Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Life without a washing machine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you do it?

Mine exploded a few months ago...I have literally piles and piles of washing all over my flat.

Hand-washing is a nightmare, especially for big things like towels and sheets.

I guess I'm going to have to find a laundrette, how much do they usually cost? I hate the idea of having to sit in there for hours waiting for my washing to be done. Mind you, if a man comes in and strips off, as in the Diet Coke ad, it wouldn't be too bad.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Use a laundrette!

Cost varies hugely, it's something like £6 for the one round the corner from the office, but they are monster size machines. The one in halls was £1.40.

You can hire them too, it'd be worth looking into.
    Use a laundrette!

Cost varies hugely, it's something like £6 for the one round the corner from the office, but they are monster size machines. The one in halls was £1.40.

You can hire them too, it'd be worth looking into.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can sneak into the local university and use their ones?
    Look into buying a second-hand machine, or use a friends?
    I can't imagine that unless it's a closed campus you'll have too much problem using their laundrette.

It's a good time to get reading done. When i lived on campus, i used to chuck it in, go to the bar, come back and stick it in the tumbledrier, go to the LCR (the club on campus) and take it out when the club finished. Perfect :D
    Have a look round the local laudettes and see if you can find a cheapish one. Use the biggest machines and fill them to get an economical wash. You dont have to tuble dry everything if you have the space to hang dry stuff round your flat. Maybe just the sheets, towels etc can be tumble dried.
    katchika wrote: »
    Hmmm, I wonder if I can sneak into the local university and use their ones?

doubt it would be a problem, and will probably be the cheapest.
    To be honest I've always found that service washes at laundrettes are surprisingly cheap - they really don't charge a lot more than it would cost yourself (at least round here) - so just drop off the washing in the morning and pick it up in the evening for a few quid extra.
    Life without a washing machine? Hell. I hated it at uni, because I never lived in proper halls with a launderette. I agree with Jim, pay someone else to do it, or you'll be wasting half a day every time you go.
    katchika wrote: »
    How do you do it?

you get your arse down the laundrette or buy a new one. also you never leave you clothing even for a second in self service machines or else some bugger will nick it :grump:
    Jim V wrote: »
    To be honest I've always found that service washes at laundrettes are surprisingly cheap - they really don't charge a lot more than it would cost yourself (at least round here) - so just drop off the washing in the morning and pick it up in the evening for a few quid extra.

But doesn't that mean some old lady going through your smalls?!?! :o
    It's ten pounds at my local laundrette. You could buy a machine on payments for that!
    £1.40 for the washer plus £1.00 for the dryer at the laundry back in my uni days.

I currently have my own house with a second hand washer/dryer all-in-one. Personally, if it packed up, I'd shell out £350 for a new unit. If you go on Currys and pay an extra £20, they'll scrap the old one for you. Very handy. Had it done with my fridge/freezer and cooker so far.
    take it round to your mums. :D
    Put a wanted ad up on your local freecycle? I've seen loads of washing machines come up on there recently. As long as you know someone with transport big enough to collect the thing then it's job done.
    Look in the ad-mags and get yourself a second hand one.