Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Best films so far this century

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
For me, Mulholland Drive, In The Mood For Love, Lilja 4-Ever, Together, Spirited Away, The Departed, City Of God, Lost In Translation, Elephant, Dancer In The Dark, Dogville, Ghost World, Napoleon Dynamite, Bowling For Columbine, Zatoichi, Garden State, Irreversible.

What's everyone elses favourite films from the 00s?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not a big movie fan; but i do agree with City of God, good movie. Lost in Translation is a funny one; It really made me think outside the box (if that makes sense) and SpiceWorld the movie was an all time classic :p
    whats the big deal with spirited away? I mean its a good film but its really strange.
    What's the big deal with Lost in Translation? Seriously, fuck. That film is so bad.

EDIT: And what's the deal with saying it sucks? It seems to be one of those "trendy" films to like, where noone dares speak out against it. If you do, you're simply met with retorts along the lines of: "Oh, you just don't get it."
    Idiocracy.
    I watched mulholland drive the other day.. and i was just plain confused. :no: towards the end anyway!!
    but apart from it confusing me i didnt like it much anyway.

best films of all time (for me!!) include the following:
    labyrinth, nightmare before christmas, star wars (original trilogy), back to the future(s), indiana jones, lord of the rings, the patriot, postman, face off... monsoon wedding.. and i cant think of any more right now :D
    Takeshi's
    Devil's Rejects
    Spider-man
    Way of the Gun

Of all time?

Vanishing Point
    Stalker
    Battleship Potemkin
    Sonatine
    The Conversation
    The Killer
    Don't Look Now
    Peformance
    White of the Eye
    Lost Highway
    The Staight Story
    Orphee
    Kiezo wrote: »
    What's the big deal with Lost in Translation? Seriously, fuck. That film is so bad.

EDIT: And what's the deal with saying it sucks? It seems to be one of those "trendy" films to like, where noone dares speak out against it. If you do, you're simply met with retorts along the lines of: "Oh, you just don't get it."
    To me it seems more like one of those films that everyone says sucks, just because they didn't think it was as good as other people. A film really has to be really bad for me to say it sucks, and I get the feeling with certain films that people just say they suck as a reaction to the positive opinion of everyone else. Another example, Donnie Darko.

It's a great film because it has great acting, a great script, and brilliant photography all the way through. And it's far more believable than all the cheesy bullshit romantic comedies that come out every year. That answer your question?
    whats the big deal with spirited away? I mean its a good film but its really strange.

I think the second half of your question answers the first. ;)
    Jim V wrote: »
    The Staight Story

I reckon I have to watch that one again before I get it properly. If it wasn't a Lynch film, I'd just take it at face value, but I know there'll be a load of other crap going on in there.
    To me it seems more like one of those films that everyone says sucks, just because they didn't think it was as good as other people. A film really has to be really bad for me to say it sucks, and I get the feeling with certain films that people just say they suck as a reaction to the positive opinion of everyone else. Another example, Donnie Darko.

Not many people I know have seen it, but everyone that has liked it. Donnie Darko I loved, Napoleon Dynamite I hated, but I can see why other people don't. Lost in Translation... nothing happened. Sitting around Japan with awkward silences and shit jokes for the entire movie? Then it not actually going anywhere at the end? Yes, I know you may that's the point. You may say it's a more accurate potrayal of real life than "cheesy bullshit romantic comedies", but it doesn't make for a good movie.

Two more examples of these kind of movies (that everyone seems to shit their drawers over, even although they are baaad) are Punch Drunk Love and Fargo. Fuck, they're terrible.
    Not many people I know have seen it, but everyone that has liked it. Donnie Darko I loved, Napoleon Dynamite I hated, but I can see why other people don't. Lost in Translation... nothing happened. Sitting around Japan with awkward silences and shit jokes for the entire movie? Then it not actually going anywhere at the end? Yes, I know you may that's the point. You may say it's a more accurate potrayal of real life than "cheesy bullshit romantic comedies", but it doesn't make for a good movie.

Two more examples of these kind of movies (that everyone seems to shit their drawers over, even although they are baaad) are Punch Drunk Love and Fargo. Fuck, they're terrible.

You don't like Fargo? Oh, I see the problem here. You've got a shit taste in films. :p

Well, it's very thematic. It's basically a romantic about alienation, the symbolism is very subtle. I'll admit it's quite boring and not much goes on...I love the film but I won't jump on anyone that says they don't like it like I'm sort of film guru. Some like it, some don't...boo hoo who gives a fuck?

Btw...I think it's been a shit decade/century for films, can honestly say I don't any film stands out as a classic so far.
    and Fargo. Fuck, they're terrible.

Now I might have to take action here, Fargo is a fucking legendary of a movie. What do you see wrong with it?
    About A Boy
    Save The Last Dance
    Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind.
    Almost Famous.
    Moulin Rouge.
    Amelie.
    That South Park movie.
    Little Miss Sunshine.
    28 Days/Weeks Later.
    Road To Perdition.
    The Ring.
    Big Fish.
    Requiem For A Dream.
    Saw.
    Finding Nemo.
    Shrek 1&2.
    Spirited Away.
    Cast Away.
    Memento.
    Kill Bill series.
    Sin City.
    Donnie Darko.
    American Psycho.
    Crash.
    About Schmidt.
    Mean Girls. :razz:
    And it's far more believable than all the cheesy bullshit romantic comedies that come out every year.

Guilty as charged, although I can't stand American rom-coms like Hitch and all the rest of them. Found Donnie Darko to be a load of wank from what I saw, although I wasn't really paying attention when I was watching it tbh.

Anyway, the best of a bad bunch...

Ali
    Love Actually
    About A Boy
    Wimbledon
    Mothman Prophecies
    Ice Age
    A Beautiful Mind
    Last King of Scotland
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    A Beautiful Mind

I agree. Almost everyone I know who has seen it hates it, but I loved it.
    I think the second half of your question answers the first. ;)

do you mean its a good film in general or its a good film because its strange? I liked it, it was well put together and animated brilliantly but it seems a bit over rated.
    Anything by Almodovar.
    th royal tenenbaums - love that film
    spirited away is great.
    The Godfather :heart:
    otter wrote: »
    The Godfather :heart:

We're talking about films that're made from 2000 onwards. But Godfather is a good contender for the best film of all time. :razz:
    1983 wrote: »
    We're talking about films that're made from 2000 onwards. But Godfather is a good contender for the best film of all time. :razz:

oh.
    was wondering why noone had mentioned it yet:blush:
    Films I've liked this century...Brokeback Mountain, Munich, Mystic River, C.R.A.Z.Y, Wah-Wah, Latter Days and All About Lilly Chou-Chou.