Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Apply in writing (help needed quick)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Only a small question but im gonna make myself sound dumb. Im new to applying for jobs lol and ive come across to jobs on my local newspapers website and they say apply in writng does this mean you have to hand write the application letter or can you still word process it?

Comments

• Options
    Word process it is fine.

It means apply on paper (although sometimes email is ok) as opposed to ringing up or walking in.
  • Options
    Ahh right ok thanks :)

One more question when im starting off the covering letter do i put dear and the persons name if i know it? like dear joe blogs?
    its been a while since i did GCSE english lol
  • Options
    Yup,

Dear Name Here,

then

Yours sincerely,

your name here.

Obviously with appropriate blah in the middle.
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote: »
    Ahh right ok thanks :)

One more question when im starting off the covering letter do i put dear and the persons name if i know it? like dear joe blogs?
    its been a while since i did GCSE english lol

(have all this to the right hand of the page) Your Name
    (have all this to the right hand of the page) Your Address
    (have all this to the right hand of the page) Your Telephone Number
    (have all this to the right hand of the page) Date

(have all this to the left hand of the page a line below your address) Dear Sir/Madam (or their name if you have it),

I am writing to you to in reference to your advert which was printed in my local paper detailing your current vacancy (if you have a reference number then quote it, if not it's fine, just detail the job title). I am writing to see if an applicant such as myself would be beneficial to the role as I am qualified in (list all your relevant qualifications/skills etc - it might be better to maybe bullet point the list).

- Key Skill such as team building etc
    - Good time keeping
    - Good team worker etc

I would also like to work for the company because (just bullshit your way through this, say they're reputable and appear to care for their staff or something bollocky like that. Just eat their arse with a ladle, man.)

As this letter cannot cover my full list of skills I think I would be able to bring to the company I would welcome you to respond to my letter; or perhaps contact me via telephone. My number is listed at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

(signature)
    (print your name in capitals)

Something along those lines worked for me in the past. Obviously my grammar and that may be pap, I've not wrote a cover letter in years.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Just eat their arse with a ladle

I shall remeber that :D lol
    Thanks for your help wish me luck on getting a job :)
  • Options
    and if you don't know the person's name and use sir/madam, then you sign off with yours faithfully- well, that's how I do it, but I think it's not such an important thing these days.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    and if you don't know the person's name and use sir/madam, then you sign off with yours faithfully- well, that's how I do it, but I think it's not such an important thing these days.

God, I completely forgot that.

Faithfully if you don't have their name, and sincerely if you do. What a dick.
  • Options
    Hiya
    Thought you might find these articles useful:

Covering letters

Writing the perfect CV

Contacting employers

Good luck with the jobs :)