Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Beckham back in England squad

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6694743.stm

Good to see McLaren eating some humble pie.

It's the right move IMO. He certainly can make the team play worse than they are at the moment!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well the proof of the pudding will be in the playing as it were. What is absurd is that David James isn't in the squad.

Get a bad name from the papers and thats it for you, regardless of how well you play.
    If someone's playing well, they should be in the squad. It's when they're getting picked on their name alone that you get the problems, which is what used to happen with Beckham. This time he's in the team on merit.
    Well whether he's still got it or not remains to be seen but England's lack of drive and passion has been very evident since Beckham's departure.
    Well whether he's still got it or not remains to be seen but England's lack of drive and passion has been very evident since Beckham's departure.

Not once did they play well during the World Cup, and Beckham was playing then was he not?

Good move though, I think he'll be used to get the Nigels through the qualifiers first and foremost - then see where the land lies before the next Euros if they do make it.
    Step backwards IMHO
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Not once did they play well during the World Cup, and Beckham was playing then was he not?

But he did score the winner against the mighty Ecuador. I personally think England have missed his work rate and his general drive.
    Step backwards IMHO
    There is nothing wrong with dumping a player when he's not performing well. But I cannot help but think McLaren got rid of Beckham to make a statement and try to look the tough guy and prove he's his own man.

There might have been reason not to select Beckham after the WC but given England's performances since he should have been recalled a few games ago IMO.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with dumping a player when he's not performing well. But I cannot help but think McLaren got rid of Beckham to make a statement and try to look the tough guy and prove he's his own man.

There might have been reason not to select Beckham after the WC but given England's performances since he should have been recalled a few games ago IMO.

Beckham hasn't performed for England since he scored against Greece IMHO

McLaren dumped him because Sven didn't have the balls to do it when he was boss. Beckham was given 90-odd caps to show what he could do, how many has Lennon been given? What about Bentley?

We should be building a squad for 2010 and the current selections should be geared towards that aim, not towards headlines in the media.
    I don't think Beckham will be there for long- and I'm sure neither does he- but the next 3 official England games are critical. Maybe once qualification is assured Beckham can be dropped again?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    the next 3 official England games are critical. Maybe once qualification is assured Beckham can be dropped again?

See, that's where we disagree. I don't think that they are. I think that qualification for 2010 is more important and I'd happily forgoe a trip to Euro 2008 if it means a decent chance of winning in 2010.

Would be nice to look at the long temr rather than the next 90 minutes.

Of course, I know that the scum media and burberry clad wankers don't see things that way...
    ....and a lot of the rest of the population.

it will be a fucking disgrace if we dont qualify for euro2008. and surely the experience of the tournement would only help the team for 2010.

besides, winning 2010 will be even harder because its in africa. every world cup outside europe has been won by argentina/brazil, while every world cup held within europe (bar 1958) has been won by a european country.

beckham should never have been dropped. he had aready taken a step down from the captaincy. there was no reason to drop him other than mclaren wanting to make a statement. he is argueably the best english player in decades. real madrid fans were chanting his name for ages today after the match. they fucking love the guy, and im pretty sure man u fans love him too. the fans of the two biggest clubs in the world dont love him for no reason.

(and theres too many 'IMO's' in the thread... IMO.)
    drumbeat wrote: »

Being in a majority doesn't make you right though ;)
    it will be a fucking disgrace if we dont qualify for euro2008.

Why?
    and surely the experience of the tournement would only help the team for 2010.

On what basis? Did qualification for every tournament since 1994 help in 2006?

Failure in 1994 actually helped more because it lead to the removal of a crap manager and a change in style...
    real madrid fans were chanting his name for ages today after the match. they fucking love the guy, and im pretty sure man u fans love him too. the fans of the two biggest clubs in the world dont love him for no reason.

Perhaps they should watch him play for his country then?

Besides, many United fans were glad to see the back of him.

IMHO
    normally i would agree with picking players on merit, but when they're 32 and you're trying to build a squad for the future then maybe it isn't the right thing to do. i don't think beckham should have been dropped from the squad in the first place though so now mcclaren looks a bit of a twat, there were plenty of other players that didnt perform in the world cup (the name lampard springs to mind lol), beckham was just a scapegoat, de ja vu...
    I just hope in a major match they don't keep an injured / Not 100% Beckham on for the sake of it..
    Beckham has consistently been one of England's better performances, but McLaren dropped him for the sole reason of trying to prove that he was his own man, etc etc. If you are going to drop Beckham on grounds of merit then I fail to see why you keep selecting Lamplard every bloody game.

Now that he has gone, I think we should have focused on the younger generation. Beckham is a backward step- he isn't going to be fit enough once he's playing MLS. Select someone like Lennon or Pennant instead- they're the future.
    What about Bentley?

Now You've just digraced yourself
    Now You've just digraced yourself

Not really, have you seen him play for Engalnd, seen the job he can do?

Thought not.

Just because he isn't the greatest for Blackburn doesn't mean that he couldn't cut it with three lions...
    Originally Posted by drumbeat
    Being in a majority doesn't make you right though ;)
    you implied that pretty much all intelligent life think that sacrificing going to euro 2008 to win 2010 is a good idea, and that only the 'scum media and burberry clad wankers' would disagree. which is a load of bollocks.
    it will be a fucking disgrace if we dont qualify for euro2008.
    Why?
    because it will mean that we have underperformed. i dont expect to win it, but i would expect to at least get to the quarter finals of a competition that only contains european countries.
    euro2008 is our best chance of getting anywhere near an international final within the forseseeable future. the world cup in africa will a shitload more difficult to do well in, and euro2008 is a real chance for england. (1, the climate. 2, one less knockout stage. 3, there are less good teams that good beat us. 4, it has a history of non-favourites doin well, eg denmark 92, greece 04).

and surely the experience of the tournement would only help the team for 2010.
    On what basis? Did qualification for every tournament since 1994 help in 2006?
    Failure in 1994 actually helped more because it lead to the removal of a crap manager and a change in style...
    so you dont think that the players would learn something from going to austria? what will the learn sitting at home watching russia play sweden? and dont try some witty reply. i wouldnt mind actually knowing what your answer to this is.

real madrid fans were chanting his name for ages today after the match. they fucking love the guy, and im pretty sure man u fans love him too. the fans of the two biggest clubs in the world dont love him for no reason.
    Perhaps they should watch him play for his country then?
    and that would make them all change their minds then, yeah?

plus, youre implying that beckham has been shit in every england game for 6 years. which again, is a load of bollocks.
    IMHO
    i know its your opinion. honestly.
    Move backwards????? hmmmmm not too sure.
    End of the day we've being shite since the world cup, Beckhams on fire for Real Madrid so he should be in the England squad, simple!! Any England player performing well for one of the best teams in Europe should be in the England squad, regardless of age or whats happened in the past!! If he comes back and doesn't perform for England then he should be dropped again!!
    Lampard should be dropped!!
    Lennon in my eyes is an excellent player for the future but I personally feel we need Beckhams experience to ensure we qualify for the Euro's, I also believe it would help Lennon greatly having Beckham in the squad!!
    I hope Mclaren has some balls and doesn't start with Lampard, Hargreaves normally but he musn't be fully fit yet cos he isn't in the squad so I'd try Carrick n Gerrard in the middle!!
    Move backwards????? hmmmmm not too sure.
    End of the day we've being shite since the world cup, Beckhams on fire for Real Madrid so he should be in the England squad, simple!! Any England player performing well for one of the best teams in Europe should be in the England squad, regardless of age or whats happened in the past!! If he comes back and doesn't perform for England then he should be dropped again!!
    Lampard should be dropped!!
    Lennon in my eyes is an excellent player for the future but I personally feel we need Beckhams experience to ensure we qualify for the Euro's, I also believe it would help Lennon greatly having Beckham in the squad!!
    I hope Mclaren has some balls and doesn't start with Lampard, Hargreaves normally but he musn't be fully fit yet cos he isn't in the squad so I'd try Carrick n Gerrard in the middle!!

I agree with all of this. Beckham is playing well at the minute, so play him. It's alright saying we should be building a team for the future, but there won't be a future if we don't get our arses in gear and qualify for this. And I would love to see Lampard dropped. Mclaren wouldn't pick Beckham for a start because he wasn't good enough, so why should Lampard be in the side just because he's Frank Lampard? At the end of the day, he just hasn't been performing...
    Well? Did his performance convince any doubters?
    Nope. Not further on, he'll still retire soon and we still didn't try anyone different out there...
    he did well. should help out against estonia. i think he still has a role to play.
    *ahem*

:p
    Still nothing, I'm afraid.

The starting line up was the same as the World Cup, barring injuries. i still don't see how this helps us in the long run. Listen to the panic when it was thought that Bechkam would have to come off...

There is no Plan B
    The guy was fantastic tonight, i think he shouldn't drop so deep at times but he offers somethign nobody else can.

People keep bringing up Lennon he has been awful for England, and infact in several Tottenham games i've saw him in he's been woeful.

Beckham shouldn't have been dropped when he was, he was the best player in an awful world cup team, he was by far one of the better, more consistent players at the World Cup.

Having said that, for the previous 4 years he was playing on his reputation and that Greece game, first he wasn't fit, then he just wasn't performing, and was deserving of the calls for him to be dropped IMO, but the last World Cup he was a good player in a poor team and now he's deserving of being the first name on that sheet again, in my opinion

Editted to add: Have to agree with MoK - No back up plan, i can't understand the fascination with Lennon, i think he's poor and is unable to cross.
    I think Wright-Phillips is a better option but even he isn't ready to take the helm yet
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Editted to add: Have to agree with MoK - No back up plan, i can't understand the fascination with Lennon, i think he's poor and is unable to cross.
    I think Wright-Phillips is a better option but even he isn't ready to take the helm yet
    Wright-Phillips trips over the ball more than any other player in the world, only way he beats a man is by stumbling thru with his pace and a lucky deflection most of the time, Lennon is by far the better player and the future of England, he is just too young and in-experienced at the minute to handle the pressure that comes with playing for England!

MoK - I understand what your saying but we've got to look at the here and now, if we get obssessed by the future then we won't qualify for the Euro's and that would be a massive blow for the country and the morale of any player in the squad!
    Beckham has prooved in the last 2 games that he deserves to be in the team, just because he will be retiring soon doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the team if he's knocking balls in like the ones we saw for the last 2 goals, no player in the world can whip a ball in like that - FACT, so why leave him out???? It just doesn't make sense!!
    MoK - I understand what your saying but we've got to look at the here and now, if we get obssessed by the future then we won't qualify for the Euro's and that would be a massive blow for the country and the morale of any player in the squad!

In the last two world cups he was injured, in the Euros he wasn't on form. If we ignore that possibility then the management will be rightly criticised.

What options do we have, that we have tried? What were the commentators reactions at the thought that he was going to come off last night?
    What options do we have, that we have tried? What were the commentators reactions at the thought that he was going to come off last night?
    Errrr whatever options we had didn't work - another fact!!
    I rate Lennon but he's just not ready, hes better getting more experience being used as a sub at the minute! imo
    Like I've said many times before, if someones performing for their club they should get a chance with England, If they bring their form to England they should stay in the side, its quite simple. You shouldn't look at the past, you shouldn't look at age, you shouldn't look at the future, you look at the here and now and whos performing at the best level, and Beckham has shown in the last 2 games he deserves to be in the squad and in the team!! A couple of poor performances and the jury is back out on him but when he's performing he has every right to be in the team regardless!
    Errrr whatever options we had didn't work - another fact!!

We tried something?

Sure we tried Gerrard on the right but few of us would have done that as norm, Lennon seems to have spent most of his time injured and Wright-Phillips has been given about four chances, apart from as sub.

Friendlies are where we should be trying something but we don't, for some reason.
    Beckham has shown in the last 2 games he deserves to be in the squad and in the team!! A couple of poor performances and the jury is back out on him but when he's performing he has every right to be in the team regardless!

I would have him there at this moment in time. He was rightly dropped and his form has improved. Against Estonia. See what happens against someone who pushes him wide or deep - bet you don't get half the performance. Then when we don't we haven't tried Plan B...