Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Horse races

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it possible to easily explain how to bet on horse races? I've looked online and asked some people and it goes straight over my head. I just want the very basics, though more so than saying I want the one in the green saddle to win, so I could make a wager or two, but that just seems impossible :p

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a bit different over there isn't it ? You have trifectas and quinellas. We may well do over here but with different names.

The two basic ways are on the nose, that is to win.
    Or each way, which pays if it comes 1st 2nd 3rd and sometimes 4th in big races.
    I'm not an expert on betting but I know of a few people that are involved in the racing industry in the US that should know this.
    I can post your question on that forum if you want. Many of them are betting on each other's horses, between countries and so on so they should be able to help you figure out how to do it and possibly how to find out more about the horses you're betting on. :)
    I've never made bets at a bookmaker, but my understanding is as follows:

A bet of 10:1 will decuple your stake and your stake will be refunded, so it's essentially 11 times your money.

5:1 will be quintuple and your stake back, so it's 6 times.

5:2 will be five divided by two (2.5) and your stake back, so it's 3.5 times.