Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Degree...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This might sound really dumb, but what is the difference between a degree and an honours degree?

also, if i have a confirmed conditional offer but decide i want to change course but stay at the same uni, would that be allowed or not?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    one you get BSc (Hons) after your name the other you just get BSc :p

here's some info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honours_degree#England.2C_Wales_and_Northern_Ireland

"Honours degrees are of a superior academic standard."

:)

changing course at the same uni is often very easy to do once you get your foot in the door. give the uni a call and have a chat with them about it, you may not even have to fiddle your ucas stuff around.
    Nutter wrote: »
    This might sound really dumb, but what is the difference between a degree and an honours degree?

an honours degree requires 120 credits at level 3 (honours level) an ordinary degree or a "degree" only requires 60
    do you think it matters to potential employers if you have a degree or honours degree then?
    depends entirely on which employers it was you were intending to apply for I would imagine :yes:
    I was told that hons degree means you have done a dissertation and just a degree means you havent its just based on coursework and exams etc...
    God damn dissertation writing!!!!
    AB2404 wrote: »
    I was told that hons degree means you have done a dissertation and just a degree means you havent its just based on coursework and exams etc...
    God damn dissertation writing!!!!

I did a joint honours degree so no dissertation and mine still has (hons) at the end of it.
    lipsy wrote: »
    I did a joint honours degree so no dissertation and mine still has (hons) at the end of it.

I did a single degree and no dissertation, and mine still has (hons) at the end. The dissertation rumour went round people on our course, and our lecturer said it was bullshit. I think it's just the number of credits you do (but I don't think you can fail a few and get it downgraded). I've also heard that it requires a piece of independent research, but I'm not sure (presumably an honours course would have this as a compulsory module if it was true).
    As there's no universal standards regarding degree marks, I'm sure this varies from Uni to Uni.

At Bristol, everyone gets (Hons) after their BSc, BA, LLB etc. unless they fail an exam outside of first year. Thus if you have to retake anything, you lose your (Hons) bit.

So barring a fail in my 5 remaining exams (unlikely since I heard, unofficially, that I bagged a 1st in my Russian oral - fuck yes), I'll be a lovely BA Hons chap.
    As there's no universal standards regarding degree marks, I'm sure this varies from Uni to Uni.
    :yes:

The thing with credits are all specific to individual universities as is the requirement for research etc.

Some of the 'better' (i.e. higher up most league tables) universities only issue honours degrees, if you don't pass with honours then you don't graduate!