Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fat and bird flu!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are fat people really more vulnerable to the avian bird flu disease? One of my friends has been telling this to me. Is that true? I feel very scared from eating poultry products now;in fact I have already stopped eating poultry products because I have heard that there is no cure from this disease. My sister has kept two birds that i need to get rid of too.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    makenzi wrote: »
    Are fat people really more vulnerable to the avian bird flu

No, but they take a lot more stuffing !
    makenzi wrote: »
    Are fat people really more vulnerable to the avian bird flu disease? One of my friends has been telling this to me. Is that true? I feel very scared from eating poultry products now;in fact I have already stopped eating poultry products because I have heard that there is no cure from this disease. My sister has kept two birds that i need to get rid of too.
    well... atm thats just plain paranoid. and no fat people are not immune from bird flu. wtf. having said that, older people have less chance of catching it but that because of their less effective immune reaction.
    Gah.

Even if you actually live with birds who come into contact with other birds (ie, wild ones), and eat their poo, and kiss them, there is less than a 0.00001% chance of you getting avian flu in this country.

There are NO current recorded cases of bird flu in this country at the moment, and there is NO chance of you getting bird flu from eating poultry - the H5N1 virus is broken down entirely by the cooking process, and all livestock is heavily monitored before being slaughtered anyway.
    The few isolated cases have been where the birds have contracted it and people have been living with them essentially (I.e. in s.e asia). Don't worry about it.

When / if the pandemic comes, apparently it will kill 1 in 10. :chin: I got told by one of my teachers a few years ago at college lol. But in the UK we will be much better off than those in countries such as India, China etc. where there is a lot of overcrowding and public health services aren't brilliant.

I mean, there's asteroids heading our way, plots to blow up the country, global warming etc. and yet with all this, you're still more likely to die from being hit by a car.

Well in fact, most people will manage to avoid the cars, and get to a nice old age when either heart failure or cancer kills most. Skin cancer being the most highly spread cancer. So wearing sun block will save your life a million times over than losing weight to try to avoid bird flu.

(Also, consider human flu: it is spread human to human. Unless you know any humans with bird flu (0 in the UK) then you're safe. Cross species migration is very rare and so in the millions of bids we have thats where theres only been a hundred or so cases which are quickly isolated.)
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    (Also, consider human flu: it is spread human to human. Unless you know any humans with bird flu (0 in the UK) then you're safe. Cross species migration is very rare and so in the millions of bids we have thats where theres only been a hundred or so cases which are quickly isolated.)

It's not even if you know humans with bird flu, it's if you know humans with bird flu and then it mutates so it's possible to spread from human to human... that's when the pandemic would occur. And that certainly hasn't happened yet.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    This is spam! There are "hidden" links in that text (but apparent to me).
    I've taken the links and underlining out. makenzi - if you're putting links into your posts, make sure the text isn't underlined so people can clearly see what you're linking to.
    Thanks.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    So it wasn't spam? In that case sorry, but it's the same method I've seen a lot of spammers use: Underlining the whole text so the links aren't visible.
    being fat doesn't mean that you're more vulnerable!!!! the link leads to an article about bird flu/avian flu, really instructive. its http://www.drugdelivery.ca/bird-flu.aspx ... i just read it.. wow,, are you sure it doesn't affect people anymore.. i'm getting the flu and well, i must admit i'm a bit concerned now.. NO cure???? Like AIDS or something?? help me god please .
    being fat doesn't mean that you're more vulnerable!!!! the link leads to an article about bird flu/avian flu, really instructive. its http://www.drugdelivery.ca/bird-flu.aspx ... i just read it.. wow,, are you sure it doesn't affect people anymore.. i'm getting the flu and well, i must admit i'm a bit concerned now.. NO cure???? Like AIDS or something?? help me god please .

:rolleyes: I think that perhaps you should look for some information on a website that doesn't have a vested interest in selling antiviral drugs, to be honest.

I ask you the same question that i asked the orginal poster; have you eaten bird poo recently? If not, you probably just have the flu.

(and if you think 'you're getting the flu', you're not. You're getting a bad cold. Flu tends to be fairly sudden onset).