitters either, so maybe I wouldn't listen to me :p
    When I measured myself I was exactly what the fitter measured me the next day :p.
  • Options
    It depends on where you go to get fitted. Bravissimo don't believe in the whole measuring lark and look at what you're wearing, guage how wrong that is and then bring you different ones in different sizes until ya get one that fits. All bra manufacturers work to slightly different sizes and some fit better than others. Whenever I've been measured they've done it with bra's on though.

As for a well fitting bra, you should be able to pull the back so you can fit 2 fingers down it and the middle bit should fit flat to your chest.
  • Options
    I don't get the measuring with a bra already on... Firstly I can't see how that tells them your actual size, and secondly... you then take your bra on and off whilst trying on the new ones with the fitter still in the room. (Well I did). Odd.
  • Options
    Most places will do it woth the bra on. When I worked in retial we wearn't allows to measure without a bra or a top on. Not so bad for small boobs, not very nice when someone an F cup or above wants to be measured and doesnt wear a bra.
  • Options
    i've only been measured twice and both times it was with bra on. i think it's silly, how can you measure someones bra size when they're wearing a bra.. 1 that might be too small/big for them!
  • Options
    In fairness most poor fitting bras won't actually change the size of your breasts, they just mean that the support isn't right so measuring with one on isn't such a disaster.

Anywhere half good will only take the measurements as a starting point and will then look at the fit anyway.
  • Options
    Whenever I've been measuered it's been with a bra on. The measuerer has measured around the rib cage to get the band size. They have then either made a judgement call on what size I should wear based on the cup size I'm wearing, i.e. if the cup fits well or not. So it doesn't really m atter if it's padded or not tbh.
  • Options
    I think it's best to try on loads of different sizes and get the one that fits the best.
  • Options
    I've never been measured! I just try on bras around the size i think I am, and settle with the one that fits the best.

But from friends' experiences I think in most cases you keep your bra on. On figleaves.com there is a step-by-step guide to measuring yourself, and how to look out for a badly fitting bra.
  • Options
    I offer a free bra measuring service:thumb:
  • Options
    In the past i have been to places like M&S and Debenhams to be measured. They measured me with a bra on. But at Bravisimmo the lady gave me a few different bras to try on after she has roughly guessed my size. She came in after I tried each one on and adjusted it to see of it fits. I got a much better fit this way plus a drastic change in size. In the same week Debenhams measured me as a 40D and Bravissimo a 36F. I would say go to a proper lingerie store rather than a department store.
  • Options
    BRAVISSIMO!!

its just round the corner from the art store on queen street, and they are fab, honest. obviously they only do bras for the larger chebbed lady, but the fitting service is great, the folk are luffly :) DO EEET!