Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Three missing 'Terror Suspects'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
From the Beeb

Posters will probably have been keeping abreast of developments in the story about the three absconders who were on Control Order for suspicion of terror related activities.

John Reid, along with Tony Blair writing in the Telegraph, claim control orders are flawed, and this story is a
'symptom of a society that puts civil liberties before fighting terrorism'
this quote comes from the outgoing PM

I think this is face-saving exercise; I think, after reading the provisions of the control orders in the Prevention of Terrorism Bill (22nd Feb 2005), that the restrictions are already severe enough within the act, which allows the Secretary of State to engage in what seems to be his favorite pass time of circumventing the EU convention on Human Rights, I quote;
2 Derogations from the right to liberty

(1) The Secretary of State may make a control order imposing an obligation that is incompatible with the controlled person?s right to liberty under Article 5 of the Human Rights Convention if, but only if?

(a) he is satisfied, on the balance of probabilities, that that person is an individual who is or has been involved in terrorism-related activity;

(b) he considers that the imposition of the obligation is necessary for purposes connected with protecting members of the public from risks arising out of, or associated with, a particular public emergency;

(c) there is for the time being a designated derogation in respect of that emergency from the whole or a part of that Article; and

(d) the obligation is of a description of obligations which, for the purposes of that derogation, is set out in the designation order.

full text can be found here

A bad workman always blames his tools; this is face-saving exercise because they weren't monitored adequately and Reid's making out like its a problem with legislature.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that the most telling comment came from John Reid when he said that we shouldn't be worried because these men posed "no threat".

So why the fuck were they under control orders in the first place?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    absolutely, none of it makes sense.