Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

FFS Paypal

Are Paypal THE worst online business/service ever? I am so furious and upset with them, what a bunch of utter cunts.

I haven't bothered about my Paypal acount in months. In Feb/March I decided to sell all the old tat and unnecessary things we had lying around on ebay. Did so and managed to make over £1000. Left it in there because I wanted to keep it to buy specific baby-related things and I knew if I put it into my bank account it'd get frittered away. Anyway, went into my account at the beginning of the week and requested to withdraw the money. All went fine (or so I thought) got that email saying that the electronic funds transfer was in progress and just forgot about it since it takes about a week for them to come through.

Yesterday I got an email from them saying that they had limited my account access because I needed to resolve some queries they had about account activity. Logged in and went through the five million stages of verifying stuff, proving ID and ticking boxes about whom I'd sold to, whether they'd received the goods etc (almost 3 months ago!?). I thought that'd be the end of that but now they are apparently going to contact all the buyers - why? What does it have to do with them, surely if there'd been a buyer complaint it'd have been made ages ago... and I know that all the goods were received, as described etc as I've been in contact with them all!

Couldn't be arsed with the stress of it all yesterday so I left it. Went back on this afternoon and now apparently I owe them 1200 quid rather than vice versa!? WHAT? I called them up as they seem to completely ignore and/or miss the point of my emails and was told that they are holding my funds because of my supposedly suspicious activity and that they are legally allowed to do this (as per the user agreement) for something like 180 days. Seriously? Why?

This is basically just an angry rant, since there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. I have tried reasoning, being threatening and basically having a big tantrum but to no avail. Are they going to keep my money for six months or something? They've got some brass neck :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thats disgusting - I'm sorry thats happened. I bet you really don't need the hassle right now!

I had about £900 in my paypal account just before Christmas (all stemming from one ebay transaction) and that was a pain in the arse to get hold of.

Hope ur ok :)
  • Options
    OFFS! I hear they really can be arsehole dickfaced knobhead wankers about it, and that people really do end up waiting that long for their mahoolah. FFS, if they spent less time fannying about with llegit people and more time chasing up the scammers then maybe they wouldn't have such a bad reputation!
  • Options
    Cheers ladies, being completely powerless is the worst, most infuriating thing about it. If it was the bank fucking about then I wouldn't think twice about going down there and shouting the odds but they're just useless idiots at the other end of a very slow emailing process.

To be fair I had been warned that Paypal are total cunts to sellers and protect the buyer a lot more, whereas Nochex are the other way around. I'm a bit confused though as it says the transactions are reversed, surely they haven't given the buyers of three months ago their money back. They'd better not have. Lesson learned anyway, I think I might take on a new life vocation preaching the evils of Paypal :grump:
  • Options
    You wouldn't be the only one- fuckers! Try not to let yourself get too het up over it until you know the final verdict- easier said than done though, I know. Arsewipes!
  • Options
    Yeah, they really are awful. I started a one-man boycott. They wouldn't let me make a quick account because there was already an account on my email address. But I didn't have the password so I couldn't make a new one. They told me to fax over a copy of my driving license... I don't have a fax OR a driving license. So screw them. I just made a new email address. Far easier.
  • Options
    I'd never ever let PayPal or any other company like that hold more than 100 quid, I just don't trust them especially after whats been said here.

Is there a phone number to bring? Tell 'em you'll pass the debt over to a bailiff!

I had a negative balance of about 0.60p and I tried to top it up but it never seemed to get to 0.00 I ended getting so pissed off because the last transaction I made to them was going through but I got a final payment notice from them and so I emailed them again and told them to stop being so threatening while this payment was pending and they cleared the balance after I sent them that.

I wasn't aware you get charged by PayPal if you make a small transaction and every time I put more money in to clear the negative balance it said it was still -x.xx so they were still taking money off me.
  • Options
    Makoto, it's interesting that you mentioned keeping no more than £100 balance. I have done the same in my 6 years of eBay/Paypal use. Having said that, I have brought one item costing £195 through Paypal and that transferred to the seller fine.

Briggi, did you by any chance get a new debit/credit card recently? I had a friend who had hassle when making a transaction - Their debit card expired and got given a new one, but they forgot to update it on Paypal. Because the transaction was attempted on an expired card, the account was suspended. It was then a rather a hassle to get it back into motion.
  • Options
    Silverberg wrote: »
    Yeah, they really are awful. I started a one-man boycott. They wouldn't let me make a quick account because there was already an account on my email address. But I didn't have the password so I couldn't make a new one. They told me to fax over a copy of my driving license... I don't have a fax OR a driving license. So screw them. I just made a new email address. Far easier.

:eek: Long time no see!
  • Options
    Makoto they have started telling me that THEY are going to pass the debt to bailiffs if I don't restore the balance. Bastards, they really haven't a clue and I've no idea why it didn't go down to £0 rather than a negative balance. Someone's cocked up somewhere and it certainly isn't me.

As for calling them, just getting hold of their number was like getting blood from a stone and it's an 0870 number that keeps you there for 5 years. No thanks.

I'm pretty sure it could be quite easily resolved if they actually told me what the problem was. As is it just seems like they enjoy keeping hold of my money and don't want me to get it for another 173 days...

Silverberg (hello, by the way!) I will join your boycott. Though I wouldn't use Paypal again if they paid me... which seems to be fairly fucking unlikely :razz:
  • Options
    I have had problems with ebay - not being able to sign in etc and then I just thought oh sod it I will just buy with postal orders and have been doing but paypal keep sending me emails saying that my account is suspended and has had suspicious use and all this. Should ring up and sort it out but can't be bothered with the hassle of it all. I will join the "we hate paypal" group I think
  • Options
    Argh thats awful you should give trading standards a call and ask for some advice!
  • Options
    I don't know why PayPal hasn't been reported to the monopolies and mergers commission

They're owned by eBay - there are other well established payment methods out there like NoChex and yet they're banned from being included on ebay.

Google CheckOut will go someway to giving PayPalthe kick in the butt it needs BUT it's banned from eBay as well.

Time Google Started their own Auction website
  • Options
    seriously- owned by ebay! that is a fucking pisstake!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    seriously- owned by ebay! that is a fucking pisstake!

Didn't you know?

They bought PayPal ages ago - before that they allowed various electronic payment methods including NoChex - now PayPal is the only one they consider safe?

If that isn't an abuse of Monopoly position I don't know what is

they get money from listing fees, success fees and then PayPal fee's

It's about time eBay had a competitor and in fact they way they've messed up the British Listing by removing them from eBay.com and only putting them on the UK sites now is an opportunity for someone to do just that.
  • Options
    I did not know that and think it's a disgrace! And, why the fuck do they have to investigate sellers actions on ebay and hold on to the fucking money when it's the same friggin company? Sly skankin mutherfuckerS!
  • Options
    technically they're different companies

one owns the other.

http://news.com.com/2100-1017-941964.html

Where you can I'd suggest sending money via Google Checkout as it's free until the end of the year and even after that it's a lot cheaper then PayPal.

http://globaltechforum.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=rich_story&channelid=3&categoryid=5&title=PayPal+vs+Google%3A+Battle+at+the+checkout&doc_id=10671
  • Options
    I had real problems with paypal a few years ago. Its ok as long as you dont try and withdraw the money. I tried several times and it was refused, and they charged me a fortune each time for the attempt. Eventually my balance just dwindled wih every attempt so i just had to use the money to buy something else off ebay rather than have it in my bank account. Theyre crafty bastards and completely unavailable for help or support with problems.
    I so hope you get it sorted out. It might be worth contacting a paper for that sort of money tbh.
  • Options
    I need to withdraw money very soon fro PayPal.

It's been about a year since I needed to withdraw any money and put it in my own Bank Account and I've noticed the word "Unverified" next to my Bank Account and it asking me to do a Direct Debit form so they can take money OUT of my bank instead of credit card.

This is obviously some kind of scheme to cut costs. As they must have to pay the credit card companies something. They say if anything goes wrong during the withdrawal process they'll charge £14

So I've setup a 2nd online bank account awaiting PayPal to send two test amounts at their own expense to link it to my PayPal account and then once that works withdraw all the money - just leaving a few pennies in there.

After that I intend to use Google Checkout as much as possible.